1999 272xp Husky, & Hello from another newbee.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old dog

Reaction score
First I would like to say hello to the site and members. I am greener than grass when it comes to chain saws.
The saw has what I think is the original 20" bar. The bar has several spots that are blued, I'm guessing from overheating. I do not know how to tell if the bar is done. I took it to a Husky dealer and was told to replace the bar. The bar I have has an extra hole, as compared to what he had. I'm guessing it's an oil port. I didn't have much faith in the kid waiting on me or the lawnmower shop calling themselves a chainsaw dealer.
From the Bar: RSN B 20/50 053/15
3/8 72DL 92760 TP
I was told by another source the bar should be HT 380-72. But when I searched this I find several different Husqvarna numbers,associated 531300588 shows the most.

Just a guess, but this thread might have been missed over the July 4th weekend. Also lot people start vacation then. In any case, welcome to AS!

Could you re-check bar information and see if reads:
RSN B 20"/50cm .058"/1.5mm
3/8" 72DL 92760

Also it would be helpful to see some closeup pictures of your bar and the 'blued' areas plus your chain.

thanks, Lee

First I would like to say hello to the site and members. I am greener than grass when it comes to chain saws.
The saw has what I think is the original 20" bar. The bar has several spots that are blued, I'm guessing from overheating. I do not know how to tell if the bar is done. I took it to a Husky dealer and was told to replace the bar. The bar I have has an extra hole, as compared to what he had. I'm guessing it's an oil port. I didn't have much faith in the kid waiting on me or the lawnmower shop calling themselves a chainsaw dealer.
From the Bar: RSN B 20/50 053/15
3/8 72DL 92760 TP
I was told by another source the bar should be HT 380-72. But when I searched this I find several different Husqvarna numbers,associated 531300588 shows the most.

According to the Bar Selecor on Bailey's website the HT380-72 is correct if you are running a 3/8 x .050 chain.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...0-72-608000046.axd?PartFinderType=BarSelector

Just a guess, but this thread might have been missed over the July 4th weekend. Also lot people start vacation then. In any case, welcome to AS!

Could you re-check bar information and see if reads:
RSN B 20"/50cm .058"/1.5mm
3/8" 72DL 92760

Also it would be helpful to see some closeup pictures of your bar and the 'blued' areas plus your chain.

thanks, Lee
Sorry to take so long. Major health issue. Mild Stroke. (Golden Years my Butt) What you posted is correct. I have ordered bar, Ht. 388-72 from Husqvarna. I see their pro chain is H48, full chisel. Who makes a yellow label, semi chisel and where would I order. 3/8 58 gauge 72 DL. Don't know how to attach photo. Lee... and others thank you for your replies.

Find a Stihl Dealer, and get a chain there, pr the appropriate semi chisel Oregon chain from most other saw shops. Oregon bars will fit most any saw they have the correct mounting slot for, and they are what husqvarna puts there name on. just make sure the chain guage is correct and its go the right number driver links for your bar. 72 for a 20" bar I believe if it is 3/8. That saw will pull a 24 quite well, so either 20 or 24 will work well according to your needs, do be careful as its a pretty large saw for someone who is as Green as you say you are. Don't get careless, treat it like a gun, and the bar should allways be in a safe place while the saw is running. Use the brake when you move around and brace yourself in a good working stance when making a cut. Chaps are great.

Wow, I'd say that's a major issue. Good to see you are able to get back on.

As for semi chisel fit up for your bar (3/8 58 gauge 72 DL), Carlton or Oregon have something.
A2EP is Carlton's semi chisel.
S-70 73DP is Oregon semi-chisel.

Both are serviceable. Neither have bumpers or guard links.
JMO Carlton seems heavier on chrome and has old style raker.

Couple of sponsors to try carry one or both of these:
Left Coast Supplies
Treestuff
Baileys

Take care

Wow, I'd say that's a major issue. Good to see you are able to get back on.

As for semi chisel fit up for your bar (3/8 58 gauge 72 DL), Carlton or Oregon have something.
A2EP is Carlton's semi chisel.
S-70 73DP is Oregon semi-chisel.

Both are serviceable. Neither have bumpers or guard links.
JMO Carlton seems heavier on chrome and has old style raker.

Couple of sponsors to try carry one or both of these:
Left Coast Supplies
Treestuff
Baileys

Take care
I did call a Stihl dealer (B Harrison reply), said they no longer make a 58 gauge pro chain. I will contact Baileys. Thank you for the help.
"Wow, I'd say that's a major issue. Good to see you are able to get back on." Thank you, I am lucky. They sent me for scans, tests, MRI's and "found nothing". Sad part was the wife said "that explains a lot!!" Waiting for the Doc to say I'm clear to drive, operate heavy machines, I stopped all on my own.
Rather than start another thread, I do have one more question. The saw came with a large set of claws. Smooth bumpers are on it now. Do you install with the claw high above the bar, or hanging low?.When mounted they are offset, so it's one or the other.

Not sure if this answers your question, but run this 272 with inside dawg only.

As for the "one more question", I don't believe that for a second :)

100_2690 (Small) (3).JPG

Back