100:1 killed only the best saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They swear that the carb was not touched, although I couldnt tell and if they did that maybe they moved the screw when it seized. I wasnt there when it was going on had I been the saw would have gone home with me the instant the rev changed.

Mixing fuel:

I don't have a tree cutting business and a bunch of helpers on a payroll. But do have some saws, I intend to keep going. I would never trust anyone to mix up my fuel for me, I always do my own. Have seen friends mix up their fuel and wonder if they had done it right for themselves, so again I mex my own for my own saws, not that I would let my friends run my saws either. Let alone borrow them. They've asked and I say no. The best thing anyone can do for their own saw investment is to start mixing their own fuel, for their own satisfaction, that it's mixed right. JMO. Lewis.

Lewis, I wouldn't guarantee that it'd be mixed right always, but you sure wouldn't have anyone else to blame! Lol.

okay so amsoil may be a good product although not my favorite.. but CAN ,, the 100-1 talk,, its distributors brag about..
thats what i was hearing from several guys selling it.. im just glad i never tried it on a saw that ws gonna have to do heavy cutting..right now i wouldnt be afraid of it at,, say 40,50-1 .. still,, i just prefer what im seeing from mx2t..this from an person who really likes the reg stihl ,husky,echo mix, also..jmo

To Crofter:

Your right, I'd only have myself to blame if I mixed the fuel and the saw siezed/blew up. There was some question on the chain. Seems that when the next days work was to be started, that the saws and chains would and should be up to par. If there was any question on the chain, it would be properly sharpened or replaced for that days work. Why let someone over work a perfectly good saw all day because of a chain that was in question. Preventitive maintenance is the key to equipment longevity. Right fuel/mix and proper maintenance of saw, bars and chains. The only other thing to worry about is the experience, knowledge and what common sence the operator has, wheather be it the owner or his helper. As far as I can see mosst people don't have the common sence to fill the spats of a louse and shouldn't be allowed to operate power equipment. That and the mentallity that most people/helpers have is that, it doesn't belong to me and if it it breaks, so what. I'm not the one that's out anything. I'm not trying to start anything, probably judging a little harshly, but JMO. Lewis.

Last edited:
I won't argue about what ratio of oil/fuel people should run, but what I have seen in real life is this:

The average boater or Sears Chainsaw/trimmer owner cannot mix fuel/oil right. First off they usually do not even know what ratio they want. Then if they do figure that out they must have forgot grade 1-3 math lessons. Once you know what ratio you need to mix how can it be hard to mix it? Assuming the gas pump reading for Gallons or Litres is working and your oil bottle has a sight glass or you own a measureing cup (my fav) how can you get it wrong? As we all know 50:1 means 50 parts fuel to 1 part oil. That could be 50 ounces of gas to one once of oil or 50 truck loads of gas to one truckload of oil, but it is still 50 parts to one part. The average person still cannot grasp this. Heck even if they had a pencil and paper it is not hard to figure out, yet I constantly see people pouring in way too much oil or hardly enough for what they are running. Then there is my favorite, the (non pro) guy who puts "some" gas in the can then eyeballs
"some" oil. He might have 16:1 or he might have 200:1. There is one old guy where I live that always fills up an old oil can or coolant jug with gas at the pumps. He then throws, "some" oil in it. He is one of the local Husky shops favorites. He buys a new saw almost yearly or even more often. He only uses it for trimming around the farm, he is by no means a logger or arborist or even a fire wood cutting guy. He also comes in constantly with things other than fuel/oil in the tank and wonders why it won't run right.

About the only thing more comical to me is the guy who gets exactly "X" amount of "saw" or "boat" fuel for his can then buys a quart of 10W30 and either pours it in or takes off leaving you with the feeling it's going in that 2 stroke fuel.

Attn Erik Schmid

This from Lubes-n-Greases October 2004. Jim Taglia of The Independant Lubricant Manufacturers Association stated this:
...In late August, the ILMA announced a campaign to seek federal goverment intervention in what ILMA calls ExxonMobil's "predatory or abusive practices in its finished lubricant sales." ILMA claimed that EXXONMOBIL has raised base prices six times since summer 2003 but has not increased its own finished lubrication prices, squeezing and threatening the survival of independent lubricant manufacturers.

I have not seen any price increases in Amsoil's old line yet, but I wonder if it is now coming?

Back