2 questions,Maple prune and cherry.(tree hugger)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William climb safely

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello
This website is to cool.
First thank you so for your pro response.
I bought and planted an autumn blaze last year.(Love its fall colors)
Well I didn't do my do diligence before purchase.It seems now I see included bark all over and I have 2 leaders and the bigger 1 seems to the right.(ouch)Its about 16 ft bout 3 inches chest height.
Amputate total competitor ?,What else should I prune.
Cherry tree seems to have a lot of water sprouts.(Son just bought a house)
Is it under stress and would you remove some?
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
  • cherry 2.jpg
    cherry 2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 23
  • maple2.jpg
    maple2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • maple prune 20190310_164546741.jpg
    maple prune 20190310_164546741.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
I'd take off the entire co-dominate leader - take off the right limb - even though it is bigger. It is still attached like a branch, not a main trunk. I'd also reduce the other one on the left that is trying to be a leader. Cut that back 2-3' to some lateral branches. Those trees grow so fast if you don't do it all now, it will be a bigger wound later.

In Pic 3 at the very top of the picture there is a vertical stem that I'd also remove. Do it gently, leaving the more horizontal limb in place.

That is probably all the pruning for this year. Next year or two, the lowest limbs come off.

Cherry (or is that a crabapple? - hard to tell with lighting): Sure, clean out the suckers. It will look better, but as long as they aren't turning into big limbs (that will have weak attachment points), not a big deal.

ATH
Ur good it is a crabapple my bad
If you're ever in Illinois I owe you lunch. Thank you so for reply you're the best have a great day

Latest posts

Back