-18, poison ivy and 12" of snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight Clorox Bleach and a Scotch-Brite pad on the rash... helps if ya' bite down on a stick during application.
Rinse-off with ice-water usually found in the beer cooler... since you're in there, reward yourself by opening one.

That's the same remedy we used after meeting unsavory women at bar time. Only apply to the effected area. I agree on biting on a stick.

Going to the doc and getting a shot in the arse is about all that helps me.

I tried the bleach trick.... once.

It didn't seem to help me much anyway, though I think I could have made kindling out of a stick in my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I never realized this was such an issue. Up north it is only a ground plant. I am glad I only have to worry about it in summer - mostly while mowing or weed whipping.

If you need to hack off thorns on every tree you cut, seems to me you have added another time consuming step to the processing of firewood. I would think the time spent on thorn removal would add up considerably after a while. If that is all you have for wood then I could understand it, but if you have a choice, I would think any wood without thorns would be a lot quicker and less trouble to process. And that isn't even factoring in the possible time lost from torn flesh -pierced boots -flat tires and anything else that some of you have mentioned about locust. I don't really need any extra steps added to my firewood process, I'm already slow enough!:D JMO

I never realized this was such an issue. Up north it is only a ground plant. I am glad I only have to worry about it in summer - mostly while mowing or weed whipping.

You just have not run into it's other forms yet. I have seen it climbing as a vine in several northern states. I have also gotten PI in the winter, apparently while burning wood at a campfire.

Philbert

You just have not run into it's other forms yet. I have seen it climbing as a vine in several northern states. I have also gotten PI in the winter, apparently while burning wood at a campfire.

Philbert
I guess I will consider myself lucky. We have poison ivy growing everywhere on our land. In 36 years I have only gotten it once while weed whipping it in the ditch. My arms got a mild case of it. Luckily I was wearing long pants. I think I have walked thru it with shorts on, but never got it. I haven't got wild parsnip either. I am usually pretty careful where I walk.

I did get a bad similar reaction to red raspberry thorns. I cleaned out a patch after I bought my first house with long sleeves on. The little bit on my wrists sure was painful and all the weeping. I ended up getting a shot. I am positive I was not near ivy. Weird.

I heard an interesting PI solution from a logger friend this year.
He tells me that he gets a bit of butter rubs it into his hands, face, neck and around the ankles and off he goes to war with PI all day.
Not real sure why this would stop PI but maybe the oil of the butter is acting as either a block of the PI oil to the skin, or if the butter oil alters PI oil or simply when you wash at the end of the day the butter and PI oil all disappear without actually getting on your skin.

Must be something to it because he has been doing it for 25 years and tells me he has never gotten PI rash and almost everyone else he has worked with that have tried conventional methods have a few times each.

Not sure if I'm willing to try this myself but it sure sounds interesting :)

Down in southern Maine there is plenty of PI but mostly just the short plant type. None up here in the western mountains that I have ever seen. I could lay down and take a nap anywhere in the woods and not have to worry about any poisonous plant-animal -reptile or insect bothering me. Of course being stepped on by a 1000 lb. moose is always a possibility.:D

I am 25 min from southern maine and we have every type of ivy. Little ground runners the huge bushes and the tree climbing vines. Hate it, but I don't think I've seen poison oak or sumac around here.

stihly dan,

We are lucky here in Southern Ontario to have all 3 PI players.
The regular PI and PO are the ground type that never get very big and form in patches, just big enough to get your ankles.
The one I watch for with care is the spindley PI vine that climbs, a PI version that looks like a strong wind could kill it pretty easy.
The oil from it is quite a bit nastier that PO.
We also have poison sumac and regular sumac that only real way to tell apart is at berry time, red berry makes wonderful vitamin tasty tea or the berries can be eaten raw , the white berry as tea or eaten raw would probably kill you.
A very similar rash as PI from handling white berry sumac any part.

Back