1/4 pitch .043 Narrow kerf issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m stumped, I purchased a couple woodland pro chains and they don’t work with my bar. Everything is supposedly the same, 1/4 pitch .043, 64 DL, Stihl rollomatic mini bar matches. Stihl chain in the same size is fine. Drivers on the chain look the same, spacing is the same, chain rolls through the drive spur fine, but is not riding the tip sprocket right. It acts like the pitch is off but I measured with calipers and it’s spot on.
The woodland pro tie straps, and cutters are larger, but I don’t see how this could cause it to not ride the sprocket, since the drivers appear to be the same.

Anyone else run into this issue, or have advice?

I've experienced compatibility issues with 1/4" pitch. I think it has to do with metric vs standard and differences in tolerance. I had a chain work perfectly on the clutch and not on the bar sprocket, and another that was a bad fit but usable. Basically some 1/4 parts are universal, others in between, and others completely not compatible. It's best to try to use all the same brand.

Interesting. Contact Bailey’s and ask them. Other customers probably have experienced similar issues, and they may have some insight.

And let us know what you find out!

Philbert

I may be guessing.
A spur drive sprocket is wider than the chain, the nose sprocket is the thickness of the bar groove. The drive one contacts the tie straps, the nose one wedges between the drivers. Perhaps they only tested it on carving bars without a nose sprocket. Perhaps they took a chain for 1/4 pitch and 0.050 gauge and modified the drivers but ......

I may be guessing.
A spur drive sprocket is wider than the chain, the nose sprocket is the thickness of the bar groove. The drive one contacts the tie straps, the nose one wedges between the drivers. Perhaps they only tested it on carving bars without a nose sprocket. Perhaps they took a chain for 1/4 pitch and 0.050 gauge and modified the drivers but ......
Funny thing is I can’t see a difference below the tie straps. Once 3-4 drivers roll through, the sprocket pushes the next one out the rail or binds it up.

The simple thing to do would be return or offer to return. For curiosity, take the chain stretched straight at 90 degrees to the bar, wrap around the nose and note the clearance to bar tip. Do with both brands of chain.

Their 3/8lp 0.043 chain appears to be their (perhaps Carlton as well) 0.050 product with thinner drive links. Stihl mini 1/4 might not work out doing similar.

Latest posts

Back