162SE scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both these orings are Husqvarna specific....not auto parts store type...must be had from a Husky dealer.
I took the oil pump to work today and let the guys in the machine shop look it over. They told me that the O-rings are 32mm ID x 1.5mm thick. Just so happens we had a pack of 10 in the tool crib so I think I've got my O-rings. ;)

A piston, a piston, my kingdom for a piston!

I have all the necessary parts except for the piston which is in transit to me. A local OPE shop had the Caber rings and seals in stock, and the O-rings I "borrowed" from work seem like they'll work just fine.

When installing the O-rings, can I use O-ring lube or should I just use some 2-stroke oil? In another thread, Mastermind suggested using some Loctite 518 gasket maker on the O-rings. While I have no reason to doubt him, I wonder if it's advisable on this saw?

Any other "tricks" I should be aware of?

A piston, a piston, my kingdom for a piston!

I have all the necessary parts except for the piston which is in transit to me. A local OPE shop had the Caber rings and seals in stock, and the O-rings I "borrowed" from work seem like they'll work just fine.

When installing the O-rings, can I use O-ring lube or should I just use some 2-stroke oil? In another thread, Mastermind suggested using some Loctite 518 gasket maker on the O-rings. While I have no reason to doubt him, I wonder if it's advisable on this saw?

Any other "tricks" I should be aware of?

You'll have to be a little patient, amigo.....US customs is gonna want to fondle your piston a little....6-10 business days for my shipments to the US, normally.

You "should" be ok with just lube on the o-ring, but I tend to agree with Randy....518 isn't gonna hurt.

You'll have to be a little patient, amigo...
Patience? What's that? :dunno:

It's a character flaw... ;)

You "should" be ok with just lube on the o-ring, but I tend to agree with Randy....518 isn't gonna hurt.
Decisions, decisions...

Did you happen to include a couple of circlips with that piston or do I need to replace the one that rattled around my garage last week? :msp_sad:

6-10 business days for my shipments to the US, normally
The package arrived today... only 4 days from the Canadian west coast to the US east coast! The package wasn't opened so I doubt US Customs or anyone else fondled anything! ;)

I believe the clips were in it with the wrist pin.
They were.

Thank you again for the piston and oil pump. I am forever grateful. :bowdown:

She lives!

With the piston Rob was so kind to send my way, I rebuilt my baby this afternoon. Installed new seals and O-rings, new Caber ring in the piston, and pout everything back together. Fueled her up and out back we went. Six pulls and she was purring. Let her warm up for several minutes and then tuned the carb. I left her very fat for now. I have nothing to cut in the yard so tomorrow I'll try to find something so I can test her in wood.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain and encourage. And special thanks to Rob for being so gracious.

She lives!

With the piston Rob was so kind to send my way, I rebuilt my baby this afternoon. Installed new seals and O-rings, new Caber ring in the piston, and pout everything back together. Fueled her up and out back we went. Six pulls and she was purring. Let her warm up for several minutes and then tuned the carb. I left her very fat for now. I have nothing to cut in the yard so tomorrow I'll try to find something so I can test her in wood.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain and encourage. And special thanks to Rob for being so gracious.

Wow!...That was pretty darn quick on the shipping!!

Glad it got your old girl going....I hate to see them left for dead, and I know there's sentimental value with this one for you!:msp_smile:

She lives!

Don't forget the video!

Here goes nothing... my first AS video.

[video=youtube_share;QsPxSnq_QRc]http://youtu.be/QsPxSnq_QRc[/video]

That's an 18" or so chunk of maple cut 3 weeks ago.

She's got a used piston with a new Caber ring, plus new seals and O-rings on both ends of the crank. I think she's still a little fat since she burbles a bit in the cut, but I'll keep her that way for now. I need to find enough wood to put a tank or 2 through her.

What do y'all think about my custom bar? I stripped it down to bare metal and clear-coated it and painted the new sprocket tip orange. I kinda like the look of this one. ;)

She doesnt happen to have same piston as 163/263 saws, doesnt she ?

(50 14 286, or 501 42 86, and something like-01, -02,-03 and -04 in the end of code to separate different pistons more accurately by the size )

edit;

aparently not.

i just have one of those pistons and thought it might fit.

Last edited:
She doesnt happen to have same piston as 163/263 saws, doesnt she ?

(50 14 286, or 501 42 86, and something like-01, -02,-03 and -04 in the end of code to separate different pistons more accurately by the size )

edit;

aparently not.

i just have one of those pistons and thought it might fit.

No, the 263 has a longer stroke and a smaller bore (36/47 vs. 34/48).

I ran her for another 10-15 minutes when I got home tonight. Leaned it up a tad but, to be honest, I'm really gun shy about going too lean.

With a used piston and new ring, how long should it take to "break in"?

Don't treat it any differently than a broke in saw. No free revving like a buffoon with no load, don't throw it, don't cut with a dull chain, stuff like that. A proper tune and common sense usage is perfectly fine.

Leaned it up a tad but, to be honest, I'm really gun shy about going too lean.
My weekly update... ;)

On the advice of Bob, I tuned her to 11,500 (he suggested 12-12.5) out of cut. Any more than that and she stops burbling. Seems a lot better now in the cut.

I also think I'm having a clutch problem. If I lean on the saw just slightly the chain stalls leading me to think the clutch is probably slipping. Would replacing the drum help or do I need to find a course-thread clutch too?

Latest posts

Back