192T cracked tank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi all,
for anyone who may be interested, I purchased a 192t for cheap recently of ebay in australia, please dont ask how much as a wrecked 192t in aus goes for about as much as a brand new 200t in USA ;-)

my 192t arrived as many parts in a box, fully disasembled. Previous owner had taken it apart due to a leaking oil tank and was unable to get it back together. Thanks to an IPL and manual i got it back together and runs quite fine - starts easy and plenty of power for a 192. The oil tank still leaked though!

The problem was the inside of the tank, where the cap locks off. It has the tool-less caps but part of the inside of the tank that holds the cap had worn. Previous owner had attempted some sort of repair that failed. The tanks are integral to the casing on the 192, no way of replacing them without $$$ cost of new saw housing.

I bought an 019 housing for $1. It has removable tanks and came with both tanks and the screw style caps for them. I cut the threaded inlet portion of the fuel tank off. then i cut some of the protective parts of the 192t oil tank housing off. degreased, washed with water, degrease again, wash with water, sand slightly to scuff, the clean with prep-sol, then night sand again and glued together with 'plastic weld' epoxy which is rated as highly resistant to fuels and oils. wait 24 hours, then sanded and increased the fillet size with same epoxy. wait another day, fill with oil, screw cap on and start using.

This fix probable wont last forever, but what does? Prior to the fix the oil tank dumped its contents overnight. post fix it hasnt leaked a single drop in a week. The screw style cap protrudes out a bit and is vulnerable. In a drop it might not last, but i'm pretty careful with my saws and this one doesn't see much use.

if anyone is interested i can post pics.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back