100lb cylinder/back up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to go ahead and get the 120 pound tank. More than I would like to spend, but I think I would have more peace of mind when it gets very cold.

pounds? Gallons? Propane? Plutonium? what's the difference.... (he he)

no doubt he meant 120 gallon.

Futher research via google revealed you are probably right in the boil off, loss of pressure. I have never seen or heard of anyone having problems like that around here. 35 miles north of me is Leadville at 10,200 ft. Maybe not many people run small tanks, or they ain't tried to light the bbq in January.

I do like the idea of wrapping a heat tape to it.

Now you giving me idea.... I think I could hook a pressure gauge to the tank and watch it this winter while the furnace is cranking!

-Pat

no doubt he meant 120 gallon.

Futher research via google revealed you are probably right in the boil off, loss of pressure. I have never seen or heard of anyone having problems like that around here. 35 miles north of me is Leadville at 10,200 ft. Maybe not many people run small tanks, or they ain't tried to light the bbq in January.

I do like the idea of wrapping a heat tape to it.

Now you giving me idea.... I think I could hook a pressure gauge to the tank and watch it this winter while the furnace is cranking!

-Pat

MOST larger tanks,,do have a pressure gauge...the old tank i had[1000 gal], when it was brought out, the vapor valve was leaking.. not fast,but i didnt notice it till one day it was really quiet,,and i heard it standing by the tank...........three years later!!! and the tanks are supposed to be law,,be checked before they are delivered to a customer!!! so,,i went to the new owner!!, and said i needed a new vapor valve. after a ensuing argument,,and me threatening to call the dot, he handed it to me. i waited,till it was 40 below chill,,gooped the threads on the new valve,,and then proceeded to remove the old ,and put in the new..when its that cold,,the pressure is low enough[about 40 psi] that you can do this....you just have to hold down on the old valve when you remove it,,so it doesnt come off fast and smack yah!!! there will be a sudden onrush of gas upon removal,then it will slow way down,,then you put the new valve in....altitude has nothing to do with pressure,,temp does. set a butane torch outside when its cold,,and see if you can get it to light. 30 degress or lower..if a person bought a southern tractor,,that had been on a propane setup,,and it was run on butane,,then brought north,,when it was cold,,it wouldnt start,,no boiloff of butane...

Last edited:
so that's why there is a valve there...!!

Often times on boilers, pressure vessels etc. you find a valve, and a curly piece of pipe before the gauge. So that you can turn off and swap things out!
Interesting....

oly, you are a brave man. un corking a propane tank seems silly but you are correct there isnt a lot of danger, and the task doesn't take long.
I am quite sure you did not have any point of ignition within a reasonable distance! :angry2:

Often times on boilers, pressure vessels etc. you find a valve, and a curly piece of pipe before the gauge. So that you can turn off and swap things out!
Interesting....

oly, you are a brave man. un corking a propane tank seems silly but you are correct there isnt a lot of danger, and the task doesn't take long.
I am quite sure you did not have any point of ignition within a reasonable distance! :angry2:

DONT ,try and remove that valve in the summer!!!!! nuh uh!!! no curly pipe in the tanks ive removed the vapor valve from.. but there is a valve,,for tooo much flow,,in a LIQUID valve!!! and dont try and remove THAT liquid valve!!,, at ANY time!!!! good way to freeze burn yourself wherever it hits!!! unless of course,,the tank is COMPLETELY empty.. and yes..ive transfered liquid propane,,from one tank to another!! theres a way.....and i dont mean,,refilling small propane bottles.. im talking from a 500 gal to a 1000 gal....:D

Latest posts

Back