090G rim sprocket! pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first batch arrived!
I have 5 now and assuming all goes well a couple more!
It is depending on the burn mold. It looks like I will get at least 30-35,
but if my luck holds up well 45-50.

I will be posting the add in the tradin-post. Hope buy this weekend to have that worked out.

Now for the specs.
I didn't know what the best way to put them through the ringer as for checking durability, so I just used the saw. It saw a 27" bar for at least 6 tanks, milling 2 logs (38" diameter) with a 66 bar, ripped 6 oak logs to be quarter sawn, saw at least 10 tanks plus++ just ripping large rounds (42" bar) so they could be mover to the splitter or piled. All in all I have 25-40 tanks of gas through one now! It saw 1/2(7), .404(8) and 3/8(8) rims. The wear is equivalent as what I would see on a 090 that has seen similar labor.
The 090G I used it on was a stock 106cc top end.

If any one knows of a better way, or just a good test to put them under I would love to hear any advice or suggestions.

Now for the important part. I LOVE MY MS460!
I respect any one that actually lugged that saw around the woods for a living, I would have just set the saw down and rang the bell at the landing throwing up the peace sign as I walked home! I think every muscle in my back hurt or got strained as I tried to use it as much as possible.

Here is a pic of one that I just slapped on a 090G tonight.
It is a 3/8 8 pin rim.
attachment.php

Good stuff. Just wondering, what do you do to put that many tanks of fuel through an 090 anyway? :chainsaw: I could heat my house for the next ten years on that much cutting time!

Milling might stress the drivetrain a bit more than bucking, but it's not exactly practical do go out and do a bunch of milling if you don't need to and you're not set up for it.

Good stuff. Just wondering, what do you do to put that many tanks of fuel through an 090 anyway? :chainsaw: I could heat my house for the next ten years on that much cutting time!

Milling might stress the drivetrain a bit more than bucking, but it's not exactly practical do go out and do a bunch of milling if you don't need to and you're not set up for it.

I sell firewood! (56 cords this past winter, sold out first week of November)
As for the milling look at pic below(once I stack the new slabs I will get some other pics up over in the CSM forum (BobL is waiting for them. LOL!). I have a pile of wood that is pretty intense to say the least. I sell slabs, firewood, and (oak quarters to the mill, once a oak log is in true quarter form and the grain is still true, then you get grade 2 times grade #1. and mostly then they can fit it on there mills)
I realize I live in Ohio and it is not know like Canada or Western US. but I seem to have a steady supply of logs that believe it or not push 3-4' and many 5' diameter.(not dbh, it is lying in the pile!) So for me to test a saw I only need to walk 75' straight back and as long as my back holds out, I can cut all day all night for a year. Then I am sure that I will get in another 60 apprentice-crane load of logs in before that happens.
The main reason to make these were for milling, I have been lucky to get some amazing logs in(super straight Sycamore that is musical grain, Oak-Cherry-Maple that is amazingly figured, not to mention the Walnut crotches that come around.) And want the flexibility off the rim.
I will answer this one real quick, why not mill them with a traditional mill! the mill set need would cost over $50-75,000 to handle the logs I get in, to do what I want with. I know there is a million way to to do one thing. I like to use my saws, and since I have the CAD, it is all gone down hill from here.
attachment.php

I sell firewood! (56 cords this past winter, sold out first week of November)
As for the milling look at pic below(once I stack the new slabs I will get some other pics up over in the CSM forum (BobL is waiting for them. LOL!). I have a pile of wood that is pretty intense to say the least. I sell slabs, firewood, and (oak quarters to the mill, once a oak log is in true quarter form and the grain is still true, then you get grade 2 times grade #1. and mostly then they can fit it on there mills)
I realize I live in Ohio and it is not know like Canada or Western US. but I seem to have a steady supply of logs that believe it or not push 3-4' and many 5' diameter.(not dbh, it is lying in the pile!) So for me to test a saw I only need to walk 75' straight back and as long as my back holds out, I can cut all day all night for a year. Then I am sure that I will get in another 60 apprentice-crane load of logs in before that happens.
The main reason to make these were for milling, I have been lucky to get some amazing logs in(super straight Sycamore that is musical grain, Oak-Cherry-Maple that is amazingly figured, not to mention the Walnut crotches that come around.) And want the flexibility off the rim.
I will answer this one real quick, why not mill them with a traditional mill! the mill set need would cost over $50-75,000 to handle the logs I get in, to do what I want with. I know there is a million way to to do one thing. I like to use my saws, and since I have the CAD, it is all gone down hill from here.
attachment.php

Nice work Teddy! Don't ya just love it when a nice piece of lumber comes off your mill, puts a smile to my face every time!

Some nice edge grain Cedar I did last year!

attachment.php

That is truly some fine work...to be able to make parts for your own use is one thing...doing it well enough for others to use is something indeed.

That is truly some fine work...to be able to make parts for your own use is one thing...doing it well enough for others to use is something indeed.

Thanks Mastermind!
But keep in mind it was my wallet that did the machining, and my back that did the testing! I hope that they are wanted or needed by others, hate to have to get a 090G for every one to justify them! LOL!! That seems like a double conundrum.

I am currently having 2 other projects worked on for them, I see I am not in the boat alone for a couple parts that are more then difficult to find for a saw that I seem to be infatuated about! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mastermind!
But keep in mind it was my wallet that did the machining, and my back that did the testing! I hope that they are wanted or needed by others, hate to have to get a 090G for every one to justify them! LOL!! That seems like a double conundrum.

I am currently having 2 other projects worked on for them, I see I am not in the boat alone for a couple parts that are more then difficult to find for a saw that I seem to be infatuated about! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

What other parts are you trying to find?

What other parts are you trying to find?

I got a couple pics to share, and a pm on the parts coming!

I don't have an 090G, but if you happened to get a few made to fit an 041G I might be interested in one... I don't like being stuck with 3/8"-7P.

I have 5 rim set ups for the 041g now,
I am having 10 more made from the blanks of the key used to imprint the 090G rim sprockets. They will be the tail end of the run.

Teddy I hope you put me on the list for those quality looking parts. My 090G is getting converted over to solid state ignition. Then we should be ready to rock. I also had a brand new Stihl chain made up, 1/2" pitch .063 Gage , found out my Ice chain is more wore than I thought it was.

Beefie

I got a couple pics to share, and a pm on the parts coming!

I have 5 rim set ups for the 041g now,
I am having 10 more made from the blanks of the key used to imprint the 090G rim sprockets. They will be the tail end of the run.

:clap:

So what would it take to pry one out of your grip once they're done and you're comfortable with the quality? Keep in mind mine will NOT see much use - I doubt my 041G will drink as much gas in the rest of my lifetime as you have already put through your 090s testing them. So you don't have to worry about me running the snot out of it and then coming and complaining if it fails.

Teddy I hope you put me on the list for those quality looking parts. My 090G is getting converted over to solid state ignition. Then we should be ready to rock. I also had a brand new Stihl chain made up, 1/2" pitch .063 Gage , found out my Ice chain is more wore than I thought it was.

Beefie

It is done! If you want a .404 sprocket just hollar! I will get it to you!
I think that roller nose bar needs to be on the display side of the saw!
Grad a bar of ebay and run a .404 chain, a little cheaper on the pockets as well! (Still jealous of your score with that bar! LOL)

:clap:

So what would it take to pry one out of your grip once they're done and you're comfortable with the quality? Keep in mind mine will NOT see much use - I doubt my 041G will drink as much gas in the rest of my lifetime as you have already put through your 090s testing them. So you don't have to worry about me running the snot out of it and then coming and complaining if it fails.

NO PRYING NEEDED!
Never really mention it, I think you, me and a hand full of others are the only ones really putting gas in them to run them! gotta try this, 1/2 rim + chain and a 20" Duromatic bar! It is a MACHINE! I am SLOWLY, SLOWLY working on a couple 041G's. all new gasket, bearings and seals. One is getting a super top end. Had a parts 041 super saw but sold it because it was complete. Came across another one that was dropped or something. The P/C are like new, so I will go for it. Another member here said that the shaft for the gear is the same as the Homeys as to the spur gear. BillG or Hoss I am sure know.
Either way, I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back