2 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50/80

The two used most for firewood are the Dolmar 5100s and the Makita 7901. Just picked up a mill for the Stihl 066 Red Light so it might see some use now!

I could put 15 to 30 cords a day on the landing, and the only saw i needed to do it with was a 034 Super.

My 036 is a hell of a good saw. It is every bit as strong as my MM'd 039 but lighter and slimmer. Plus, it is built like a tank. Once the 6421 is convert to a 79cc saw then I think I will have a good two saw plan.

Justin

The two used most for firewood are the Dolmar 5100s and the Makita 7901. Just picked up a mill for the Stihl 066 Red Light so it might see some use now!

Forget the Dolmar 50cc saws, they simply don't handle like a 50cc saw should!

It kinda depends on the size of wood. For small stuff and limbing I go with a 200T and either my 026 or 346. For firewood I use a 372 and either a 044 or 460. And for big 50+ inch maple or oak then my two saw plan is a Mac 125 and a stihl 090 or 090G.

It kinda depends on the size of wood. For small stuff and limbing I go with a 200T and either my 026 or 346. For firewood I use a 372 and either a 044 or 460. And for big 50+ inch maple or oak then my two saw plan is a Mac 125 and a stihl 090 or 090G.

A 200T is not an acceptable limbing saw, as it is a top handle saw - a rear handle MS200 is though!

A 200t is a very acceptable limbing and pruning saw when pruning an apple orchard. Or when walking beside a downed alder that's a couple of feet of the ground, to get the small stuff off. You just have to be aware of where the tip is at all times. My first chainsaw was a cheap Sears Poulan micro 2000 and that's what I grew up using from the time I was 14 till in my 20's. I never knew a thing about kickback. I just used my head, although these days that's getting harder to do, admittedly.

aaaak! 2 won't cut it when you have to cut one inch to three foot and over diameter. It is really better to have three, in around 20 cc jumps....

Dang, only two....

with what I own, I have four choices then that I could live with, any of them could work. I have more, but you insist just two..grumble

old skule

poulan s25cva and 245A (< kik butt combo right there...I mean dang, they perform..but..antiques now, parts, etc, some NLA)

new school

husky 346xp and 394xp (most practical as regards performance and parts availability, etc, and ability to handle any size wood, so this would be #1 choice)

or 435strato and 365sp (basic "budget" firewood combo)

or

echo cs600p and cs8000 (could sell the rest for the most money, and do well with those two for most any cutting I need to do)

A 5100 does not handle as well as a 550 or 346...but it is not that far behind. It has way more low end and a much broader power band. It also has as much peak power and only slightly behind in handling. I own both and prefer the 5100.

I would say for me the 346XP and my converted 365XT. This would cover most days for me. 18-20" on the 346 and my 24" and 28" for the 365.

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Stihl 026/036/046 if you can buy three. Or drop the 036 and call it a day. I loved my 036 until I started bucking logs with the 046....

A 5100 does not handle as well as a 550 or 346...but it is not that far behind. It has way more low end and a much broader power band. It also has as much peak power and only slightly behind in handling. I own both and prefer the 5100.

Not much truth in that statement, the handling differense is major, as is the throttle responce - and then there isn't much other difference.....

I own both and do not notice a huge difference in handling. Why can't I like the 550 as well as the 5100? Of course after felling with a 440 they both feel light!

I like my MS362 and MS200 rear habdle for the weekend warrior setup. I find myself with the little saw until about 12" diameter. It's just so light! Bigger than a 362 just wouldn't matter because I'm never more than a couple gas tanks a week, so no big time savings available with a 441 etc. ESP since most of the wood that sees the 362 is 12"-20".

Latest posts

Back