2 Truck Load a Cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of you guys sell 2 full size truck loads as a full "Cord"? , are is 1 Full load and a Half load to make a cord ( Seeing a how a cord is 8X4X4) ?

I don't sell firewood but it would depend on the type of wood that you are selling. For instance, dry seasoned red oak is right around 4600 lbs per cord. If you can get that in 3 half ton pickup loads you'd be doing good. On the other hand, cottonwood is around 2000 lbs. Doable in 1 1/2 loads.

Basically, depends on the type of wood and the truck you are using.

Do any of you guys sell 2 full size truck loads as a full "Cord"? , are is 1 Full load and a Half load to make a cord ( Seeing a how a cord is 8X4X4) ?

Yes, an 8 foot bed level thrown in is a 1/2 cord. I have a truck set up for a half cord (8foot bed level) and one for a full cord. I made this (pic below) that holds a full cord. I actually piled it into an 8 foot bed and then took it out and stacked it and it was a 1/2 cord.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a jerk, but try the search feature..... There's a bunch of posts on here that talk in length about firewood by the truckload.

To try to answer your question......

It depends, there's lots of variables there.....

size of pieces, stacked of thown, hieght of stack of pile, etc....

The best scenario is to have the wood already measured out then you know you've got a cord.

Having done some wood hauling...... yes. stacked to the top of the box, and slightly heaped in the middle, one truck load is approximately 1/2 cord.

If its for business purposes, don't sell by the cord if you're going to deliver by the truckload..... sell it by the truckload (assuming state rules permit) then there's no room for someone to come back and say it was short. Your response is simple, you paid for a truckload, you got a truckload.

I can be, but you must be wary of the way the splits are shaped, and tossed in. Many times, the splits are split down real small, the idea is to create more air space between the pieces, that way when you stack it up, it does look like a cord, but what you are getting is a lot of air. The same small pieces tossed in all jumbled about looks like a cord to those who have bought firewood before, but again, mostly air.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/modoc/passes/firewood_permits.shtml
some diagrams of different truck/cord volumes
firewood_permits.shtml

Last edited:
thats the way I sell it------full size pickup randomly thrown in---slightly heaped up is a 1/2 cord

I sell Fir , and the truck is a size chevy 2500 HD
Ya but that's a Chevy but what about the ford dodge owners out there!:popcorn: I am just having some fun I own all three but if it came down to one it would be a G.M
But it sound's about right I burn 10 pickup loads a year give or take one So 5 cords maybe a bit more as I wont own a truck without a canopy or topper, I go a bit taller than bed rail height in every load. All I cut is dry pine or Spruce with some poplar or on occasion some birch. If wet and especially poplar I can count on a heavy load

To be sure its only an extra few minutes to stack it in. we've been using a 1 ton hybrid nissan flatbed thing with dualies, a full load of dry fir is pushing it, so a cord requires two trips to be honest (ya, I'll post pics when I gets a chance :D )

:cheers:

Serge

Check out my avatar Pic

Note my avatar Pic. That's 72 to 75 cubic foot in a '97 Ranger with a 6' box. The side rails add 11" above the box and reach all the way to the cab. Without the side rails, I found it precarious to mound up enough wood to haul a full half cord. With the side rails and back rail, it's a piece of cake.

Note how easy I can remove the back rail for loading and unloading. Only two long 3/8" steel pins with lathe-turned knobs on top tie it to the side rails:
TruckSideboards4.jpg

The side rails have posts attached with bolts that drop into wells in the box. I made them out of ash about five years ago. Best idea I ever had.

Note my avatar Pic. That's 72 to 75 cubic foot in a '97 Ranger with a 6' box. The side rails add 11" above the box and reach all the way to the cab. Without the side rails, I found it precarious to mound up enough wood to haul a full half cord. With the side rails and back rail, it's a piece of cake.

Note how easy I can remove the back rail for loading and unloading. Only two long 3/8" steel pins with lathe-turned knobs on top tie it to the side rails:
TruckSideboards4.jpg

The side rails have posts attached with bolts that drop into wells in the box. I made them out of ash about five years ago. Best idea I ever had.
That how high I fill my truck just enough room to get the saws on top in a full size 8' box

Random vs. Packed Load

I have found that you pick up an additional 20% (about 12 cu ft) in a 1/2-ton pickup truck that has packed firewood in it rather than thrown in randomly. At 18" per row, I can get four rows in packed.

By packing somewhat carefully, you knock out voids and get more wood in the truck box.

Looking at the drawings in the link from wildbio, I guess I have been severely underestimating the amount of wood that I'm hauling out. I must also be thinking a cord is more wood than it is.

The next time I split wood, I think I'll mark off an 4x8 area and stack it 4 ft. high. Maybe what I'm missing is the visual aspect of it.

Matt

I can fit one full cord in my f350 with ez dump, just laod it until the wood starts to roll off the side of the mound then I put on ten inch side boards throw a few more logs in and tarp it. When you dump this load out is stacks perfectly with a few left over :cheers:

Back