-18, poison ivy and 12" of snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
I decided to take today off to grab another couple loads of the oak that the local park dropped along the road.

When I left the house it was -2 at 0730 this morning. When I pulled into the park it had dropped to a balmy -18.

I thought if I waited till weather was nicer and snow cleared that oak would be gone. Every oak I cut today had poison ivy on it. I came home and used ivy wash and got a shower. Hopefully I was careful enough.

Oh the things we do for free easy access wood.

I cut up a nice hickory the other day that had a lot on it. I axed my felling cut area clean, and after it was on the ground stripped off most all the vine, then axed off the larger bark. Got it bucked, couple little itchies later on but nothing bad.

I take whatever time it takes to pull the vines off and clean the wood up as good as possible. Saving an hour to have a week of nasty poison ivy is not a deal to me.

I cut up a nice hickory the other day that had a lot on it. I axed my felling cut area clean, and after it was on the ground stripped off most all the vine, then axed off the larger bark. Got it bucked, couple little itchies later on but nothing bad.

I take whatever time it takes to pull the vines off and clean the wood up as good as possible. Saving an hour to have a week of nasty poison ivy is not a deal to me.

Your poison ivy must have hybridized with pansies down there. When PI has ambushed me recently, it wasn't gone for over two weeks, even while using some effective countermeasures. Too bad civilians can't get our hands on napalm.

Your poison ivy must have hybridized with pansies down there. When PI has ambushed me recently, it wasn't gone for over two weeks, even while using some effective countermeasures. Too bad civilians can't get our hands on napalm.

Well, I am not cutting the vines. I strip them off, plus it is winter, they aren't juicy as can be. Plus, lotsa clothes, and gloves. Mesh face shield to keep chips off. Took the axe to the bark, stripped it down good.

I did find out something with PI years ago. Tried every store bought and home remedy out there, nuts...

what ya do is..nothing. Nothing. You have an area of irritation. Leave it be. It starts itching worse and worse..don't touch it, nothing. Next time period is the worst, just bear it. wait some..... Then you get the chills..this is good, almost over the hump! A few minutes later..gone. Chills go away, no itch. You've beat the histamine reaction. Or something, that's the best I can describe it. I don't know the science behind it. Cold water wash normally with regular bar soap then. No scrubbing.

It's freaky but it works for me.

Well, I am not cutting the vines. I strip them off, plus it is winter, they aren't juicy as can be. Plus, lotsa clothes, and gloves. Mesh face shield to keep chips off. Took the axe to the bark, stripped it down good.

"Next time period is the worst, just bear it. wait some..... Then you get the chills..this is good, almost over the hump! A few minutes later..gone. Chills go away."

It's freaky but it works for me.
sounds like something that is from the 70's:ices_rofl:

I spray starter fluid on the affected area as soon as I start itching. Gone! Works every time! Even better if you scratched it enough to open the skin up a bit.
PI doesn't grow up here like it does for you guys, we just get the short little plants, no vining at all.

Ted

the no scratching method works great until you wake up from sleeping and have scratched yourself raw.

I can't imagine cutting wood and having to worry about poison ivy or giant thorns all over the trees.

one thing i do when i'm out cutting and see a tree that is future firewood and has PI growing on it is to make 2-3 cuts through the vine and when i cut it down later it pretty much falls off the tree. one preventitve measure if you come in contact with PI is to rub dry dirt on the contacted area. yeah i know.where ya gonna find dry dirt under a foot of snow.:laugh:

I kinda used that method but the grit I used was salt,,rub it till it bleeds put a little more on and let it dry out...this summer I got it so bad it was all over I had to get the steroid

I got poison ivy one winter really bad from cutting up a big ash that blew over in my yard. I had it all over my fore arms and on my neck, basically anywhere that was exposed. What ever type lives in CT I am really allergic to.

I found that using a poison ivy wash helps alot as does washing the clothes you had one. Got to clean the boots too......I kept getting it back one summer because it was all over the leather of my work boots.

Poison Ivy oil is on the exterior of the skin. It doesn't penetrate the epidermis. Breaking open the skin only makes it worse.
Ivy dry makes a compound that works by removing the oils from your skin. It takes some effort and a few repeats but it works. I have a tube in my shower all year. Basically rub the area for 10 minutes or so with this stuff. It has like a pumice in it to help work up the oil. Then rinse with cool water.

Think of it as diesel fuel. You think you could just wash it away and it feels as though you have but smell the affected area and it is still there. Certain things will break down those oils but not everything.
Same goes for the PI. Only certain chemicals will begin to break down the oils.

I hate the stuff, stay far away in the summer. I blast away at it in the winter though. Seems as if it prefers dead ash or dying ash. Almost every tree I cut this winter had it. I cut through vines as big as a my forearm.
Never get one single itch in the winter.

Straight Clorox Bleach and a Scotch-Brite pad on the rash... helps if ya' bite down on a stick during application.
Rinse-off with ice-water usually found in the beer cooler... since you're in there, reward yourself by opening one.
People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them to put bleach on it but it sure as hell dries it out fast.

Best way I've found to stop PI in its tracks is lacquer thinner and acetone, a quick rub with a saturated rag and gone.

I believe I got atouch from this last load. I have been using rainbow brand oak and ivy wash. It definiatley helps.

I'm sure it was a residual from my gloves or boots so I'm being very careful.

Lucky to the people that arnt affected or don't have to deal with it in their territory. Every tree I cut in that park so far has had it. I won't complain, I have pulled four cords out in the last two weeks. After running low this year I will NOT be short again.

I will however have to cut all through the summer to make up my loss. At least it won't be -18f (maybe poison ivy) and 12" of snow. I'm glad my Lord gave me the ability to weather the temps and snow this week.

PI sucks, i react badly to it.... after exposure, wash with dish soap. breaks downs oils... (dawn "takes grease out of your way".....)
washing clothes affected with warm or hot water removes more of remnants of it... splash of simple green works well also..
alcohol wipes dry out breakouts/ rash and shortens affliction time also

Back