2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been awhile since I've been on here and see everyone is gettng some good garden results. These are beefmasters, not sure I like these that much as they have a large hard core, taste good. Tried some Cherokee Purple this year, can't seem to get them to ripen all the way before they split. They'll split with the top still green, otherwise they taste good too.

Kentucky Wonder string beans are prolific. The biggest problem I'm having this year is Japanese beetles. They have been way numerous and continuous this year than others. I can usually spray the bean tops once and they are gone. Spray the apple trees once and gone. Have sprayed 3 times this year and get other another brood within a week. They have shredded a couple cherry trees.

Plus, have never seen them on sweet corn before but they started cutting the silks off, hit them with Seven once which I've never had to do before.

2023 2. 19 lb tomoto.jpeg
2023 july12 tomato.jpeg
2023 KW beans.jpeg

We found that all of the modern big tomatoes have gone down in quality so we go with the small varieties now because of the core that the big ones have. There used to be a lot of big ones that were great for slices that would cover a sammich but not any more.
Bugs of all kinds have been a pain in the azz here this year too!

I have a question for all you gardeners. My redhorse troybuilt has been acting up for years. Engine is a kholer K181, 301018, 8HP. Sometimes it will crank the first or second pull and other times it wont crank without spraying it full of either. I got tired of fooling with it, you might get one row tilled before it quit and sometimes it would die as soon as you dropped the tillers into the ground. I took it to the shop yesterday and they tinkered with it, put in new plug, new condenser, cleaned carb and fuel tank, same old thing. They called kholer tech and they suggested some sort of module that replaces the points and it got worse. Now they are saying ignition module with coil, (stator and coil kit), that is no longer available. I dound one on ebay and it was $240, a litte more than I Think I should pay for a 40+ year old tiller. So if anybody has any ideals as to what the engine trouble could be I would like to hear it.

I have a question for all you gardeners. My redhorse troybuilt has been acting up for years. Engine is a kholer K181, 301018, 8HP. Sometimes it will crank the first or second pull and other times it wont crank without spraying it full of either. I got tired of fooling with it, you might get one row tilled before it quit and sometimes it would die as soon as you dropped the tillers into the ground. I took it to the shop yesterday and they tinkered with it, put in new plug, new condenser, cleaned carb and fuel tank, same old thing. They called kholer tech and they suggested some sort of module that replaces the points and it got worse. Now they are saying ignition module with coil, (stator and coil kit), that is no longer available. I dound one on ebay and it was $240, a litte more than I Think I should pay for a 40+ year old tiller. So if anybody has any ideals as to what the engine trouble could be I would like to hear it.
well, i do have a lot of TB Horse exp. but with a B/S 8! u have put in some effort, so if it was mine, i would want to test it for fuel issues and also ignition. does not sound as if mechanical! since i run a B/S i don't look at K-youtbe carb vids. but i did do an 8 hp carb vid and it cured one prob i was having. also, 'they cleaned the carb' but who did it? an exp tech with Kohler exp? or the new guy, owner's son in HS sort of thing? once i went to the small engine shop. and got me a belt for my xmark... all wound up. when i got to ranch, the kid (HS, owner's son) had just given me the entire loop off the peg. there were 3 belts! i did return the other 2. he was surprized! i did a b/s 5 hp carb cleaning few yrs back, took 2 time. one port so small easy to over look. cleaned out, engine ran good again! had stopped on me! and had been giving me issues. so i finally said S it. and had to fuss with it. if i was to buy a used TB Horse... i would want it to be a PTO model for sure! 83-85ish or so. and a B/S engine. 8 hp elec start!

that electronic ignition should have had no effect, but only to run better!

Italian sweet frying peppers are coming on strong! This is a five gallon bucket full. We started with Jimmy Nardello but for the past five years we've been saving seeds and there are three other kinds of Italian sweet peppers in the crossed seed we save. Peppers cross easily. We are heading for a record harvest as about 20 times this amount are hanging on the plants. We try to wait until they are totally red as they are at their sweetest then.

View attachment 1098520
at the risk of :buttkick: how do u cook them?

Started harvesting the long day onions. Looks like a lot of 2 pounders in there and so far got one 3 pounder from the first row.
About reached my goal of 13 leaves per plant. High percentage were from 10 to 13 leaves and that is getting there.
nice! we bot a bag yesterday. lol... called Seasons Select. Sweet Onions 3#'s...

First Cherokee purple from the garden and I made me a baloney and mater sammich. If Id'a thunk, Id'a sliced a fresh crispy jalapeno to put on there.
View attachment 1098979

Never had an issue with my peppers but this year got holes in my ghost peppers near the stem. Nothing on my jalapenos or habaneros, just the ghost and reapers.
.zzzzxts.JPG
darker than mine! yum. had some other day, and last nite as a snack while i prepped up some burger sliders on the :barbecue:

P1010008.JPG
P1010010.JPG

First thing I would have done is probably clean the carb thoroughly back when it first started acting up. If that didn't fix it, I would have tested the spark to see how that looked. After that if it checked ok, I'd go ahead test the engine compression since you stated it has trouble starting. If compression was ok, I would look toward the valve lash specs. Valves out of spec will give starting issues and it doesn't take much to give you trouble.

Been awhile since I've been on here and see everyone is gettng some good garden results. These are beefmasters, not sure I like these that much as they have a large hard core, taste good. Tried some Cherokee Purple this year, can't seem to get them to ripen all the way before they split. They'll split with the top still green, otherwise they taste good too.

Kentucky Wonder string beans are prolific. The biggest problem I'm having this year is Japanese beetles. They have been way numerous and continuous this year than others. I can usually spray the bean tops once and they are gone. Spray the apple trees once and gone. Have sprayed 3 times this year and get other another brood within a week. They have shredded a couple cherry trees.

Plus, have never seen them on sweet corn before but they started cutting the silks off, hit them with Seven once which I've never had to do before.

View attachment 1099676View attachment 1099677View attachment 1099678
thanks for the post! those Beefs look swell.

tomato time is slowing down here. :blob2: had to resort to some add'l exercise to fend off the effects of the xtra mayo... on tomato salads, slices and sams...
P1010005.JPG
P1010001.JPG
P1010005.JPG

Latest posts

Back