General consensus - Stihl MS361 with 24" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In hardwoods no 60cc saw will pull a 24" burried in the wood with any sort of authority.
The 361 is a turd stock until you gut the muffler. It runs much better after.
In western softwood a 361 is workable with a 24",but even then I prefer skip chain on a stock muffler modded 361.
A ported 361 by @huskihl will pull a 24" bar with authority in both soft and hardwood if you have good chain sharpening skills.

I ran a 28” bar on my 034 super with a ship tooth chain. It worked well on pnw old growth. It worked well even milling. The same 28” bar is now on my 261 and works great there.

Sacrificing a bar for ergonomics is a trade off I’d make any day of cutting. Insufficient oiling will eventually wreck a bar. But it’s one of the easiest items to change out on any chainsaw.

My family moved from Rolds two generations ago.

In hardwoods no 60cc saw will pull a 24" burried in the wood with any sort of authority.
The 361 is a turd stock until you gut the muffler. It runs much better after.
In western softwood a 361 is workable with a 24",but even then I prefer skip chain on a stock muffler modded 361.
A ported 361 by @huskihl will pull a 24" bar with authority in both soft and hardwood if you have good chain sharpening skills.
My 361 is stock, I don't work in mods or know anyone here that does that.
I do repair and fix my own saws though, every inch.

It's sorta rare actually here, in Denmark, that people do mods etc, afaik. anyway.

So you would suggest sticking to a 20" Light bar - I can't not go ES light bar, those pictures of these saws makes me drool :laugh:

Latest posts

Back