$1200 new ??? !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran many a C-52 and C-72s in the late 70s early 80s. They ran .404 chain and cut fairly well. Manual oilers only. I have no idea what he is talking about for price. They were not all that expensive (more than an XL-12 but not $1200 or I could have never afforded them). They were a beefy saw, but I got stuck on the Super Wiz 66s and they became my main saws.

458 Lott....thats a big gun.

Question for you:

Why did Homelite carry the C-series during the same years they had the
800 thru S-XL 925's ???? The 800-903-932-925 were every bit as powerful
but weighed less..

And why a "Super Wiz 66" vs. that 800-->925 series?

What were the focus and pro's & cons of those three totally different designs??

Really interested in your take on that.

Hi All, I am no homey expert but that looks like an XP1000 or XP1100 to me. I borrowed one from my wife's uncle to cut a big tree. I think it had a 6.5 cu in engine and a 36" hard nose bar with .404 chain. It was really a horse, I would think it was made in the mid 60's. What do you guys think?

weimedog,

I used the C-52 and C-72 quit a bit. They were the horizontal design Homelites that were the throwback to the C-5. etc. Manual oiler only and running .404 pitch chain. They had a lot of grunt for a 4.7 cu. in. saw. The Super XL-925s were horizontal design of about 5.0 cu. in. and cut considerably faster using 3/8 " chain. They were both manual and auto oiling. They cut fast, but I didn't think they had the same grunt. A friend of mine who cut pulp wood for Glatfelter was using Partner saws. One day he showed up with a Super Wiz 66. I ran the saw and was hooked. The gear drive was impossible to stall and with a bow, the thing was unstoppable for bucking-up wood. I loved the saw and quickly started running them. I used them for bucking up wood, not felling. They were slow cutting with that gear drive and 1/2" chain. If fact, I would get a stiff neck looking up at the tree lean while making the backcut. I quickly went away from them for felling. The fact that they cannot be stalled was their downfall. Gear driven saws are inherently dangerous because the won't stall. Should you be in the kerf and the tree starts to lean, that old saw will just keep turning and will throw you for a loop. Direct drive will stall. I liked the C-52 and C-72s alot, but they became dinosaurs when people all wanted speed. The Super XL-925s were the saw for fallers. Fast cutting, direct drive and running 3/8 " chain. I too, used them, but I will never cut loose of the Wiz. People around here don't understand the use of a bow. I can buck standing erect. The wood pinches back into the open part of the bow and I just keep on a cuttin'. The saw weighs in excess of thiry pounds (gas, oil, gearbox oil, bow and 1/2 " chain) and I just lay it on the wood and it wades through. Can't stall the saw even with all of my weight. The saw is vertical design (much like the Zip, 5-20, 700 series and the other Wiz 55 and 80) They will last forever if you take care of them. There is one offered right now on the used equipment forum for $300 I would buy in a heartbeat, but mine is kept in great shape and will outlive me. I guess I am an old timer, but I remember the days when Homelites ruled the forest. My always ate Macs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only other good saws were Stihl and Sachs-Dolmar. Partners, Poulans (Beaird-Poulans), and Jonnys were good but didn't hold-up to the abuse of running 10 -12 hours per day. My Homelites were good to me and my pocketbook. The vertical mounted Homelites seemed to last forever.

Lott, that was exactly what I was looking for and very informative. Thankyou
very much.:)

As a teenager I was put to work cutting plup wood in Alabama and used an
old Poulan-Baird saw with bow blade. It was much easier when the wood was
on the ground with a bow blade. (Real tough if I had to top them!)

My C-71 and XP-1020 are both torque machines with lower
working RPM's but seem to be able to pull longer bars in my hardwood than
XL's ..and You are right, now that I think about it; the XL's will
bog when the C's don't with the 28inch and larger bars I use. Without
putting thought into the process I use my XL-925 (20inch 3/8) more than all the others
when I only want to carry one saw...when I have the truck or tactor,
the XL fells and the XP bucks....and the big bars are ALL on either
the C (28inch .404) or XP (36inch .404).

My little Husky and the ones I use at work twist 11,000rpms and more but
if you get them out of their power band, they are done until you let them
get back to RPM's. CC per CC they make more RPM's and Power but not as
forgiving as the old torque monsters....

Good to hear it from someone who voted with their dollars and had to
make it a business decision.

I'm trying to build an old Super 77 but CAN'T find chain! (Have a built
power head)

Last edited:
The 66 was sold up through the mid 1980's. It hard to believe it was sold alongside the 750. I have access to a brand new one yet.

Bill

Latest posts

Back