2016 MS361 roll call, who's still got one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any of you 361 owners compared your original to the Hutzel/Farmertec MS361 kit saw?

I recently assembled one and in the shakedown phase.

I'm mostly having trouble with the Choke/run/off control. Slips to full choke when you trigger it off fast idle.

Also, how many turns out on the low speed jet screw?

Thanks fellas!

Have any of you 361 owners compared your original to the Hutzel/Farmertec MS361 kit saw?

I recently assembled one and in the shakedown phase.

I'm mostly having trouble with the Choke/run/off control. Slips to full choke when you trigger it off fast idle.

Also, how many turns out on the low speed jet screw?

Thanks fellas!
I've never had any trouble with the choke on my 361, don't know what would cause it to go to choke other than maybe putting something on backwards or something like that, maybe the little dogbone is catching the choke lever on the wrong side? Most low speed screws are at one turn depending on which carb you have. I put a Zama on mine and it worked better than the Walbro and it didn't have limiters.

I have had one since August just before a tropical storm came through and it did great during that cleanup. Since I aquired a 460 and most recently, a 660 (mainly for milling) I'm thinking of dumping the 361 for a 260 or 240 class saw as my general purpose.

I do not deny that it is quite good though. Mine is muffler modded and carb screw limiter deleted and has decent power for the package it comes in.

Oh Really?

Went to the pawn shop today to look at the chainsaws, they seemed to have a bunch this time but kinda pricey. A Stihl 362 for $600 seemed kinda high to me, an Echo 590 for $300, I thought they sold new for about $339. Anyway I didn't buy...I guess a 361 and 362 are a bit different?

Think 044/MS440 vs MS441.

I still have mine. I bought on here about 5-6 years ago. I put a 20 inch Stihl es bar, new air filter, and a new side grill on the flywheel side because mine was all cracked. It's my favorite saw of the three I own.

I mainly use my 250. Most of what I'm cutting is under 10 inches and I do like it's power, size, and light weight. I like to use the 361 for anything between 10-20 inches and my 046 with a 25 inch Stihl es bar for anything larger. I know I could use the 361 for pretty much all of that, but I like to play with the others too.

I still have mine. I bought on here about 5-6 years ago. I put a 20 inch Stihl es bar, new air filter, and a new side grill on the flywheel side because mine was all cracked. It's my favorite saw of the three I own.

I mainly use my 250. Most of what I'm cutting is under 10 inches and I do like it's power, size, and light weight. I like to use the 361 for anything between 10-20 inches and my 046 with a 25 inch Stihl es bar for anything larger. I know I could use the 361 for pretty much all of that, but I like to play with the others too.

For a fun time, go to left coast supplies website. There you can buy a 16" GB bar for your 361. For like $9 or $10. Get a couple of chains while you're there. A 16" bar on that 361 will be more useful in little wood like that, so you'll get to use your favorite saw more. :)

15003384_10154037102002304_261998471742165105_o.jpg

Here's mine. I have some aftermarket dogs on it and a 20" Oregon Prolite bar. I still need to do a muffler mod but that means making a deflector.

I paid 50.00 for mine with with a scored cylinder . Cleaned it up and put a new piston in it, still running strong .Just used it today one of my favorite saws.

Ive posted this one once, but heres my ms 361. I bought it from the rental shop im a hired hand at for 10 bucks but it was rough, engine was perfect though. Put a bunch of parts in it big pto cover, big double dogs, tank guard and a 25" bar. Still need to track down a chain brake, mine is been repaired.14790780403291146449619.jpg

Latest posts

Back