1 saw plan???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a bigger saw, and I ain't buying a 40cc.
Took me a bit to warm up to the idea of a 40cc saw as well, so i kinda understand where you're coming from. But, that basically means you want a 50/60cc saw then, 550xp or ms261, 562xp or ms400. I'd rather the 261 then the 550.
If money isn't an issue then the 400 would be preferred over the 562xp, but I did love my 562xp till it gave some issues and parts were unobtainable. My 400 has been fantastic so far. Really close to the same weight as a 562xp and noticeably more power.

My ‘one saw’ for years was my 066, lol. 24-42” bars in a leather ‘sheath’ I made. 24 stayed on most of the time.
Then I got a 346xp…2-saw plan 😁

one question not brought up yet. with all of this wood basically flat on the ground, how much bending over do you want to do all day?
a 60cc with 24” bar takes that out of the equation.
my vote: 1-saw, 1-bar….ms400, 24” lite bar, comp chain.
1-saw, 2-bar…add a 16”

definitely get a Hookeroon!

The logging crew is done in our woodlot, and I've got a 2-3 year project ahead cleaning up tops. It's all Sugar Maple for the most part, and most of it is under 20". If you were limited to toting 1 saw for this type of work, what would it be???
Will Sugar Maple last 2-3 years in the weather without rotting?

Didn't you just sell a nice tidy 353 with a 346 top end on it... I would've thought that was damn near the ideal starting point. With a muffler mod, squish set, maybe a light port & a couple of deg advance & it will cut damn close to the 261 most have suggested & weigh less to boot... & you already have it

Didn't you just sell a nice tidy 353 with a 346 top end on it... I would've thought that was damn near the ideal starting point. With a muffler mod, squish set, maybe a light port & a couple of deg advance & it will cut damn close to the 261 most have suggested & weigh less to boot... & you already have it
Nice little saw, but I have a different 50cc that I prefer.

Would you mind sharing what that is, & why you prefer it... I know the 346 isn't the be all end all of ~50cc saws, but many still consider it right up there
550 MKII. I like the way it handles. It will run longer on a tank of fuel. The only time I noticed the weight difference was when I set them on a scale in the shop.

I like my 261 for a lot of my cutting in the size range you mentioned. BUT if i run into stuff slightly bigger that my back says needs noodled I like the 400 and it has just a bit more power when I'm in that 18-20" range in logs. I've been running and liking a Hexa chain on my 462 and am considering putting one on the 400.

The logging crew is done in our woodlot, and I've got a 2-3 year project ahead cleaning up tops. It's all Sugar Maple for the most part, and most of it is under 20". If you were limited to toting 1 saw for this type of work, what would it be???
I'll give this warning up front. Stihl saws are the only thing I'm really familiar with. Husqvarna and Echo make good saws too, but I don't know the ins and outs of their models so I can't make recommendations on them. I own mostly older saws, but I've run a few of the newer models while cutting with others. My go-to saws for 90% of my firewood (mostly hickory with some Locust, and oak thrown in along with a little ash and walnut) are an 026 and an 036, both wearing 18" bars with .325 chains. The 036 performs nearly all of my bucking activities. For anything over about 20", I use my G660 with a 28" bar which also gets used to noodle anything I can't lift onto my splitter.

For your application, my recommendation would depend on a couple of things. First off, what kind of shape are you in? If you haven't hit 45 yet, or are in pretty good shape, I'd strongly recommend a Stihl 400. It's 0.5lb heavier than the 362 (but only 1/4 lb heavier than the older 036 and MS360) but generates over 3/4 hp more power. Get an 18" and a 25" bar for it, and it will meet all of your needs.

If you'd rather not be lugging around a 13 lb power head all day, then I'd go with an MS261 with a 16" and a 20" bar. At 10.8 lbs and 4 hp, if you go any lighter, you have to give up a significant amount of power. The 261 will be noticeably slower in your bigger tops, but it won't wear you out nearly as fast either. While I prefer more power for bucking firewood, clearing tops requires a person to reach out with the saw now and then. That extra 3 lbs makes a huge difference at that point.

If budget is an issue, I can say that I'm pleased with my Farmertech clone (G660), but you HAVE to be willing to wrench on your saw if you go this route. There were a handful of parts that I had to replace on my G660 before I actually put it to work, but I knew that was going to happen up front. Everything was easy to replace with factory Stihl parts, and I had maybe $50 in the replacements. For me personally, if I had to start over and found myself in your shoes, I'd probably buy a G260 and either a G366 or G444 (clones of the MS260, MS360, and MS440 saws). I'd start off with the Holzfforma bars and chains, and upgrade to Oregan/Stihl bars and chains as my budget allowed. I'd budget around $700 for everything which would include the Stihl replacement parts and Holzfforma bars and chains. That's about the going price for a new MS261 in my neck of the woods. Buy from US Stock if they are available. The shipping is free that way, and you get the saws in about 2 business days. Other wise they ship from China, and it can take a month or two. By the time you add the shipping cost, your at the same price (or more) than the cost of the saw from US Stock. If you want to go this route, PM me and I'll give you a list of the parts that I would replace as soon as the saws arrive.

A quick story about powerheads and weight. Last week I went down to Clarksville to help with some cleanup. The group I was going with said that the county had asked them to come back because they (the county) didn't really have much of the equipment needed for the cleanup. Silly me, I thought this ment that they were dealing with some bigger trees. Turns out, they just didn't have much in the way of moving limbs out to the road where their track hoe could reach it to put it in the dump trucks. So, with this information, I opted to bring my 036 and my G660 with 18" and 28" bars respectively, but I left my 026 at home. When we got there, we were mainly dealing with a LOT of cedar trees. Nothing bigger than 16". I regretted my tool selection choice before I even started my saw. Within the first hour I was really feeling the consequences. Thankfully, one of the guys I went with had brought his Echo 310 (9lbs, 30cc). He messed up his knee the night before we left, so he drove down and ran errands for us. He offered his little saw, and I gladly primarily ran it for the duration of the trip.

The reason I share this is because having the right tool for the job makes a big difference. Typically, I hate running anything that has less than 3hp because it is such a waste of time. However, there were very few cuts that I made on that trip that were over 6" in diameter and that little 30cc saw did just fine, especially since it was 100 yds down hill back to the trucks meaning it was 100 yds uphill to get back up to the work.

For firewood, I cut most of the limbs off flush with the trunk so I'm making a wider cut, and I'm often essentially cutting through a knot in the process. I deal with everything in log form until I get it back to the house, and I don't take anything home that's much less than 6". When I'm in the woods, I use the 026 remove most of the stuff that I'm not going to take home, but my 036 still gets used to cut pretty much everything that I'm keeping. Plus, when I pinch a saw, I have the 2nd saw to get me out. I run into this a fair amount when I'm dealing with tops. I never go into the woods with only 1 saw. I may not ever start the 2nd saw, but if I need it and don't have it, I'm hosed. I've used an axe to free a saw before. No fun.

Wandering around a bit I know, but I have gone through quite a bit of that little limb stuff with an HT131.

I have also dropped some fence line barbed wire filled leaners that I was a little afraid to be close to with and HT131.

My pole saw has become one of those "Why didn't I get this years ago!?" tools. It's like Excalibur for blackberries.

Latest posts

Back