Keep one: 036 or MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
About 4 years ago I bought my first chainsaw. I grew up using my dad's 036, so when I found a great deal on a 361 I jumped on it. I bought it out West so it came with a full-wrap, big dogs and a 25" bar.

I knew it was a compromise, but I didn't have the funds for two saws, so I bought the 60cc saw.

Anyway, fast forward a few years. I got a great deal on a Shindaiwa 488 ($60), and moved back to my father's property, so I have one 50cc saw and 2 60cc saws. I had a little extra cash in my pocket so I decided to add a bigger saw and planned on selling one of the 60ccs.

So now I've got the 488, 036, 361, and 460 (which is way more fun to buck oak with than the 60cc saws :)).

So... The time is approaching to sell one or the other. The 036 is about 20 years old (metal tag), but my dad bought it new and has the cold-weather kit new in the bag, which is cool. Piston and cylinder look great. He's probably cut an average of 2 cords/year for the time he's owned it. The 361 came to me barely used and has preformed flawlessly. I like the AV and the full-wrap. I figure they both do the same job and selling the 361 would put about $100 more in my pocket.

I'll use the saw I keep as a second-person saw for both limbing and bucking on occasion, and probably keep it near the mill with the Shindaiwa.

I've been a member for a couple years, and haven't posted much, but I spend some time learning from the threads here when I have a chance. Thanks for all the knowledge, and for any opinions on this topic!!

Ryan

About 4 years ago I bought my first chainsaw. I grew up using my dad's 036, so when I found a great deal on a 361 I jumped on it. I bought it out West so it came with a full-wrap, big dogs and a 25" bar.

I knew it was a compromise, but I didn't have the funds for two saws, so I bought the 60cc saw.

Anyway, fast forward a few years. I got a great deal on a Shindaiwa 488 ($60), and moved back to my father's property, so I have one 50cc saw and 2 60cc saws. I had a little extra cash in my pocket so I decided to add a bigger saw and planned on selling one of the 60ccs.

So now I've got the 488, 036, 361, and 460 (which is way more fun to buck oak with than the 60cc saws :)).

So... The time is approaching to sell one or the other. The 036 is about 20 years old (metal tag), but my dad bought it new and has the cold-weather kit new in the bag, which is cool. Piston and cylinder look great. He's probably cut an average of 2 cords/year for the time he's owned it. The 361 came to me barely used and has preformed flawlessly. I like the AV and the full-wrap. I figure they both do the same job and selling the 361 would put about $100 more in my pocket.

I'll use the saw I keep as a second-person saw for both limbing and bucking on occasion, and probably keep it near the mill with the Shindaiwa.

I've been a member for a couple years, and haven't posted much, but I spend some time learning from the threads here when I have a chance. Thanks for all the knowledge, and for any opinions on this topic!!

Ryan
I would keep the o36 because it was your fathers. Hell I would keep mostly all of them.

Personally I would keep the 036 for sentimental reasons and sell the 361. My father has an 036 that has seen a lot of wood in its day. It's pretty beat up. In fact it looks like ****, but everytime you pull the rope she springs to life and is ready to go to work. I've spent many hours filing her chains on the back of the old wood wagon in freezing weather with numb fingers. I'd never let him get rid of it. Lots of memories. His 036 will never leave our family. Oh and it was also the first chainsaw I ever ran

Personally I would keep the 036 for sentimental reasons and sell the 361. My father has an 036 that has seen a lot of wood in its day. It's pretty beat up. In fact it looks like ****, but everytime you pull the rope she springs to life and is ready to go to work. I've spent many hours filing her chains on the back of the old wood wagon in freezing weather with numb fingers. I'd never let him get rid of it. Lots of memories. His 036 will never leave our family. Oh and it was also the first chainsaw I ever ran
Yep. Usually, with some personal saw knowledge, a guy can get one of those running and fully functional for under $100. They throw chips as well as any 60cc saw. Downright dependable. Your ol man spoiled you starting you out on a 036 lol

Yep. Usually, with some personal saw knowledge, a guy can get one of those running and fully functional for under $100. They throw chips as well as any 60cc saw. Downright dependable. Your ol man spoiled you starting you out on a 036 lol
After 25 some years it's still the only saw he owns. I've asked him several times why he hasn't bought another saw and he always says "why? there's nothing wrong with this one". I guess he has a point.

After 25 some years it's still the only saw he owns. I've asked him several times why he hasn't bought another saw and he always says "why? there's nothing wrong with this one". I guess he has a point.
There are many here still trying to aquire one. I don't think they'll ever be outdated while I'm alive

Yeah i'd never sell that 036.i still have my dads mini mac 35.and acuired my uncles pm1000,pm700 and his poulan 3300.money wouldnt touch these saws.the pm 700 is just a rough parts saw.the 3300 is a nice rebuilder and the pm1000 runs and cuts but i still want to do a face lift soon.
Sure they arent worth much but worth a whole lot to me.

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

I appreciate all the input. It's still a tough choice, but I think I'll sell the 361. I do partially wish I could keep both of them, but it's not in the cards right now.

Time to polish up the 361.

I have around 15 Stihls, from 015 to 066. My 036 (metal badge) is my favorite saw for actual cutting. Perfect balance of weight, size and power. Can't wait to see what it does after I port it.

It's the saw I grab outa the bunch first when a tree goes down. Would never sell it.

You made your mind up already but ill post. Im a saw hoarder and wouldnt sell any saw. Im sentimental too so I definitely not sell dads saw.

Latest posts

Back