2.8L operating Temp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I traded some tree work the other day for a 88 S-10 Tahoe,Short bed 5 speed.
When driving the Temp is running from 210-225 Degrees. The red on the gage doesn't start until about 255. What is the operating temp for these engines?

I traded some tree work the other day for a 88 S-10 Tahoe,Short bed 5 speed.
When driving the Temp is running from 210-225 Degrees. The red on the gage doesn't start until about 255. What is the operating temp for these engines?

Unless I'm mistaken, stock ones have a 195 degree thermostat.

If the cooling system is designed to operate at a higher pressure, it can have a much higher operating temperature before boiling occurs.

Is it overheating?

If its running OK and not boiling over its prolly OK.

Welcome to the world of old Chevy guages!

Do you have a temp gun? If so, drive it till the temp goes up and get out and shoot the Rad hose or even the block near the head and see what it says.

my old 92 S-10 ran about 210 all the time. Seemed high to me, but it ran like that for the whole time I owned it, about 4 years

It probably has a 190-195 thermostat in it, so running at 200-210 isn't out of line. Do what RBW said and get a heat gun and see what the engine's temp. really is. If it were mine, i'd prolly put a new thermostat and a temp. sensor in it.

Seems a little warm for the red on the gage to start at 255 degrees.

06 silverado 4.3 engine has a similar gauge. The gauge goes to 260 deg, red is from 255 to 260. The truck runs about 210 deg. On older vehicles I have replaced the radiator cap with one that has a lower rating by 3 or 4 lbs. In hopes of lengthening the radiators life.

Last edited:
I changed the thermostat and now it runs around 200-205. Tested the old one and it wouldn't open.

I had a 85' 2.8 years ago and worked the living he!! out of it...... It always ran hott till one day the rad popped and I noticed it was just a single core replaced it with a double core and NO MORE HEATING ISSUES. Then I sold it LOL.

Scott

Had an '82 Camaro with one of those POS 2.8L's in it. Always ran hot. 195 degree t-stat in it too. Even after I changed out the t-stat for a new one it still ran hot. Glad I sold it.

Gary

Check the clutch fan if it has one it may be slipping or not be locking up .If thats not the problem then it may have cloging of the cross flow tubes inside the radiator rust at the overflow is useually a good indicator & you wont see much movment with the rad cap off. Drive by your local radiator repair shop & ask if they would take a quick temp reading with there infared thermometer at the lower hose to see exactly what the temp is being returned back to the engine. They should do it for free as it only takes less than a min. Plastic tank raditiors can not be roded out like in the old days

Latest posts

Back