15 Ton Splitter Build on a Budget - pic heavy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jags

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
226387d1330367530-pushplate-jpg
My self inflicted task was to build a smaller/lighter duty splitter. I wanted it to be pretty fast and I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of bean pods on it either. I have a pretty basic shop with the typical tools used for working with metal. Welder, torch, chop saw, grinders, etc. Nothing exotic.

I also have a wide variety of scrap steel and all the nuts and bolts for a couple of life times (my uncle used to work for Rockford Screw Products :rock:).

I knew that I had to purchase a couple of the big ticket items (I beam and pump), but much of the rest could be re-purposed from other stuff. The engine (14.5 HP electric start Briggs) came from a donor lawn mower that had a locked up rear end. I had the cylinder on the shelf (3.5" x 16"). I also have a non-detent valve that will be used. Some old hoses and a bunch of other junk.

I started with the cylinder mounts and wedge. This is a wedge on beam and as I said, I aimed to be cheap - so I built it with 2 pieces of 1" x 2" cold rolled stock, welded together. The push plate and rear mount:
226388d1330367552-rearmount2-jpg

Last edited:
Next came the mock up of the cylinder and getting at it with the stick welder. Serious penetration needed and the old Lincoln tombstone is up for the task.
226390d1330367744-mounts-jpg

226391d1330367745-mockup2-jpg

Last edited:
This thing is starting to get heavy, so its time to get it off of the horses and on to its own feet. The front tires of the donor mower is used for the splitter as well.
Axle mock up, motor mounts and motor mock up:
226393d1330368074-axlemock-jpg

226394d1330368075-mockup3-jpg

Last edited:
Axle bracing and front leg. It is now "rolling stock". Motor mounted and controls from the old mower fabbed up. This is a fair picture of the pump mount that I built underneath.
226395d1330368286-allthree-jpg

226396d1330368287-controls-jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that "cost" was part of the original game plan. I used hoses that I had so the plumbing looks a little "busy". I might just buy a couple of hoses to clean things up a bit. Might. Here is the plumbing and a rear view of the machine.
226397d1330368462-plumbing-jpg

226398d1330368464-rear1-jpg

Last edited:
Being that this is an electric start motor, a few wires come in to play. On the good side, it has wires intended for head lights. This may get a work light at some point. Wiring and firing. Proof that it works.:laugh:
226399d1330368609-wiring-jpg

226400d1330368610-splits-jpg

Last edited:
Specs:
14.5 HP Briggs electric start - free
3.5" x 16" (spaced 2" from wedge for a total of 18" log) - free
5.75" x 9" I beam - $100
16 GPM Speeco 2 stage pump - $107 (fleebay)
Valve - free
1/2 of lovejoy connector and spider - $20
5 Gallons of hydro juice - $34
hydro tank was a re-purposed air tank from a semi tractor - free.
Total - $261

It has a total cycle time of 10 sec.
The relief valve is currently set to 2400 PSI - it may be tweaked a bit more.

And so there it is. A splitter with about the same specs as an Iron and Oak 15 ton, horizontal only splitter. $261.

Whoops - forgot to tack on the cost for a couple of 1" pipe pieces - $15
New total - $276

I do plan on building a work table for it and I just MIGHT buy a couple of hoses to clean it up a bit. It will probably get rattle canned with what ever color I have in the shop and then I'm gonna beat the snot out of this thing. Its sole purpose is to split camp fire wood at my cabin (a row of 4 and we all like fires).:msp_thumbsup:

If anybody would like to see additional views or more pics - just say so. If I don't already have a pic I can snap pics anytime.

Last edited:
Your lack of 90's on the hose, busy as you stated, is a plus! Leave it that way as you eliminate a lot of heat there. Only thing I'd suggest is a filter if you don't have one as I didn't see one anywhere. Nothing like sourcing from what you have.
So far, no filter. I did weigh that option out. My big dog splitter has never had a filter and in several years of use, it has not caused a problem. I know...I'm probably stupid to not protect the pump for a $35 filter/housing, but it is what it is. If I would have had one, I would have used it.:laugh:

I like that, pretty cool, building a $1000 machine for less than a third, that alone is worth the build and it will last you years I bet. How long did it take to build.

That looks great jags! Really, you did a real nice job building that splitter. The only suggestion I can come up with (other than Kevin's about the filter, although you're not drawing off the bottom of the tank so should be fine) is to add a couple lateral supports from the beam down to the axle, although the battery is on one side now.

Nice job!!

...to add a couple lateral supports from the beam down to the axle, although the battery is on one side now.

Nice job!!
I had actually thought about putting a couple out by the wheels and then up to the beam, but aiming towards the draw bar. Then I realized that this thing ain't gonna leave the yard and what is there now will tear the hitch off of the back of a lawn mower before the axle would have problems.:hmm3grin2orange:

And thanks for the kind words, guys.

Last edited:
I'm always impress by guys who can fab stuff like this. My girl friend got me a nice Stickmate AC/DC welder for my birthday. Now I just gotta learn how to weld. (But that still won't make me a weld"er".) Nice job Jags !

Don <><

Back