2 Stroke V8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
How did the 6-71 go with a turbo? Must give it a healthy extra push. They're the oldest ones started in 1938 they even powered the D-Day landing craft. 8v71 is normally rated at 318 horsepower - it's actually 568cu (8 cylinders at 71cu each). I've found an old scrapped wheel dozer nearby with a 6-71 I've got my eye on but I think the owner wants too much for it :( Damnit all I need is a DD

6V71T was a good straight truck or delivery route motor, compared well to the 3208T Cat 4 stroke V8s power wise that they competed with back then.

I had a lot of fun waking people up with an old GMC General with an 8V92TTA (445HP if my memory is any good) with a fertilizer box on the back, dual stacks with no mufflers and a Jake just in case takeoff wasn't loud enough. I still pull up a youtube video once in a while to hear the sound of a "Jimmy eight" going through the gears.

For those that never drove em, but know modern diesels, forget progressive shifting. The old Detroit 2 strokes make good top end, but fall flat when lugged. Redline, shift, redline, repeat. Start dropping gears when the tach hits about 1800. These motors, more so than the Cat/Cummins 4 stroke I6 motors were the reasons for 13-15-18 speed transmissions. You could get by with an 855 Cummins or 3406 Cat with only 9 gears, but it makes a long day in a 2 stroke DD when you have to wait for it to drop 500 rpms before you can downshift.

The best advice for driving a truck with a DD 2 stroke is simple: Slam your hand in the door and drive it like you're pitzed off.

rodeobob

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
Pretty sure the 3-53 was never offered. However the 6v53 was offered in two variants late on in the series in with the D5N 700. 600 may have been but I'm pretty sure it was just the 700. For that class of truck they were certainly not underpowered in the day!

If i remember right it was like an ambulance body or a pickup, so a 200/300 or a 400.
Was in Tailem bend or near there in SA.
Someone must have fitted it somewhere along the way then.

Dont ask me when. Was years back.

Im sure I could find an obscene use for a 4-92, if i could ever find one.

This could be a good option
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?27058-4-92-build

shootingarts

shootingarts

ArboristSite Operative
south of the border, the Mississippi border!
The best advice for driving a truck with a DD 2 stroke is simple: Slam your hand in the door and drive it like you're pitzed off.

When I bought my cabover ten wheeler with the detroit was my first experience with the thirteen speed road ranger. Everybody had told me how fragile the thirteen speed was so the first couple days I had it I babied it around town bobtailing to get a few things taken care of, couldn't shift it! Growling gears pretty bad and causing me pain. A used truck but still a lot of dollars in it.

Then I hung a forty foot float behind it and left the yard in Baton Rouge headed for Oklahoma. I had decided enough BS'ing with the 13 speed and I put the hammer down when I left the yard and came up through the gears hard, skipping a handful of them with it empty. Sung a pretty song and shifted like it was supposed to. I had ran a circle track car with a scratchbox and no clutch and I drove the truck the same way. Never had another issue with shifting. Never loaded it heavy enough to need 13 gears either although I topped 80,000 gross sometimes. Like you said, good engine and transmission, unless you tried to baby them!

Hu

rodeobob

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
60 series, never a fan.
Much prefer a red head Cummins.

Drove an old banger with a 444 in it for a while. I liked it. Must have been the nice high diffs and the 13 over. it moved along well.

I have one of the Mack E9 V8's,it was easyer on fuel than the 475 Cummins that i had.It getts better milage than the 3406Cat i have too.If the cab wasn't shook to $hit i wouls still have it on the road.I'm hoping to find an old Mack fro early 60's and use the cab from that and make an old sleeper truck.Every driver i had in the Mack would always say it was the strongest truck they ever drove.Just don't expect the Mack engine brake to slow you down much,it always helped to hold your hat out the window when you were using that brake:ices_rofl:
Thomas

Which motor @ 475?
I was in an old W model for a bit with a tweaked out 3406B in it. Never paid much attention to what it got, but geez it went fast, 13 od on 3.7's.
Definately not as good as the E7 400hp mack I was driving but probably better than the other mack with the 454.

Another guy I worked for had a mack with a 454 and a red head 425. Cummins that was a good 100L better per 1000km.

How can you have your hat out the window, its meant to be hanging on the other stick isnt it??

I had a lot of fun waking people up with an old GMC General with an 8V92TTA (445HP if my memory is any good) with a fertilizer box on the back, dual stacks with no mufflers and a Jake just in case takeoff wasn't loud enough. I still pull up a youtube video once in a while to hear the sound of a "Jimmy eight" going through the gears.

For those that never drove em, but know modern diesels, forget progressive shifting. The old Detroit 2 strokes make good top end, but fall flat when lugged. Redline, shift, redline, repeat. Start dropping gears when the tach hits about 1800. These motors, more so than the Cat/Cummins 4 stroke I6 motors were the reasons for 13-15-18 speed transmissions. You could get by with an 855 Cummins or 3406 Cat with only 9 gears, but it makes a long day in a 2 stroke DD when you have to wait for it to drop 500 rpms before you can downshift.

Thats why you see all the old guys revving the ring off these new fangdangled trucks.

I worked for an old Greek bloke for a while, he had some missed matched old Cab over Kenworth that had a N/A silver 8V92 in it. Had new straight through exhausts put on it, sung a sweet tune thats for sure. Came back to bite me a few years later, House I moved into was near an intersection. Every time that damn truck pulled up out the front to wait at the lights it would set the big glass windows out the front drumming. Like a hyped up opera singer and a wine glass.

I learnt to drive in the fleet at a Concrete yard. Auto V8 cat in a Loui. V8 big block baby 13 speed Loui. And an old R model 237 with a 5 speed and arm strong steering. And another old fella in town had an S2 KW with a 400 big cam and 13 over semi tipper that used to fill their bins.
A varied learning curve.

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Harry
It was a town delivery truck,was great for the town jobs,a little underpowered when you got out of town and found some hills,the truck that replaced it is a 98 KW with a M10 and air ride.The old truck was all i needed,but a regulation change by Transport Canada forced me to go and spend 70K on a different truck.The KW is way more truck than is required for the job.No comparison between the two for power and ride,the KW starts a lot better with the computer controlled injection.
Bob
The Cumming was a 475.It was basically a 400 with a twin turbo and some injection Voodo.It had a mechanicl injection that would be a bear to set up.One of the bads of the setup.It would smoke like an OWB when cold.Aperantly you could mod the hell out of them,a couple of brothers from Pensilania took one to a diesel power show in Europe and handed them their a$$,second hand story may or may not be true.
Thomas

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
If i remember right it was like an ambulance body or a pickup, so a 200/300 or a 400.
Was in Tailem bend or near there in SA.
Someone must have fitted it somewhere along the way then.

Dont ask me when. Was years back.

Im sure I could find an obscene use for a 4-92, if i could ever find one.

This could be a good option
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?27058-4-92-build
Well I could be wrong, but I'm pretty interested on D5Ns and equivalent Inters (have a C1800) and AFAIK the only diesel offered in the smaller stuff was a perkins 6354, even in the bigger stuff until the cummins 160 followed by 180 then in the last few years the 6v53. Inter's never got the 6v53 apart from some very rare one off specials, most were conversions.

That 4-92 will be pretty mean, wonder why he chose that block and not a 6v53 or 6v71... I'm sure I could find a use for any DD!

firebrick43

firebrick43

Life is all about big saws
You DD fans have rocks in your heads!! Learned to drive a 76 CO KW with a 318 8-71. Ran 6-71 in aircraft support equipment, and set beside an aluminum 6v-53 in the amphibious tanks a time or two. I can't use the words to describe my sentiment on DD or I would get banned but I might just shoot myself if I had to drive/ride one again. They didn't last as long compared to cat or cummins. Used more fuel if placed in identical trucks. Leaked oil. In the morning you poured a gallon of oil in and THEN checked the level. If DD made rocks they would leak oil. Noisy. Always shifting. Run over a soft dog turd and you would have to shift. Some one contemplating putting one in a pickup should be neutered to ensure the won't pass on the love of and deafness of DD!

And to the lover of a cummins 903. There is a good reason it was nick named a worthless 03. Only things worse in reliability was a 555, 505ih or an 8.2l DD. A 3208 was barely ok. Most of your v 4stroke diesels where pretty worthless. A 3408 was ok. Don't know much about the Mack's

Give me a 3306,3406,855,n14,m10,or other I6 any day.

Last edited:
CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
2 cycle diesel has the highest placement of any diesel powered vehicle in the Indy 500 (12th). I'm that fan of the the 903 and DD....
Here is the thing I'm a diesel mechanic just starting out and I try not to limit myself to one brand in order to gain respect for new technology you have to learn about the old technology. Has Cummins and IH made a bad motor?? They all have done it. 2 strokes were just a different beast of a different time,I enjoy hearing the old time mechanics talk about setting the rack or the occasional run away.lol

Yes the DDs were not the fastest or fuel efficient but they had their place. Like said there are more than a few places in the US that use a DD for a generator purpose.

As for the 903 They are starting to become a little more popular on the Tractor pulling circuit, they even convert them to run on Alcohol (a thing of art in itself)
While they are not winning every event they are extremely competitive in most cases. At this stage of modding a motor any style of engine will or can blow up. Thinking outside the box can be a curse or a gift sometimes in the diesel world.

I respect your opinion though. I love talking about diesels... I'm currently in the market for a 6.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

shootingarts

shootingarts

ArboristSite Operative
. . . I love talking about diesels... I'm currently in the market for a 6.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

I wanna see the chainsaw you put it on!

I did find a four or five pound raker awhile back. Been wondering if I could get the state university to send out a team for an archeological dig, no telling how big that saw is if it can be located!

Hu

CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
I wanna see the chainsaw you put it on!

I did find a four or five pound raker awhile back. Been wondering if I could get the state university to send out a team for an archeological dig, no telling how big that saw is if it can be located!

Hu

was implying I'm looking at buying a truck equipped with said engines. however a 5.9 swapped into a Wagnoneer would be kind of cool

firebrick43

firebrick43

Life is all about big saws
DD runaway Ahhh yes. Happened a time or two on me. Really sucked when they rocked back on shutdown and restarted backwards running off crankcase oil and couldn't shut down unless you loaded it which with generators was nearly impossible.

shootingarts

shootingarts

ArboristSite Operative
was implying I'm looking at buying a truck equipped with said engines. however a 5.9 swapped into a Wagnoneer would be kind of cool

Yep, somehow I kinda suspected you didn't have a DD powered chainsaw in mind!

I had to think it was kind of funny when the factories came up with the cool idea of putting diesels in pick-ups. My neighbors on the bayou were doing that in their backyard, . . . in the fifties! They have some pretty decent diesels in Asia and Europe I believe, can't get them over here, too dirty.

Hu

bootboy

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mercedes makes a good diesel...seen a couple in snow cats

Pisten bully uses Benz diesels in their cats. Pretty reliable from what I understand but the mechanics at my mountain prefer the CAT C-series engines. They say they're easier to work on.

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mercedes makes a good diesel...seen a couple in snow cats
while that's very true, they're not two strokes. At least, not any recent engines made for the public.

Other two stroke diesels truck engines I know of are original UDs (UD6, UD4, UD5?, very similar to detroits), Commer TS3 (very interesting - 6 piston 3 cylinder, two cranks, commercially successful) and Foden FD6 (a real pearler by all accounts)