2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish93stang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
:chainsawguy:ANSI rule... how many of you actually follow this with a light top handle chainsaw never mind a bigger saw chunkin wood. I know for a fact that I do not.. especially when stackin brush out of the bucket.

On the other hand, I have good reasons to use two (most of the time).

attachment.php

Last edited:
No, sadly, I don't get hurt on the job. I do that in my spare time. If I had done it on the job, I would have at least gotten some disability from the injury. As it is, it really doesn't bother me. I tell pretty much everyone that inquires that you really don't need that thumb as much as you think you do.

And yes, I do run the 200T (and other top-handles) with just one hand. Horizontal cuts to the right are pretty much out of the question, though. As you might expect, I use two hands about 3/4ths of the time. Simple trim cuts, I zip off with one hand. Occasionally, reaching out or around, I cut horizontally to the left, too. As you might expect, the right hand does not have as good control as a "fully handed" user might expect, so I compensate by being extra careful against kickback and slipping. Oddly, I can't run a 200t one-handed with my left hand. It's useless for that.

I got caught in a wood planer; careless, caught the tip of my thumb. It wanted more, and sucked in my hand until it plugged it up. I was making planks at the in-laws to build a really neat sandbox for my kids.

In fact, the sandbox turned out real well: an octagon around our pin oak, there were flip-out cover sections that made it look like an eight point star when it was opened up to play in. When opened up, the covers were a neat wood ramp into the play zone.

Last edited:
I cut how I want to cut, not how somebody is telling me to cut. My life is on the line up there, I know it, and work accordingly. So yeah, I one hand when I want to.

ya i agree nails... we got a new safety guy and hes comin down on us hard...but he has never run a saw in his life

The problem in my eyes that todays top handle saws are so well made and so balanced that sometimes it may even be safer to cut with one hand, while using the other to stablise yourself. So I guess my answer is yes I will cut with one hand when I have too.

Virtually all the time, two hands on any saw. However, I will admit I have run top handled saws with one hand occasionally, but only occasionally and then am always very aware of the additional risks involved..

rarely do i use two hands.

at least i know one ANSI rule now.they don't pay my bills so they can pound sand.

Pdqdl, Ouch!

Most the time I try to use both hands but sometimes use one hand if I think the other would be better for useing as balance by holding on to another branch. So it just depends but mostly I try to disipline myself to use both hands. Once a nieghbor walked over and asked if I could cut down a limb out of his Silver Maple. I had been drinking and had a pretty good buzz but not overly drunk at the moment so I said sure and went over to house, climbed up and cut the branch off. To further my use of poor judgement I used one hand on the saw and somehow placed my other hand in the cutting path. Somehow I ended up tearing off my middle fingernail and leaving a little gash on my middle finger. Luckily I was buzzed enough not to feel it too bad, and when I got back down we drank some more so it didn't ruin my night other then feeling pretty stupid. Since then I have made it a personaly policy not to drink and climb. Never did figure out how I put my finger in the saw path:confused:

Its such a broad sweeping statement. Is it possible to make every cut with both hands on a climbing saw while in the tree? I suppose so but its not realistic. Just think before you cut " where is the saw going to end up?"
personally, I think hand saws are more dangerous but it seems there isn't much evidence to support that.

Pdqdl, Ouch!

Most the time I try to use both hands but sometimes use one hand if I think the other would be better for useing as balance by holding on to another branch. So it just depends but mostly I try to disipline myself to use both hands. Once a nieghbor walked over and asked if I could cut down a limb out of his Silver Maple. I had been drinking and had a pretty good buzz but not overly drunk at the moment so I said sure and went over to house, climbed up and cut the branch off. To further my use of poor judgement I used one hand on the saw and somehow placed my other hand in the cutting path. Somehow I ended up tearing off my middle fingernail and leaving a little gash on my middle finger. Luckily I was buzzed enough not to feel it too bad, and when I got back down we drank some more so it didn't ruin my night other then feeling pretty stupid. Since then I have made it a personaly policy not to drink and climb. Never did figure out how I put my finger in the saw path:confused:

Never drink and climb? Is this an ANSI standard too?

Its such a broad sweeping statement. Is it possible to make every cut with both hands on a climbing saw while in the tree? I suppose so but its not realistic. Just think before you cut " where is the saw going to end up?"
personally, I think hand saws are more dangerous but it seems there isn't much evidence to support that.

alot of people take the handsaw for granted idk what you guys use but my zubat cuts everything including rope in one swipe if tight i seen a youtube video on it silky vs rope i think it was called, that dam thing catch in in the hand or leg too bleed like crazy not a very clean cut either.

although i think chain saws are a bit more on the dangorous side

I agree with you...

That's the most important thing to consider when deciding to cut one handed...where will the saw go...and I might add where will the bit of wood go?

I know my hand saw has been more dangerous to me...fingers, forearms, shins, all of them carry that distinctive zig zag pattern of Silky holes!! But at least the damage is only temporary, not a full strength follow through...now that could rival a chainsaw cut for sure in some instances!

How about switch handing a saw? I had to do it quite a bit the other day...

Latest posts

Back