088 worth $650.00??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom8726

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had a message from a local tree buisness today saying they are going out of buisness and are selling off there saws. He said he has a 088 with a 3' bar he wants $650.00 for it. Should I call him back? I never even seen a 088 in person so I have no idea if its just a boat anchor or not.

The biggest of Stihl line it is a boat anchor if you do not need it. I use mine a few times a year on the biggest of cuts and for ripping large stuff. One of those deals of better to have and not need...... They sell new up around $1500, and the 3' bar might add another few hundred new. Depending on the condition it could be a real bargain.
link below to Stihl site and description.
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS880.html

ive seen ms460s go for that price, mine as well get it if you think you might need it, if not you can always sell it again and probably make a profit if your willing to wait for someone who is willing to pay more. they are worth almost double the money. but just be careful that its not a saw thats been burned up and has to be sold to make a little extra money.

Sold my 084 for over 700$ so an 088 for 650$ is a good deal. Most tree guys at least around here only pull out the big saws once in a while and they in general get less use and abuse than their smaller saws. I'd go for it.
e7fb_3-1.jpg

If it's not too beat up looking it is likely a great deal. The truth is most tree services that have one of these probably do not use them all that often unless that was their mainstay for a big saw. I would run it for a good 5 minutes before you hand over any cash though. Good Luck.

I use mine for milling they are awesome lumber making saws... I would give 650 for a good runner even if it did not look all that good. They are one of the best saws I've ever milled with.:cheers:

I called the guy back and left a message, So will see if he calls back. I have a 394xp with a 36" that handles pretty much everything I need, but if its a good deal I might just buy it anyways. If not and its still available I will forward the guys contact info. Thanks for the quick replies!!

Last edited:
I am going to take a look at it in the morning. He must really need to sell it because he called me this morning when I was on my way to the woodsman show in boonville and then again at 6:30 tonight. I don't need it but its hard to pass up a deal.

Was at an auction this morning near the town of Willard, Ohio. Had a nice looking 088 with 36" bar and 404 chain, went for $750.00. There was also a 394xp with 24" bar that went for $300.00 needless to say it found its way into my car.

Was at an auction this morning near the town of Willard, Ohio. Had a nice looking 088 with 36" bar and 404 chain, went for $750.00. There was also a 394xp with 24" bar that went for $300.00 needless to say it found its way into my car.

I would rather pay $300 for a 394xp than $750 for a 088 anyday of the week! nice score!
:cheers:

Nice find, has a newer style fuel tank so it has been worked on, but if it runs for that price, sweet deal.

Nice find, has a newer style fuel tank so it has been worked on, but if it runs for that price, sweet deal.

Yeah, he told me he was cutting a big log and got to far under the log when it came off it craked the gas tank. It started right up first pull, I let it run for a few minutes just idling and then sunk it in a piece of oak. No matter how hard I pushed it, it did not bog. I then shut it off waited 30sec and one pull later she fired right back up. Heres the best part though, $550.00 with a brand new chain.

Latest posts

Back