162SE scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following this thread, love the older Huskys.
I know how it is to have a saw that is sentimental.
As you will see in my signature, the lonely Stihl.

Good for you for keeping the ole girl running!

:rock::rock::rock:

The 162SE is closed port and the 61 is open port (makes less power) - I don't know about the pistons though.

The most sensible (simplest) replacement top end would be a 266 one. The larger carb of of the later 266SEs and the 266xp would be an asset, but isn't really needed.

A 268xp or 272xp one would make more power, but also mean more parts and work (carb, intake, top cover, in addition to the top end).
I've been doing some searching and have found a Meteor cylinder and piston kit (#1723) for a 268 (the description read "fits Husqvarna 61, 268, XP chainsaws & K cut off saws") which is a 50mm bore X 34 mm stroke. Will this bolt right on to the 162, utilize my muffler/carb/intake, and fit under the top cover? Or does the entire top end need to be replaced?

I've been doing some searching and have found a Meteor cylinder and piston kit (#1723) for a 268 (the description read "fits Husqvarna 61, 268, XP chainsaws & K cut off saws") which is a 50mm bore X 34 mm stroke. Will this bolt right on to the 162, utilize my muffler/carb/intake, and fit under the top cover? Or does the entire top end need to be replaced?

Simple - it will not fit the intake, not fit under the top cover, and the carb will be too small + it likely will not have a compatible impulse system. There are ways around all that if you have the knowledge, skill and motivation though....

Nice work in doing it right

This has been a great thread to read and view photos. Thanks to all who shared their wisdom. I too like older saws like the 162SE. This thread will help me to keep my old saws running for many more years.

Arrow13

Simple - it will not fit the intake, not fit under the top cover, and the carb will be too small + it likely will not have a compatible impulse system. There are ways around all that if you have the knowledge, skill and motivation though....
:msp_confused: Even though the only difference is a 2mm larger bore? I know the 272 has a longer stroke in addition to a bigger bore, so a different carb/intake and taller cover make sense.

Searching various online places like eBay and parts suppliers, everything seems to indicate 66/162/262/266/268 are interchangeable. This is too confusing for me... ;)

:msp_confused: Even though the only difference is a 2mm larger bore? I know the 272 has a longer stroke in addition to a bigger bore, so a different carb/intake and taller cover make sense.

Searching various online places like eBay and parts suppliers, everything seems to indicate 66/162/262/266/268 are interchangeable. This is too confusing for me... ;)

Part of the problem is lots of misinformation and a few well intentioned but incorrect guesses here. :smile2:

The 272 has the same stroke as every other saw on this chassis, but does have the 52mm bore. All other saws are either 48mm or 50mm.

This family is for sure one of my favorites for projects. But it takes some familiarity with the many variations when doing mix and match builds. Weimedog has a funky looking 61 white top with a 272 top end, so anything can be done with some creativity. The early saws have some hardware surprises, but most of the questions involve the intake bits fitting the various top ends. Any top end pretty much has to have the original intake block and gaskets, (or intake boot as on the Jonny 625/670), so it's really not as complicated as it might seem. Carbs really need not be exact, but they must be related. I built a 670 on a 625 chassis and used the 625 carb, and its' a real strong runner. Those carbs of course only interchange with each other since they are the only two in this family that use the separate impulse line. Some carbs have the idle screw mounted on the carb, some saws have the idle screw mounted on the saw case. All little stuff that can be figured out. The high idle setting is done with a thumb lock on the tank with the Huskys, and with the choke lever on the Jonnys. So, if you needed to put an orange tank on a Jonny, you'd have two ways to set the high idle, but if you put a red tank on a Husky, you'd have none. :msp_razz: (Unless you altered the carb so it could be set with the choke lever)

The only cylinders that will bolt on to your 162 with no intake changes at all are the Jonny 630, which is really the same thing as the 162, and the 266 XP. Those saws all use the same intake block and gasket. 268 and 272 top ends require a different block and gasket. 61's are also different. I should point out here that the gasket between the intake block and cylinder is what's going to be different. The gasket between the block and carb is really the same across the range.

No, it doesn't - it is the same 34mm. :msp_wink:

Part of the problem is lots of misinformation and a few well intentioned but incorrect guesses here. :smile2:
Thanks for that thorough explanation (even if you did lose me halfway through :dizzy: ). Seems everywhere I look for parts for this saw, all the descriptions read 66/266/268/272... I must have seen a couple dozen intake blocks on eBay that all looked the same and were described the same. It's gotta be a conspiracy I tell ya... ;)

The point of this whole exercise was to find a suitable replacement cylinder/piston should the need ever arise. For now, it'll stay as is I guess. After the GTG I think I'm gonna check the squish and remove the base gasket to give her a little more oomph. Other than that, I'll keep her in her stock knickers.

And the reason I thought the 272 stroke was longer was because that's what's listed at Acre's site. I figured that to be good info but I see I was wrong (yet again).

Thanks for that thorough explanation (even if you did lose me halfway through :dizzy: ). Seems everywhere I look for parts for this saw, all the descriptions read 66/266/268/272... I must have seen a couple dozen intake blocks on eBay that all looked the same and were described the same. It's gotta be a conspiracy I tell ya... ;)

The point of this whole exercise was to find a suitable replacement cylinder/piston should the need ever arise. For now, it'll stay as is I guess. After the GTG I think I'm gonna check the squish and remove the base gasket to give her a little more oomph. Other than that, I'll keep her in her stock knickers.

And the reason I thought the 272 stroke was longer was because that's what's listed at Acre's site. I figured that to be good info but I see I was wrong (yet again).

Acres site is a good place to start looking for info, but there are lots of mistakes and misprints.

Last edited:

Ebay, etc., are the worst for incorrect fitment of parts. One seller lists an item fitting a whole bunch of models and pretty soon everyone copies that sellers "information", Then the Chinese use it as a guideline for making aftermarket parts....Pretty soon the whole information highway is a mess.:msp_scared:

Easiest swap on an old style 61 or 162 is a 266 top end....PERIOD!....268 or 272 can be done, but it's a hassle in my opinion.

Is there a difference between the 266SE and the 266XP? Or is the XP just an updated model?

Back