20 acres- what equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub0927

Reaction score
I am looking at a 70 acre farm that has a 20 acre woodlot; mostly oak with some fir. It is on a sidehill 20-45% slope and there are no roads just game trails. I plan on cutting blowdowns and doing some thinnning for firewood to keep the teenage boys busy and supplied with hard-earned cash.
What would be the most valuable machine out there; dozer, backhoe, excavator? So many things I don't know and have a few forester friends to guide me before I do anything major but I'm wondering about equipment and what has the most purpose out there?
I appreciate your comments.

Grub

That steep a slope makes anything but a dozer risky. Are you sure you have the slope right? It would be really hard to saw on a 40-45 degree slope. A typical ag tractor, skid steer and most backhoes will roll if they try to transit those type of slopes.

Even driving a dozer will involve a high pucker factor if you have to transit or climb forward. Backing up the slope might work b/c you can use the blade to control the forward roll/tip.

If that is indeed the slope then I think you need to be thinking about winch setups. You will want to skid using a winch with the equipment on a more flat/stable landing. If you have very large/stable trees to anchor with then I recommend a skid steer because of the versatility. If you don't have a relatively flat place that can serve as a landing then you might consider a dozer that can make one (although a skid steer and time can move a lot of dirt too).

Without know any additional information, I would go with excavator. 45% slope will be tough, but capable. You will need a good operator though. If that is not an option, I would look at doing winching as well. Depends on how much of the 20 acres is at this steep of grade.

The slope figures come off the USDA soil map and the terrain varies to be sure. I have considered a few roads and some decks to work to. Most every logging operation I have seen winches uphill- is there any reason you couldn't pull downhill as well? It would be nice to just deck a bunch of logs and buck them up on the flat.
Thanks for the replies.

Grub

The slope figures come off the USDA soil map and the terrain varies to be sure. I have considered a few roads and some decks to work to. Most every logging operation I have seen winches uphill- is there any reason you couldn't pull downhill as well? It would be nice to just deck a bunch of logs and buck them up on the flat.
Thanks for the replies.

Grub

Its kinda dangerous to pull down hill, i would suggest not doing it. A dozer would be most usefull for what you describe

Last edited:
I would also suggest a dozer type of machine. If it were me I would get a bucket dozer though. They are much handier for what you are considering. Maybe something like a used John Deere 350 or better yet a 450.

With that kind of setup, you could chain short to the hooks on the bucket and skid downhill with ease.

Good luck and stay safe!

Bob

I like the 4-1 bucket loader idea. I cleared a brush patch with a backhoe equipped with a 4-1 bucket and that was handiest thing I have ever used. So much faster than an excavator with a thumb. I still managed to get it stuck in a creek bottom and had to rent a dozer to pull it out, on Valentine's Day! Nothing says love like John Deere.
Thanks again for the input.

G

skidding downhill not a good idea

While it can be done, the safety issue with skidding downhill is that the logs can roll over you and you will not be able to stop them. Most operations skid uphill so that they can control the turn. If you loose control of a log on its way uphill you can safely watch it destroy things other than you and your equipment.

Skidding by hooking chains to the top of the bucket works great - I do it all the time. I realize it isn't up to speed for a production outfit, but is good for making the most of a small budget.

Latest posts

Back