1 saw plan???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mostly similar cutting and as much as I love the STIHL MS 400 with a 25" STIHL Lightweight bar and semi-chisel chain hand-filed for the job, I've looked at a MS 261 for the weight savings as sawing is only part of the job. The only reason I don't yet have a 261 is STIHL will likely be upgrading their smaller saws in the next model year or so and passing down the MS 400 advances; an over-bored 261 would make for a nice MS 300.

If i were to own only one saw it would be the MS 400 due to utility, reliability, power-to-weight ratio, weight, balance, parts availability, and local dealer. If not for the dealer then I'd look into Echo for the same reasons and online parts availability.

When someone mentions bearing down on a saw to make it cut it means they don`t know how to sharpen or shape a chain to self feed itself, no one should have to waste time and exert effort to get the chain to self feed, even the lightest saws I use self feed in any species of wood I encounter. A self feeding chain saves a lot of expended energy in a full days cutting and is a pleasure to use to boot.

Cant do it with one saw. Looks like you got a lot of small limbing to do. Fighting that with a 20" saw is going to get old quick.

Get a 2511 top handle And a CS-4910 if you can still find them.

Maybe its a one year job then

Cant do it with one saw. Looks like you got a lot of small limbing to do. Fighting that with a 20" saw is going to get old quick.

Get a 2511 top handle And a CS-4910 if you can still find them.

Maybe its a one year job then

Nah, if 20" wood is the biggest that'll be encountered, one saw can definitely do it. My one-saw plan for over a decade was an 034S. Supplied three households with wood, 40+ cords on that saw. Small enough to limb with, big enough to buck up bigger wood when needed. Took apart three 5ft diameter cottonwoods with that same saw.

The 034S was the 60cc light saber of it's day, and for one saw, the current equivalent isn't a bad idea at all.

I'd use a 50cc saw for that stuff.
It's pretty similar to what I cut up for firewood, you spend more time limbing and bucking the top small part of the trees than bucking the butt ends so the smaller lighter 50cc saw is the best in the end.
Right on, there will be very little wood in the 20" range left over after a commercial harvest and cleaning up tops means most all the wood is down in the horizontal position, no amount of felling to be done, just cut the limbs free and blocking up the leftover stems, small diameter stuff. I use one of my ported 026`s in these situations but not everyone has or can get an older 026 in good shape these days, the 261 is a current saw has most of the good things the porters used to do to the older forerunners of this model, someone at Stihl paid attention.

1 SAW??

giphy.gif

How far down do you cut? I cut anything down to an inch in firewood and would NOT like to do that much limbing with a 50cc saw. (Too many miles on my shoulders and elbows for that crap)
I would much prefer to be slower in the big stuff and work with a strong 40-50cc saw.

Mike

How far down do you cut? I cut anything down to an inch in firewood and would NOT like to do that much limbing with a 50cc saw. (Too many miles on my shoulders and elbows for that crap)
I would much prefer to be slower in the big stuff and work with a strong 40-50cc saw.

Mike
There are probably 300 tops plus anything that got pushed out of the way or busted up while felling. I won't be wasting time with anything under 3".

My Stihl 029 was handed down from my father, its 30 years old and has worn a 20" bar for just as long and has cut hundreds of cords without a hiccup

as for a professional style/good at cutting most wood i would pull out my Echo CS590, its flawless after a muffler mod + tune and will pull a 24" without blinking.

I'd be waiting for the new 543xp. Or try and find a nos one. I've really come to like the 40cc saw class for smaller stuff. I run a zenoah/redmax gz4000 which is an earlier design to the 543xp. It's a real ripper and doesn't weigh much.
Current production I'd be grabbing a ms261. Husy doesn't have anything to compete with in its class for a light weight 50cc saw. Not that there's anything wrong with a 550xp, I just like the 261 better.
These 2 suggestions are made assuming you actually have a bigger saw and don't wad to deal with the extra weight for no reason. But, if I had to get rid of all my saws but one, I'd keep the ms400. (And beg to keep my 390xp too.) Light, nimble and powerful for its cc size.

Call me crazy. I like to use a battery powered Dewalt reciprocating saw with a 6'' blade to clear the small stuff before getting out the chainsaw after felling a tree. It's not as fast but safer for certain cuts. I just bought some 9'' blades as another alternative, for those who like more tool choices.

Call me crazy. I like to use a battery powered Dewalt reciprocating saw with a 6'' blade to clear the small stuff before getting out the chainsaw after felling a tree. It's not as fast but safer for certain cuts. I just bought some 9'' blades as another alternative, for those who like more tool choices.
I'll be the first to say it, you are crazy.

I'd be waiting for the new 543xp. Or try and find a nos one. I've really come to like the 40cc saw class for smaller stuff. I run a zenoah/redmax gz4000 which is an earlier design to the 543xp. It's a real ripper and doesn't weigh much.
Current production I'd be grabbing a ms261. Husy doesn't have anything to compete with in its class for a light weight 50cc saw. Not that there's anything wrong with a 550xp, I just like the 261 better.
These 2 suggestions are made assuming you actually have a bigger saw and don't wad to deal with the extra weight for no reason. But, if I had to get rid of all my saws but one, I'd keep the ms400. (And beg to keep my 390xp too.) Light, nimble and powerful for its cc size.
I do have a bigger saw, and I ain't buying a 40cc.

Latest posts

Back