2 Ways to give Arboriculture a Black Eye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apes climbing redwoods? Never heard of such a thing.

And these are today's redwoods - not Jurassic redwoods.

Grasping at straws aren't you :popcorn:

We are in the present - not the past. There is no Reincarnate National Redwood Park.

More grasping at straws.

Looking for one of those few isolated exceptions to define a general rule. Not a wise path. General rules are general rules, and exceptions are exceptions.

The guy that puts racoon shielding on redwoods with nesting bald eagles in them could school you on the science of natural arboreal climbers using trees to survive MD Vaden.

jomoco

Big old trees are mighty tough, I climbed old growth for a year, I know. Those trees are going to still be there, climbed or not, or like the trees I climbed, windfirmed and topped in the bush, with spurs.
I have seen trees that have taken nasty beatings, like an 8' red cedar that got hit with a 200' tall Hemlock, that pretty well sidelimbed it ground to sky. Or spruces that once were well over 200' that had their tops ripped off by the wind at around 100' and 4' through. Still alive, still growing strong.

You think some spurless tourists are going to hurt these trees ya'll are talkng about?

What a silly topic.

Well said Clearance, well said, I would rep you but I'm all out.

Like I said - the book was shelved. If I already found the place once, I wasn't about to open the book and look for the chapter again to feed your manner of asking.

Figured you could find it yourself.

The chapter won't be leaving soon - the paragraph will still be there.

attachment.php

Big old trees are mighty tough, I climbed old growth for a year, I know. Those trees are going to still be there, climbed or not, or like the trees I climbed, windfirmed and topped in the bush, with spurs.
I have seen trees that have taken nasty beatings, like an 8' red cedar that got hit with a 200' tall Hemlock, that pretty well sidelimbed it ground to sky. Or spruces that once were well over 200' that had their tops ripped off by the wind at around 100' and 4' through. Still alive, still growing strong.

You think some spurless tourists are going to hurt these trees ya'll are talkng about?

What a silly topic.

Did you look at the link I posted to the photo at Dunklin's album?

Or did you sort of skim the thread?

Did you think this was just about the redwoods?

And TREEVET ...

The old dude still has his eyes open, just like you had.

Last edited:
Did you look at the link I posted to the photo at Dunklin's album?

Or did you sort of skim the thread?

Did you think this was just about the redwoods?

I skimmed the thread, I admit it. But whatever, they make a new tree every day, they grow back, they are tough, and so on. I will slink off now M.D., I am after all just a lowly utility guy.

My impression is that you are rather new to the more refined aspects of arboriculture and forest management. Less than 7 years - right?

Especially after trying to quote one verse to make a point.

Pay attention to context.

Even Shigo wrote on one page that there was a perfect time of year to prune, and then on virtually the next page, said pruning can be done any time of year. Stick around for a while, and read the big picture.

jomoco's suggestion - in context - that climbers should climb at will, world heritage site protected old growth with endangered species, sounds like another form of tree butchery the way I see it.

And pertaining to something else your wrote, there already are a few trees set aside not to climb. Set aside and protected by people trained to figure that out. It's their job, and they set the rules. The rules are not difficult ones.. You seem to have missed the premise for the topic.

Yes, less than 7 years. Now shall we compare how many hours we've both spent in the canopy?

Most rec climbing on huge trees is done SRT. So the only friction to the cambium is when placing the rope, without any weight on it. Even Ddrt with a cambium saver, there's not enough damage to be concerned about.

Soil compaction? Is a 4' wide path really so terrible as to ban people from walking on the forest floor? Better advise the wildlife too, they never use trails upon which the soil is compacted.

Damage to micro-ecosystems, sure, it's possible. They survive storms, ice, animals, and regenerate over time if they do receive damage.

As in most cases, training the people who use the rescource to do so responsibly will create a better long term, all around outcome than simply saying, you can't do that, then trying to enforce it.

By the way, I haven't seen any evidence posted from when/where rec climbers damaged or killed any trees, "important ones" or not. Got any? Or is this whole thread just ground level hyperbole?

I skimmed the thread, I admit it. But whatever, they make a new tree every day, they grow back, they are tough, and so on. I will slink off now M.D., I am after all just a lowly utility guy.

Really. That easy.

Some areas yes - others not.

Drive Howland Hill Rd. and let me know how many small redwoods you see, under 50 years old. Or along Boy Scout Tree trail.

Now shall we compare how many hours we've both spent in the canopy?

Most rec climbing on huge trees is done SRT. So the only friction to the cambium is when placing the rope, without any weight on it. Even Ddrt with a cambium saver, there's not enough damage to be concerned about.

Stick around in the trees for another couple of decades.

You don't want to do that comparison. I've been in trees since 1980.

And the protected redwoods climbing has little to do with who has the least years.

Now, the same reply to you as to Clearance - you may have missed the link in an earlier post to a photo album image at Dunklin photography.

If you are talking about cambium and redwoods here, you are in another arena of subject matter. There is something else up in the redwoods that a lot of concern is about.

John Paul Sanborn seems to be one of few who replied about the right aspect.

Either he's knowledgeable or paying attention - but he got it right.

Last edited:
***You don't want to do that comparison. I've been in trees since 1980.***

Climbing and working in the canopy or "into trees" since 1980, reading about them and working with them from the ground level?:popcorn:

***You don't want to do that comparison. I've been in trees since 1980.***

Climbing and working in the canopy or "into trees" since 1980, reading about them and working with them from the ground level?:popcorn:

There is much you are unaware of Padawan Learner.

Pay closer attention to what else I wrote, like the Dunklin album.

Because you fell down the same hole.

Pssst: Covert "ninja" Redwood Climb: Apply here

OPERATION BLACK EYE

Extraordinary circumstances will provide YOU (the adventurous and skilled climber) an opportunity to sail amongst the world's tallest and oldest redwoods canopies.

Times, dates and locations are being kept secret. A small group of 6 climbers only, helo'd in and also extracted!

The climb starts in reverse, an abseil from 400' out of a chopper to the crown of the first tree.

Other group members likewise on other trees setting up tyrolean traverses.

To expedite ascent for extraction you will use The Power Ascender aka Scotty and easily climb at 22m per minute ... no sweat. Do note that this device is currently not available in the USA as the world likes to watch you sweat it out. :)

The entire adventure will be filmed with preset cameras, you will all also have helmet mounted cameras and coms devices.

Footage will be streamed to the internet directly, real time via an array of proxy servers.

All participants will sign a legal defense to the organisers, you will not ever at any point risk prosecution. The organisers will idemnify you for any loss, injury or other acts which may arise regardless of the circumstances, (after your fee is paid and you have set foot in the chopper).

Why is this being organised?

To show the world "We doan need no stinkeeng permits" :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Extraordinary circumstances will provide YOU (the adventurous and skilled climber) an opportunity to sail amongst the world's tallest and oldest redwoods canopies.

Was waiting for Ekka's reply. Almost posted in advance.

Ekka replies in way that shows the yo-yo factor.

The lesser forums were never good enough for him, but they must be better than he thought, because he finds more honey here.

Ekka is sort of like a Ramora.

Last edited:
Ekka, I would like to be the first to sign up for your climb. What's it gonna cost all told? Just drop me on the ground, I want to use a flipline and gaffs. Takin these Redwoods oldschool.

Ekka, I would like to be the first to sign up for your climb. What's it gonna cost all told? Just drop me on the ground, I want to use a flipline and gaffs. Takin these Redwoods oldschool.

On a few fat redwoods that I've seen Nails I'd put money on you not making it more than 40 feet bro!

Seriously, even with 4 other climbers strategically placed to help each other with their lanyards, their choreography would have to be very precise and extremely well timed.

jomoco

On a few fat redwoods that I've seen Nails I'd put money on you not making it more than 40 feet bro!

Seriously, even with 4 other climbers strategically placed to help each other with their lanyards, their choreography would have to be very precise and extremely well timed.

jomoco

Then I will have to improvise. Springboards come to mind.:monkey:

Nice MD, why don't you tell us how you really feel about us climbers? Oh, wait, you did.....
"If you feel that people should keep their filthy little scummy hands off primeval redwoods, then shame on the climbers."

I've scanned the thread 3 times looking for the album you keep reffering to so.....link please.

You're also being very vague about the altitude at which you've been in trees since 1980. Do you climb or not? Can I possibly be more direct?

I can easily admit that my perceptions may be wrong....(and I'm reading some of your linked info now), but good god man, stop running in circles and evading the topic you brought up....

Big old trees are mighty tough. Those trees are going to still be there, climbed or not.

What a silly topic.

Very Well said for a line guy lol. Sorry to cut up yer quote there clearance.
Some areas yes - others not.

Also Well said.
OPERATION BLACK EYE

LMFAO!!!

I gave all my rep in this thread.... Why cant we all just get along?

Nice MD, why don't you tell us how you really feel about us climbers? Oh, wait, you did.....

I've scanned the thread 3 times looking for the album you keep reffering to so.....link please.

It's in post #54.

A note in bold print and one of these ">" has been pointing to it.

Back