Who has the most time on their ms361? (Pics welcome)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The legendary 361 has been around for more than 10 years now so there must be a few out there with some time on the clock. Let's hear about them! When did you get yours, what mods have you done, how do you use it, etc.

Mine is probably still considered a low hour saw. Bought it in the spring of '07. Have cut around 4 cord each summer in the early years but closer to 6 the last few. I would guess something like 45 cord of mostly Doug fir in total. The only mod I've ever made was to swap out the stock bar studs for the 441 studs. Most of the time I've run a 25" ES bar but last year bought a 20" E bar to try. I am finally gonna do the lakeside muff mod this year and see what all the fuss is about! :chainsaw:

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

Nice saw and setup well !

A strong one saw plan.
Thanks I'm actually working on a three saw plan similar to yours, just older. I've also got an 024 and an 038 Mag. The 038 needs gone through before I can use it. I'll add it to my sig once it's running!

My German MS 361 is a semi high mileage saw.
The original owner got in in 2002 or 2003 in Germany and used it a great deal in the forestry service ( Forstverwaltung) . I got it in 2010 ( I think) from him and thus far have only changed the fuel filter. It runs a 20" bar and chain but I also have a 25 " set up for it as well. Only modification I did was remove the limiter caps and tune it a little rich. The last few weeks I have run it a lot cleaning up fallen trees at a local horse stable. It is a predictable saw, smooth running and very well balanced. I have also been tasked to made 20, 2 inch thick cookie center pieces for a friends wedding.

I've never run one, but I hope to some day. Hopefully, Windthrown will see your thread, he really likes these saws and had a lot of time on them.

My favorite is the 044, the next step up, but I also really like my 362. I understand the 361s are a noticeable amount lighter than the 362, would be a nice saw to try.

MustangMike said:
I've never run one, but I hope to some day. Hopefully, Windthrown will see your thread, he really likes these saws and had a lot of time on them.

My favorite is the 044, the next step up, but I also really like my 362. I understand the 361s are a noticeable amount lighter than the 362, would be a nice saw to try.
I agree the 361 seems smaller all around. I think te 361 pulls more rpms but the 362 has more torque

I agree the 361 seems smaller all around. I think te 361 pulls more rpms but the 362 has more torque
That's the impression I've gotten reading AS. I've never run a 362 though so I can't say. I have played with them at the dealer and they do seem bigger.

I've also read that the 361 picks up a lot of torque with a muff mod. I've wondered how the 361 compares with the 362 if they each have muff mods.

I think the older saws may respond a little more to muff mods than the newer ones. The 044 also really improves with an HD-2 filter, don't know if there is something similar for the 361 (362 C s come with them).

Latest posts

Back