1st brand new saw, 550xp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy4saws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been patiently reading and watching the post for the past year on the 550xp. It's seems for the most part everyone is very pleased with this saw for its weight, power and high torque. So I finally pulled the trigger and got one! Arrived last week and as of today have ran about 6 tanks through it. I've got videos and pics. I've mostly been cutting ash with an 18" .325 full chisel chain and running belray H1R with non ethanol gas, 40:1. The saw is wicked for its size and weight. Extremely well balanced, torquey and has power in all throttle positions. It's sounds completely different than my other husky when it comes out of the cut. It's neat to be able to hear the saw adjust itself depending on the load. I don't have any problems with hot starting so that must have been fixed. I'm not sure what break in period is but after about 20 tanks I'm planning on opening the muffler which is reported to give serious gains.

After reading walnuts post yesterday I'm Going to order a 44micron yellow filter as I've noticed a little saw dust in the intake when cleaning it last weekend. Over all this saw was an excellent first new addition for my collection, since everything I have is used expect for some of the family saws.

At times I feel like the saw slightly over revs when coming out of high load cut and then slicing a limb off or something. Does anyone else hear that at times? Next time in the wood I'm gonna tach it see what stock rpms are. I've got a vid and some pics. Hopefully I posted them right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410222045.023082.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410222096.807895.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410222136.791456.jpg

Did you get it in the big city of Hudson? I've just about used up one full chain on mine. I think you'll be pretty happy with the 550xp. I just opened up the muffler but haven't used it much since.

Hey Atlarge, no I didn't buy it off Terry up in Hudson. I haven't been up there since he which colors. Found a decent deal online so I pulled the trigger. Very pleased so far. What chain u running? I'm gonna do some reading on the muffler mods for the 550. I want it to look stock when I'm down with it.

Thanks zogger, ur right I should be wearing some. I have a nice blue husky set. Time to start wearing them.

Is it just me or do u guys notice that these saws run or sound high or at times lean? Is my 40:1 mix affecting this?

Broman,

My grandpa was a husqvarna dealer up until the late 80s when he closed shop. That stand was from the show room of his shop. It's nice, I try to keep my most used saws on it.

Broman,

My grandpa was a husqvarna dealer up until the late 80s when he closed shop. That stand was from the show room of his shop. It's nice, I try to keep my most used saws on it.

That stand is quite nice.

I think 40:1 is near perfect.

Hey Atlarge, no I didn't buy it off Terry up in Hudson. I haven't been up there since he which colors. Found a decent deal online so I pulled the trigger. Very pleased so far. What chain u running? I'm gonna do some reading on the muffler mods for the 550. I want it to look stock when I'm down with it.
Don't know for sure, just what came with the saw .325 .058 18" full chisel. I've run the saw full tilt since new barely any paint left on the bar. I've been cutting tops and such at the neighbors and once the saw starts it's go like h*ll until out of gas. Muffler is just opened up below the screen.

Back