2000 f 450 4x4 7.3 dump bed question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiopride

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello im looking at a 2000 f 450 4x4 dump truck with the 7.3 diesel it has just rolled over 100,000 miles and the asking price is $7000.has anyone had experience with this truck any advice when i go to drive it

Good truck. Auto or manual? If it's an auto figure in a tranny if it has not been rebuilt. Figure on changing the oil pan and gasket as they rot out. Check the frame real carefully. 7k for a 4/4 450 dump with a 100k almost sounds to good to be true. Just hard to come by in good shape. The motor will outlast the body and frame.

Yes it's auto and the frame looks very good the guy that has it bought out a landscaping business and is selling all the old equipment to put towards new he's selling skid steers and other equipment and wants it gone fast I guess that accounts for the prices the body has some dents but he replacing both doors and fenders but now he tells me it might have an exhaust leak barely noticeable said maybe a small Crack in the manifold but can't see anything so he's guessing as to where the sound is coming from

Sounds like a good deal then. I have a friend that got a mid 90's 350 manual 7.3 and that thing has ate him up with rust and wear related problems. I think it had 65k on the odometer.
What are you planning on using the truck for?

It only had 65k on it and had a load of problems? And I started a small land clearing /land management business and don't want to start with alot of over head and I already have a 2001 f350 7.3 srw but really need a dump

For that kind of money I'd jump on it. I have an 02 F550 19,000 GVWR with the 7.3 and auto that is still a beast of a pulling machine with 250,000 on the clock. Exhaust leaks are common. Manifold studs break and the crossover pipe for the turbo need to be replaced with the International bellows type. My trans went at 175,000 pulling GCW of 28,000-30,000 but the rebuild is still stronger than the original. Brake boosters and power steering pumps get weak but with 100,000 that shouldn't be a problem.

For that kind of money I'd jump on it. I have an 02 F550 19,000 GVWR with the 7.3 and auto that is still a beast of a pulling machine with 250,000 on the clock. Exhaust leaks are common. Manifold studs break and the crossover pipe for the turbo need to be replaced with the International bellows type. My trans went at 175,000 pulling GCW of 28,000-30,000 but the rebuild is still stronger than the original. Brake boosters and power steering pumps get weak but with 100,000 that shouldn't be a problem.
Ok thank u for the reply ya I love the 7.3 I have a 2001 f350 7.3 that I've beat on pretty hard and she still wants more just never heard of a exhaust leak /cracked manifold that low mileage of a truck just made me think of over heating but I'm also thinking hes just guessin and it's just the up pipes

Pulling heavy these engines build alot of heat. Most of the 250-350 trucks never see a duty cycle even close to what they were designed for. Mine has pulled heavy for atleast 2/3rds of the miles on the clock. It is a dedicated backhoe hauler. Around the 200,000 mark it started acting up and had some fits straightening it out but the whole problem was the tiny filters in the fuel tank module.

Pulling heavy these engines build alot of heat. Most of the 250-350 trucks never see a duty cycle even close to what they were designed for. Mine has pulled heavy for atleast 2/3rds of the miles on the clock. It is a dedicated backhoe hauler. Around the 200,000 mark it started acting up and had some fits straightening it out but the whole problem was the tiny filters in the fuel tank module.
Have u kept yours stock or any tuners or chips I have a ts 6 position chip in the 350 and got good results and any advice on things to check when I go test drive it

My 550 does have a chip. It was installed when it had problems at 200k. Stock, High idle, 50, 75, 100, Smoke are the options. Check the shift lever for play. Check the tires because 19.5s are expensive. If it has new rubber add it in. Notice the overall condition of the truck. If it looks beat it probably is. My 4x4 has been bullet proof but the lockouts gave up. Start it up cold and see how it runs. It should be smooth. A bad injector will cause a cold miss.

450s run 19.5s now? Mine is 10 lug 16".

Now that I think of it maybe one of the shop 450s hasv19.5s *have 3 of them and a 550.)

My 550 does have a chip. It was installed when it had problems at 200k. Stock, High idle, 50, 75, 100, Smoke are the options. Check the shift lever for play. Check the tires because 19.5s are expensive. If it has new rubber add it in. Notice the overall condition of the truck. If it looks beat it probably is. My 4x4 has been bullet proof but the lockouts gave up. Start it up cold and see how it runs. It should be smooth. A bad injector will cause a cold miss.
Sounds like the same chip I have in the 350 and I just ran the carfax on it and for the first 95000 miles it's has had everything inspected and repaired even down to the oil changes at the dealer cps sensors replaced which is a common problem and the trany was flushed and serviced every 2 years the most detailed car fax I've ever had never in an accident and only 2 owner the guy that has it now has only put 5000 miles on it in 3 years it has 100008 miles on it it has some dents and has been used but he is putting two new Ford doors and fenders on it for me the guy that has it now buys companies out and has just been sitting on it

Sounds like the same chip I have in the 350.

I just ran the carfax on it and for the first 95000 miles it had everything inspected and repaired even down to the oil changes at the dealer. CPS sensors were replaced, which is a common problem and the trany was flushed and serviced every 2 years! It is the most detailed car fax I've ever seen.

The truck never was in an accident and only 2 owners. The guy that has it now has only put 5000 miles on it in 3 years. It has 100008 miles on it.

It has some dents and has been used but he is putting two new Ford doors and fenders on it for me. He buys companies out and has just been sitting on it.

I about saw stars trying to read that in one shot! I sort of fixed it for you.

I agree with all. Same probs w mine. rust, oil and tranny pans rotted out. Cam sensor crapped out. Fuel tank rusted out. Was a good truck. Had 120k when I traded it in. Strong motor.

mike

Back