162SE scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ST, is that specifically with reference to the p&c on the 630's?

For the Super II (1991 week 17), the cylinder changed from Mahle to KolbenSchmidt (+ other changes).

I don't know about the first change (to Super), but believe that was in 1986 or 1987. Others will know more about this?

Attempted to clean the cylinder... got my muriatic acid and proceeded to swab the area where the damage was. I was expecting it to fizz or something but it did nothing. After letting it sit for about 5 minutes, I rinsed with water. Does that mean there isn't any transfer, or did I not let it sit long enough?

I followed the acid bath with some ultra-fine scotchbrite and the upper part of the cylinder seems to have cleaned up a little. When I rub my fingertip over the area I can feel something but when I use a fingernail I get nothing.

scuff the area with some 400 or even 320,then try the acid again. might have some glaze? built up over the transfer. when you put the acid on scrub with some green scotch pads,then rinse,repeat.it helps to have someone there to BS with as it takes a little time.also something cold to drink,lol.

Sandpaper, right?

Can I steal the ones the old lady uses in the kitchen? I "borrowed" an ultra fine pad from work today.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

wet/dry stuff as you can sand with the acid or water in the cylinder.kitchen sponges will work,not sure with the sponge on ones(id pull that part off.)

kitchen sponges will work,not sure with the sponge on ones(id pull that part off.)
The wife uses these small (4x6 maybe) green scotchbrite pads for scouring. They aren't sponges, just regular what appears to be fine scotchbrite pads.

For the Super II (1991 week 17), the cylinder changed from Mahle to KolbenSchmidt (+ other changes).

I don't know about the first change (to Super), but believe that was in 1986 or 1987. Others will know more about this?

Looked at some IPLs, a 1987 IPL for the 630 Super show the piston as a two ring one, but the part number is different from the 162se one.

Anyway, I believe the Super II piston (single ring) will serve your purpose just fine! :msp_wink:

How's this for a 162SE?

mQtQw7P.jpg

a8Tm1Jw.jpg

rv6Xj2P.jpg

Spent some time today cleaning up the cylinder. Using some 400 wet/dry, ultrafine scotchbrite, and muriatic acid I got it almost perfect. There's just a hint of a score visible but it can't be felt with my fingertip of fingernail. I think it's good to go.

I even tried cleaning up the piston.
2013-08-17_17-34-15_785_zps6d565ded.jpg

Not sure if this is still usable... that gouge between the ring and top is a pretty good one, and it still has all that pitting on the top.

I also discovered that the AM oil pump I used doesn't fit right. For starters, the o-ring is visibly thinner than the OEM one, and the boss where it sits seems shorter. I'm not sure the o-ring gets fully seated in the case. I've decided I'll reuse the OEM pump.

I gotta be honest... if I had a new ring and circlip :)msp_sad:), I would have been tempted to put it all back together as is. But I'll wait for the proper parts and do it the right way.

Let's get this old girl back running!!!......

I should have a decent used piston and a good oil pump here.....You'll just need a new Caber ring.

PM me your address and I'll send it out on Monday.:cheers:
Awesome... PM sent.

And you're much too kind! :cheers:

Back