2 Cycle Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you used tranny fluid/10w30/used motor oil for years and had no issues. So why would you bother buying normal oil? Just get some more coffee filters and go cut wood.

If you ran all that crap and had no trouble, you certainly don't need stihl oil. Buy the cheapest crap you can find at wal-mart, you'll think you died and went to heaven. :dizzy:

To give you a direction where to look at. It should include the following specifications.

1. for air cooled engines
2. full synthetic , the price difference to semi synthetic(is still great if you can't find any full synthetic) or mineral oil is in my eyes minimal compared to the supiriority of full synthetic
3. full fill the following norms API TC, JASO FC/FD, TISI, ISO L-EGD (these are not fullfilled by Stihl HP ultra :D)

I buy generic 2 stroke oil of the above qualification from a major motorcycle equipment chain store here in Europe. They have it on sale like once or twice a year for ~30€ /4 litre jug. The mix I don't use up in a few months goes into the lawnmower/tractor or motorcycle. And they love it!

Hope this gives you an idea at what to look out for.

The best smoke additive has been for me diesel. Accidently my FIL had mixed some diesel & gas in a gas can. Well I made a batch of mix out of it. I couldn't even see the tip of the bar! Man was that wild!

Good luck!

Hehe i'm just having a dilemma which oil to buy. I've decided on the motul 800 i can get locally, but it costs $24 per quart (same with stihl ultra). Stihls mineral costs bout $13, and you can get 2 stroke semi synthetic with all the standards (iso, api, jaso) for $6 a quart, four times less expensive than the really good stuff. Then there are options like the mcculoch "made in husqvarna" oil thats less than $10 per quart, some cheap syntetics etc.

And im pretty confident nothing will go bust on either of those oils, and i like to mix 3% with the cheaper stuff. The downside can be carbon buildup, and i'm not quite sure i want to drop $24 per quart just for that.

I buy Amsoil Sabre for $8.99 per quart and run it in all my vintage stuff at 32-1 w/ 93 oct. without ethanol. No problems in 5 years of use......clean cylinders, no smoke
Igpoe:cheers:

I know how thick-headed you guys are, so I figured I'd try to maybe "shed some light" on real numbers. I used the search function for half an hour and came up empty, scrolled thru the first 5 pages of the chainsaw forum to spot a thread about oil...nothing. So I start a new thread...maybe you'd like to show me a link? Should I apologize for a new thread of what? Your sarcasm is making me want to put my fist through this screen.

Never put your fist through your screen. I am typing on a 900 dollar laptop right now, and am waiting for a screen to come to fix a 450 dollar laptop. Money that could have been applied to my cad problem.

ATF makes an unbelievable amount of smoke

I used to mix ATF with gas 50/50 when I ran out of diesel for the old Scout plow truck (1980 Nissan 6cyl...couldn't kill it...couldn't start it either, but thats another story). Gets expensive, but got me out of the driveway to go get a can of the real stuff. Scout is gone now, gave its life so rust could live.

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with chainsaw oil, but hey, I'm bored :laugh:

blending

Hello , My uncle worked for the Standard Oil Company in the blending house . They would blend oil to a specification standard . The same oil would be bottled for almost all the major brand names . All the same oil just different containers .
Now there are different manufacturing specifcation but the vast majority of oils are blended by a major refiners to a industry standard .

I have started using Amsoil Pro at 50:1. I do miss those little easy-to mix bottles, not that it's that hard to measure.

BTW, do NOT use outboard oil, it is not designed for high-temp air cooled engines. Outboards water jackets generally run at 143* F.

I used to mix ATF with gas 50/50 when I ran out of diesel for the old Scout plow truck (1980 Nissan 6cyl...couldn't kill it...couldn't start it either, but thats another story). Gets expensive, but got me out of the driveway to go get a can of the real stuff. Scout is gone now, gave its life so rust could live.

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with chainsaw oil, but hey, I'm bored :laugh:

SD33!!!! Here is my Jeep with one before I swapped in the Cummins. YES it was HARD to start and smokey startup!
1978 Jeep CJ-7 YJ/TJ - Jp Magazine

Last edited:
I know there are some very good oils out there. I use Stihl ultra and amsoil saber, Anyway I am too cheap to take a chance on a low quality oil ruining my expensive saws. Buy what you wish but most times you get what you pay for.

I know there are some very good oils out there. I use Stihl ultra and amsoil saber, Anyway I am too cheap to take a chance on a low quality oil ruining my expensive saws. Buy what you wish but most times you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't call that being too cheap, I would call that being smart!

Yeah she has her moments. Did I mention she splits and stacks?

Mine too! I hate to admit it, but she is a better worker then me.:msp_sad: Motivates my lazy arse most of the time. Not afraid to get her hands dirty. She will use an electric saw, but not the gas. But all the other outdoor stuff....she will have at it! Gotta love a farm girl!

Oh yeah..most important....she likes BEER!:givebeer: Waaaaaahoooooo!:msp_wub:

Last edited:
Back