16" Carolina Linesman Boots for Spurs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to be climbing just ropes to start (so i apologize for sneaking in the pro forum) but thinking into the future and getting a set of spurs next year i was looking into boots to compliment. I've got how you say... flat feet... I sport a 15W mostly cause it's easier to find than a size 16. Found what i think are a nice pair of "Carolina Domestic Linesman" 16" boots

http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=CA924

• Black Full Grain Leather Upper
  • Leather Lined Vamp
  • Poron® Performance Cushioning Insole
  • Electrical Hazard Rated
  • Heavy Duty Steel “Right and Left” Linesman Shank
  • Welt Construction
  • Vibram® Austin One-Piece Rubber Outsole
  • MADE IN THE USA :rock:

"Shank" wise, would this be what i should be looking for for support on my tree humping quest?
I assumed the height of 16" would maybe somehow support the pads better than a 10-12" high boot.
Would a boot of my size fit uncomfortably in certain spur setups?

Other suggestions of boot styles, brands, features always appreciated.

I just started my search with Carolina cause i'm still rollin a pair of loggers that the railroad purchased new for me in 2004 (got 2 vouchers for free boots per year, damn i wish i would have cashed all 19 of them in prior to leaving :cry:woulda been set for life) so i've got faith in this brand. Just replaced the laces last night, even though they were still good. But the bottoms are becoming racing slicks after 10+ years.

Thanks, Moose

In my opinion, Carolina boots aren't made as well as they used to be. Not that many of them are. My first pair I wore for three years. The next ones lasted a little over a year and they were falling apart. As for the height, I wear traditional logger boots and have no problems. There was some acclimatization time involved but eventually it didn't bother at all. I have aluminum bashlin spikes with pole gaffs and Velcro pads. Though before I was using the same spikes with traditional leather pads. I strongly recommend the Velcro pads. They are warm but very comfy when new

I wouldnt know how Carolinas are these days, mine are 11 years old and still goin. Thanks for the info, i will def look into some serious pads if i ever do get spurs.

~Moose

Thanks guys! I shall look into dem options! Most importantly a shanked sole right??

~Moose

I will secondly vote as I have before the purchase of a high quality handmade pair of boots. Weather that may be whites, wescos, nicks, or Adams. All are good depending upon your foot and what you like I personally have whites and wescos I climb in my wescos and do some ground work in the and my whites are go to ground work boots. I just got my whites back from a rebuild which is where these high quality boots really benefit. The option to rebuild them and bring them back to new.

I'm over 290 lbs with my saddlefully loaded on . Ive spent almost 3 hours in the tree standing in my Klien spurs My Whitesand had absolutely ZERO foot discomfort . And they are just the vibram sole Logger/SmokeJumper model. Not the Lineman.
My Viberg 105 T with the Urethane sole " screw cork" are as comfortable. My Viberg 148 with the lineman heel are not as comfortable.

I want to try a pair of Viberg 75s as I think they would not only be as tough as my 105s but as comfortable as them and the Whites. . Thats the down side to any boot other than the Viberg 105 T which is the single , longest ladting , strongest and most comfortable leather boot on planet earth. . Hence , the most cost effective.

Holy hell! $600+ for a pair of Viberg? That sound right? I just googled them and hit the first site that popped up... Im sure they could be cheaper elsewhere but damn they must be pretty damn good boots for that price. I'll look around a bit more, i'd still have to deal with the problem of finding size 15w

Yup, Thats the price . Unfortunately I dont think they are available in your size. My 105T were around 340$ in 2003 . I have 36 months wearing them all day falling timber , pre commercial tree thinning, climbing and logging. And they still have at least a full season left in them . At this point they cost me less than 10$ per momth of wear . And they are still water proof . If I lost 60 lbs they might still fit.

However , tho I like to advertise Vibergs. If they dont make your size its kind of a moot point how good they are .

I wore caulked Vibergs for 30 yrs when I was an industrial forester. They use water buffalo hide and last forever. They can make custom boots to fit your feet.

Low production, high quality unfortunately leads to high price.

I bet they are of awesome quality, i just dont see dropping $600 just yet even if they made my size. Although if they did, im usually paying around 300 when i used to buy my size custom. Couldnt imagine how much they'd charge to custom make those Vibergs!! Would loove to have a set though! Someday.

~Moose

Speaking of spurs, those titaniums really worth anything more than aluminum?

A big thing about spurs if the rest of your bod is comenserately sized with your feet. . How much weight will u have standing in your spurs ?
Since all your weight and force is on 1 gaff at a time . You want tobe sure they are made for that weight. . If your a big guy , Forget about Geko's . I wear Klien and Bashlin. . they can take the up to 400 pound weight that Ive put on them repeatedly.

I wear carolinas and so do two of my employees that climb. Several other local tree guys that we work with some use them as well. I have no complaints and would buy them again tomorrow if I needed a pair of climbing boots.

Latest posts

Back