2 Stroke V8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most EMD locomotives are 2 stroke. They are in 567,645 and 710 cubic inch per cylinder. Some of the 645s and 710s are in v20 configurations although not as popular as the v16 model. The EMD sd90 was the only four stroker but had a short life due to electrical failures. Even most of those were in two stroke 710s in v16 at 4300hp. The General Electric locomotives are four stroke

Had a 318 Detroit with I think an 871 Jimmy on top of it in a cabover ten wheeler. It was geared for gulf coast running and if I had to run the 55 speed limit at the time I had to drop down to 11th gear on my 13 speed burning fuel to go nowhere so I was pretty much always ten over or so. That thing sang a pretty song coming up through the gears. The diesels were two cycle high compression engines with a Jimmy on top and sounded every bit as good as my open header race car engines. Those things screamed for a diesel, you could turn 2400rpm all the time, 2600 if it wasn't your engine! I got jealous of the big 92 Detroits and Cats in the hills but they were green at the pumps. I got eight to ten miles to the gallon, some of them just wished they could get two!

There was a 92 Detroit dump truck with custom cut gears in the third member and transmission, the toy of a big gravel pit owner and his son. That beast would cruise the interstate at 120mph, loaded, in the wee hours of the morning. The eighteen wheelers would start winding up coming out of Houston Texas and not back'm down till Baton Rouge in the wee hours those days. I was towing a race car back from Lafayette LA one or two o'clock many a Sunday morning. I was running seventy and these trucks were flying by me, a lot of them with big chunks of equipment on them. I was tired and ready to get home. I wasn't running a CB so I decided I'd catch a draft, save some fuel, and not sweat the very rare trooper on that stretch in those hours. Never knew the deal but the trucks and troopers seemed to have at least an unspoken agreement, never saw a trooper hiding during those hours on that stretch. I tucked in behind the next truck heading by with a huge chunk of oilfield equipment on it. I had to give it up when I hit a hundred in my dad's van with a dirt track car behind it and the truck was still walking away. Dad was in the passenger seat and he wasn't crazy about the idea!

Hu

Kawasaki made a 750cc triple cylinder 2 stroke street bike, when i hill climbed bikes a few guys had that engine stuffed in a dirt bike frame, they really screamed!!!

LOTS of Fire Engines used the Detroit 2-stroke 92 series. My fire district still has a couple 6V92's in service. They sound pretty cool!

Kawasaki made a 750cc triple cylinder 2 stroke street bike, when i hill climbed bikes a few guys had that engine stuffed in a dirt bike frame, they really screamed!!!

Not sure about Kawi, they may have had one as well, but I know Suzuki had a 750 triple 2 stroke, liquid cooled, back in the day. They were commonly referred to as "Water Buffaloes" and weren't highly regarded.

The old man had one, sounded like a dirt bike warming up on a cool fall morning, I think it was a 73 model?

I started running trucks and equipment at the tail end of the Detroit Diesel era. While they sound cool I do not miss spending a day sitting over or next to one. Were not called screamin demons for nothing. They did rev and pull hard but no torque down low in the smaller ones. Some of the big hot rodded 12v and 16v engines are pretty bad ass

There is a European company called Maico that makes a 700cc 2 cycle Motocross bike. I liked my 500 better in the aluminum frame, while a metal frame was nice because it flexed in real rough track sections, I'm a fan of Aluminum frame bikes.... I may pick up a KX250 F and swap a KX 250 in there to gain the better handling frame. lol

Kawasakii's bike was called an H2 back in the day.

Hell ya I'm gonna have to do that to my yamaha 200 so I can get my boat up to 80+mph!!!!!!

My uncle had an H2 750 back in the day. He said you could wheelie up to 90 and it topped out at 100. I guess the frames were basically made out of spaghetti though.

I had 3 diff't h2-750 Kawasaki triples in my time.. a 1973, 74 & 76. with 3 chambers & rejet'd carbs it'd beat almost anything in the 1/4 mi back then. When the tach showed 5k+ RPMs, all hell'd break loose. It'd get right at 120 in 1/4 mi n not go much over that flat out. It was a blast cruising 100 or so on the interstate, freaking every1 ya passed... sounded like a swarm of bees.

I'd like to trick a boat motor outboard out with the porting & chambers & play with the rich boys in their mil$ boats w/the mercury racing 1400HP motors. They do 150+ mph out my back door on the river...it's awesome. Check out mercury racing 1400...some of the guys run triples (@ over 200,000$/drive) .. ie 660000.00$ for the drives alone. Gotta wonder where they get all the $??

I've got a 4-53 Detroit in my 79 chevy 1/2 ton. It's been a project of mine for a couple years now but it'll be sweet when she's finished up. My favorite is the Detroit roll at idle.

I've got a 4-53 Detroit in my 79 chevy 1/2 ton. It's been a project of mine for a couple years now but it'll be sweet when she's finished up. My favorite is the Detroit roll at idle.

There is a guy that lives down the road from my mom and dads that has a 75 f250 with a Detroit 3-53 and an Allison transmission. I don't think it runs very fast but it sure sounds like it is. He had to make a hood scoop for it so the good will shut. Hard to believe they had to make cuts to shoehorn a 3cylinder diesel in a truck that came from the factory with a 460.

There is a guy that lives down the road from my mom and dads that has a 75 f250 with a Detroit 3-53 and an Allison transmission. I don't think it runs very fast but it sure sounds like it is. He had to make a hood scoop for it so the good will shut. Hard to believe they had to make cuts to shoehorn a 3cylinder diesel in a truck that came from the factory with a 460.

I actually have seen a couple swapped into a 2000 GM 1500 before. If I become rich I would do a swap like that amongst other things lol

Back