200' from property line & EPA Certified or remove from service by 2015!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just read Ohio's proposed regulations for outdoor wood burning furnaces.
They must be at least 200 feet from any property line.
They must be EPA Certified.
Or they must be taken out of service by July 1, 2015.

The funny part is some people will put desiel in their oil furnaces if they get it cheap through businesses like farmers,trucking companies, and commercial fisherman.Apparently that has the highest carcinogen known to man according to scientists.But yet wood smoke is targeted.

Gets my blood boiling. I just bought an indoor furnace and it will be next. Scream loud and often guys. They're knocking a lot of people out with the 200' thing. Every time something is taken away, or restricted, or taxed into oblivion it is supposedly for the greater good. We in Ohio look at California and say "What a bunch of freaks?"; Then we follow them right down the same stincking road!

Goes to show that common sense does not apply to gov regs. A one size fits all rule penalizes the 99% that are not causing a problem.

That is a BIG load of crap!~ If you pay your taxes and aren't putting one in a downtown suburb where it will oviously smoke everyone out you should be able to do what you want it SHOULD be your property as in you get to actually make your own decisions what you do on it or to it!! Just my 2 cents not that it means much!! Maybe the same people that put that into effect should have to get rid of their expensive gas guzzling vechicles by the same time no matter how much it cost or how much life is left in it and have no choice given to them but to drive a tiny sardine can that gets better gas mileage and oh yeah the color should be carfeully chosen by some super important and overpaid government board or panel! What are we headed for and where does it stop? I can see some regulations but only to a point banning in all situations is crazy!

let's see, burn wood and reduce the amount of oil consumed = reduced dependence on forein oil. HECK NO!!!!! ban all wood burning appliances!

Seems that soon the use of wood stoves will incur a tax. Oil is taxed, gas is taxed, electric is taxed, wood is not taxed.

While I do not have an outdoor furnace, It really t's me off that they are being banned.

Don't even get me started on the ammo bans either.

Another stupid law, were will it end. Telling ya how you can or cant heat your home is the biggest pile of BS.

Next they will try citing ya for fartin in public without a restrictor.:jawdrop:

what would the consequences be if you do not obey this new law? I'd bet by 2015 the consequences would still be cheaper than burning oil.

what would the consequences be if you do not obey this new law? I'd bet by 2015 the consequences would still be cheaper than burning oil.

chances are they can remove it from your property and not only fine you, but charge you for materials and labor to do it.

sorry to see you guys who have spent thousands on your OWB's only to face this. many towns in my area are beginning to enact OWB restrictions and some have banned them completely.

my own town, looking forward i guess, has stated that any windmill, used for generating electricity, must be at least 50 feet from any property line or building...which includes the blades.

i expect many more such laws to be enacted around the country as alternative fuels become more popular.

let's see, burn wood and reduce the amount of oil consumed = reduced dependence on forein oil. HECK NO!!!!! ban all wood burning appliances!

Seems that soon the use of wood stoves will incur a tax. Oil is taxed, gas is taxed, electric is taxed, wood is not taxed.

While I do not have an outdoor furnace, It really t's me off that they are being banned.

Amen. Tough down your way, straight6jeff, with all the sprawl coming up from the Boston metro area. We're even seeing it here in NH's Lakes Region. Salem and surrounding towns have NH zip codes, but its difficult to maintain a rural lifestyle with all the development.

Heaven forbid a tax on firewood. So many of the dealers around here (especially their seasonal employees) would experience hardship. Many who deal do so to offset the high property taxes, which keep going up to increase services needed because of the development, e.g. roads, schools, added cops. Kind of a viscious circle, really.

Glad the boiler I have is sitting in the garage out of site. If they want it better have a warrant and police protection. Dont these A.
holes how how much is invested in these units.

yeah the environmental wackos and liberal government will be the end of us all. It will only get worse as time goes on....

Are there really people out there who check? I'de say screw them!

Nosey PO'd neighbors might call attention. Just like some neighbor reporting your newly constructed shed to the city just to watch you squirm with permits because they don't like you. (never happened to me, but have heard many stories)

:angry:

Nosey PO'd neighbors might call attention. Just like some neighbor reporting your newly constructed shed to the city just to watch you squirm with permits because they don't like you. (never happened to me, but have heard many stories)

:angry:

True, I guess i'm lucky to have good neighbors.

Hopefully you have a cleaner burning OWB, or burn in a way that reduces the visible smoke.

I think the state should grandfather the current installs, and future ones need to be cleaner burning (like most states do with woodstoves).

If you have not installed one, here is a list of cleaner burning OWBs: http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/models.htm

Back