104 Octane too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using strictly non-ethanol when the Echo dealer said that the carbs in my Echo stuff were gummed up from using ethanol fuel and the warranty didn't cover it.

I figured Stihl probably has a similar policy so I only use non-ethanol on all my 2 strokes.

Longer storage is also nice especially when buying 5 gallons at a time; however, there were some times where I burned through a couple 5-gallon cans during the summer.

The more important issue is , using non - ethanol fuel for long term performance , Stihl uses 93 and Husqvarna uses 95 octane in there can fuels ,
My fuel , has a 1 1/2 shelf life 95 Octane made for small engine applications, yea it cost is higher, but the benefits and performance outweighs it all , IMG_1692.jpeg

My fuel , has a 1 1/2 shelf life 95 Octane made for small engine applications, yea it cost is higher, but the benefits and performance outweighs it all , View attachment 1115025

I get the VP 94 octane premixed when available but costs are climbing. I used to get a 5-gallon can for ~$85 and now it's up to ~$122.

The 4 cycle in the photo below was because no one had the premix in my area. I fill the gallon can of "Stihl MotoMix" from the 5-gallon cans for easier transport for the small jobs.

20230924_100201.jpg

I get the VP 94 octane premixed when available but costs are climbing. I used to get a 5-gallon can for ~$85 and now it's up to ~$122.

The 4 cycle in the photo below was because no one had the premix in my area. I fill the gallon can of "Stihl MotoMix" from the 5-gallon cans for easier transport for the small jobs.

View attachment 1115035
Mine is 52.00 for 5 gallons ,

Several years ago Tree monkey figured out the compression ratio on I believe a ported 440. Even at 225 psi, the compression ratio was only like 8.5:1. So fresh 87 is fine.

When fuel gets old, the lighter stuff evaporates out and octane goes down. The reason anyone recommends anything more than 87 is so that a year down the road, it is still at least in the upper 80s. Octane in the lower 80s starts to eat away away the piston and squish band from pre-ignition

Just wondering if anybody out there has ever ran 104 in 2 strokes or small 4 stroke engines. We finally got a local convenience store that carries 95,100, and 104 non ethanol in 5 gallon pails. I feel safe running 95, and really see no need to go above that, but the 104 is tempting.
I'm not sure of the gain you'll see other than faster wear and tear and higher engine temperature. Be sure to change your spark plug to one that handles higher temps.

My fuel , has a 1 1/2 shelf life 95 Octane made for small engine applications, yea it cost is higher, but the benefits and performance outweighs it all , View attachment 1115025
That is the exact fuel I bought. It did make my 550 auto-tune run a bit rough for about 5 minutes, but it soon smoothed out and I will never go back to ethanol. They have 100 and 104 too, but I just went with 95 and will continue to do so. Brings back memories of the good ol days when gas smelled good,even after a month.

That is the exact fuel I bought. It did make my 550 auto-tune run a bit rough for about 5 minutes, but it soon smoothed out and I will never go back to ethanol. They have 100 and 104 too, but I just went with 95 and will continue to do so. Brings back memories of the good ol days when gas smelled good,even after a month.
I’ve been using it for years, in all my 2T applications, never ever have any fuel issues,

104 is overkill I would run the regular e fuel if your using your saws regularly. Storage is when you have problems . Put the non e when you store the equipment . I use 91 non e in all my old cars ,trucks and equipment . But at this moment its 4.79 a gallon and is right at my local gas station . Have I used E gas in my cars or trucks, yes because when I'm 100 miles from my house an a trip I have to use what's available. Never had a problem as long as I run the E gas down and refill with non e a couple of times prior to storage .

Several years ago Tree monkey figured out the compression ratio on I believe a ported 440. Even at 225 psi, the compression ratio was only like 8.5:1. So fresh 87 is fine.

When fuel gets old, the lighter stuff evaporates out and octane goes down. The reason anyone recommends anything more than 87 is so that a year down the road, it is still at least in the upper 80s. Octane in the lower 80s starts to eat away away the piston and squish band from pre-ignition
If a chainsaw or other ope tool made 10-1 ratio I'd be impressed and picking up parts most likely.
Ymmv 😉

104 is overkill I would run the regular e fuel if your using your saws regularly. Storage is when you have problems . Put the non e when you store the equipment . I use 91 non e in all my old cars ,trucks and equipment . But at this moment its 4.79 a gallon and is right at my local gas station . Have I used E gas in my cars or trucks, yes because when I'm 100 miles from my house an a trip I have to use what's available. Never had a problem as long as I run the E gas down and refill with non e a couple of times prior to storage .
Sometimes I go through 10 gallons a day, while sometimes I go through 5 gallon a month. If I know something like a weed eater is done for the year, I drain it and put it away. Log splitter, saws ,brush trimmers, pole saw, garden tractor , and post driver will see use all year weather permitting. $62 for 5 gallons of decent gas is well worth it.

Higher octane fuels only control the flash point of the fuel. The lower the octane the lower the flash point . It’s all for detonation purposes. Higher octane allows higher compression and more advanced timing . The “heat” is controlled by additives . So in theory any gas can be made to burn hotter or cooler regardless of octane

Latest posts

Back