1st chainsaw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyGreen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my 1st chainsaw to do some minor tree servicing jobs, I dont plan on getting into tree service heavily but I do occasionally run into taking down a tree here and there..

Not higher then 20ft that is..

As of now, I only have a Shindaiwa Pole saw and I plan on purchasing a chainsaw.. I've looked at stihl's and shindaiwa's, but I think stihl's is much btter lol..

What do you guys think?

:rolleyes: :confused:

Go w/ Stihl. I've ran both. In my opinion Shindaiwa are a large hot load of crapp.

If you want tendonitis of the elbow go w/ the shindaiwa. They won't stay running for anything.

From the sound of your needs I would purchase the MS880. Should fit your needs nicely. Not too much power, but will get most anything in the 20 ft range down. Excellent climbing saw as well. Real easy starting too, even my g/f has no problems w/ it. It's an excellent beginners saw!

Echo 3000/3400

Either of these will do the starter just fine. Much Cheaper than a stihl too.

Dont have any knowledge of the shindaiwa.

Originally posted by okietreedude1
Echo 3000/3400

Either of these will do the starter just fine. Much Cheaper than a stihl too.

Dont have any knowledge of the shindaiwa.

Darnit David,,
I just went and made the gent a darn good recommendation. Now you know that Echo can't match the prowess for inthe tree maneuverability of the MS880 Stihl.

Whoa, thanks for the recommendations..

How much is the MS880?

Thanks okie!!! I just placed a bid on that chainsaw, lol..

ms880!!!

come on now, we all know that the ms880 makes a great starter saw but we are talking about trees no higher than 20 feet here. i strongly suggest using husqvarna's 3120. it's got great power to weight ration and with the optional top handle modification, she makes a great climbing saw.

50"

Not nearly enough. I suggest welding two of them together. Be carefull though, you don't want'er too big. Remember, we're talking about a starter saw here.

nice

thats the idea my friend, thats the idea. speaking of that, i went to a halloween party on the 30th and my buddy took a 660 magnum with a 36" bar and ran through the house with it running. there was no chain on the saw so the stunt was funny, not stupid although many a party goer was complaining about bar and chain oil on their face and costum and the owner of the house was wondering what the wonderful smell was.

Bogus

Artifex, I'm calling this Bogus Story, If the chain were off the saw how could the guests be sprayed? With no chain on there is anything to throw the oil all over the guests. It just drips oil all over the rugs on the floor. That's why the guys at the Haunted House ran theirs without oil. Been there! Done that! Your story is BOGUS! You're standing in a puddle of doo with this story. I'd say try again but I'd like to see you gone from this site.

bogus??

on last years ms660, the oilier dabbled right next to the sprocket. although there may not have been a chain to carry the oil, the oil dripping next to the sprocket would have been thrown forward. i challenge you to test it if only you had the money to afford a 660. nice try but the only thing bogus in this you. ya, take that buddy.
no seriously, even without a chain, a little oil will be thrown. i can see how you would think this is bogus but it did happen. quite amusing to may i ad.

Anyone want to see a baby pic of ArtifexArboreus/Adam Lucas?

Latest posts

Back