2 Chainsaws, 1 Blower - Would not fire with Gas or Starting Fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I did kinda enjoy it. Did you ever make a potato gun? They are great fun, especially if you live on a lake.

Not a potato gun but one of my little brothers made a tennis ball launcher, dang thing go about three blocks...whoooomp!

Couple questions for the OP.

1) when was the last time all 3 tools worked?

2) you've thoroughly cleaned and inspected the muffler & exhaust ports?

Chances of all three jumping time, sheering a key etc are almost 0. Much more likely something is blocked up. And you say the fuel is good, but at this point I'd be mixing some fresh.

I sincerely hope you get this resolved and post results. Anxious to hear the cause.

I gotta think something nesting in the mufflers is more likely than three broken key ways. Of course if all three tools are "new to you", we would be looking at this from a different angle.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I'd bet money on em just being flooded. Spray some more fuel in there....... :jester:

At this point I'll focus just on the Echo blower.

Rechecked the compression. It shows 125.

Installed new plug.

Dumped the gas, and this now is from a fresh batch.

I've removed the ground wire from the stop switch to the cdi, to insure that there is nothing in that circuit but the spark wire. The cdi seems to naturally ground to the frame through its mounting bolts for normal operation.

I just pulled the exhaust and it's clean as a whistle. Piston is clean too.

It is surely getting tons of gas. At full throttle, with the plug out, pulling the rope vigorously, the fuel vapor is highly visible coming out of the spark plug hole. Most starting efforts are at maybe 1/4 throttle.

I'd guess that maybe the ignition could be weak and that fuel is drowning the plug.

I know Briggs has that ignition tester that will prove that you have 13,000 volts in open air. Just ordered one. Earlier poster mentioned that sparking in open air might be deceiving, that a spark can be depressed when exposed to compression. Other than the Briggs tester or all the neon light testers, is there another way to prove sufficient output from the cdi?

Might try another new plug. It's a RC7y. Anyone know if a C7y would be worth trying also?

Tips appreciated. I will get her going, just don't know exactly when!:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back