1930's logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
came across this video, supposed to be one of the most complete pictures of 1930's logging, a bygone era for sure. I enjoyed watching it and thought I'd post it up. The camp conditions and log drive on the river were good to watch, and the later section in the mills was pretty good too. The mills are surprisingly efficient to me, even compared to modern manufacturing plants I've worked in. The look unsurprisingly dangerous too, with saw blades flying all over the place and nary a guard to be seen. Hope someone else enjoys it.

Shaun

[video=youtube;cIKCjQdxtO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKCjQdxtO0[/video]

Great Video. Timing was great, as I just got back from the chainsaw GTG in Maine a few days ago. We were not far at all from where that film was made.

Back in those days I bet most of the men had a pair that clanked when they walked. Can picture my late grandfather doing work like that, the man was tough as nails.

Outstanding! Very much like the home made films and photos from the Adirondacks where I grew up. I worked with a lot of the former "whip saw" men and river drivers in my teens. I didn't realize that I could have gained knowledge from them, they were just "old guys" that treated me like the smart aleck idiot I was (am?). Too late wise, as they say. Same for the old saw filers, hammerers, teamsters, etc. Many of those old guys would have loved to pass on their knowledge.

I still use horses in the woods on my farm. Nothing better for snaking logs around. I've done some time on 1 and 2 man crosscuts I've collected. Can't say it's anything I really enjoy, but it sure gets the heart pumping! I think things will be easier if I ever get filing them down to a science.

You know, back then and clear into the 60's a guy could support his family tailing at a mill or working in the woods. Now we put people on welfare. Kinda took a wrong turn someplace, didn't we?

Back