090 (Hotsaw in progress) Sprocket Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eMGunslinger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats the biggest sprocket someone would recommend 10ish? Saw is being heavily worked no where near stock.

It all depends on how you run it. I don't race but have a friend that does and talk about this stuff alot. If you get a bigger sprocket you may start to have bar and case issues. It could run a bigger sprockets for the right person and setup.

I have a 9-pin on a ported 385xp, runs it with no problems. Raker height doesn't vary much from an 8-pin. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the 10.

With 3/8 chain I would think you should be able to easily pull a 12 pin and maybe 13 depending on just what is done to the saw. To run those kind of gears you will need to do up a custom bar.

Thats the way to do it. Should dig up a few bars too, 25" and 28" bars cut down nicely to run the 12 and 13 gears for the 11 I think you should be able to trim the heal and reposition the holes from a 21". Though if you are cuting 16" plus wood a trimmed down 21" might be too short to keep from cutting with the bar tip.

So what mods are you packing into the saw?

Couldn't u just run a 24"? I mean the stihl rollo es I have only tapers down the first 3" on the back of the heel anyway. So it would still put you at roughly a 20" bar. I understand why you take so much off it's to meet up with the bar that way the chain exiting the sprocket is close and even with the bar rails so it doesn't derail.

As far as mods, intake and exhaust at at maximum width intake lowered a tad/pinch/smidgen, exhaust is lowered a tremendous amount and surprisingly enough still isn't even close to free port (piston skirts are way long). I put the biggest tillotson carb on HL-360A. No base gasket, adjusted squish, compression reads 180-190....if it won't pull a 13pin I may make a tune muffler drop exhaust more for torque and all and dome the piston in it.
Right now it's at roughly 13.5k, I check temperatures on it and it's still running cooler than one of my stock saws
Before I tweaked it I was pulling a 42" with full skip and it was ok speeds I guess then after I was done the different was tremendous. So far I have been very impressed

Latest posts

Back