2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1684688795794.jpg

Evenin’ folks!
Picked up some soil for the new greenhouse this evening, where we are new to the growing, it’s our first time getting stuff for it so was wondering how seafood compost and composted sheep manure was in the mix for our veggies and stuff? And is it good used together? Any help appreciated!!

View attachment 1084211
Sheep **** is top shelf as far as garden soil is concerned, but make sure it's well broken down.

Sheep **** is top shelf as far as garden soil is concerned, but make sure it's well broken down.
My dad also had sheep. He sold them and a few years later used the composted manure on raspberries he planted. Them things were as big as the end of your thumb.

Here's some pics of the base of the apple tree. I'll have to look into the variety more. Sounds like it's not cortland, no other trees around. And it's not Macintosh.

20230522_173329.jpg

20230522_173335.jpg

This is the largest trunk. I think about 24" diameter.

20230522_173427.jpg

The rot I'm most concerned about is that hole in the trunk on the left in the 1st and 2nd pics. It's been hollowed out by critters to be about 12" deep. Any suggestions on what to do there? I know my grandfather filled a hole like this one time with mortar mix, I was thinking about trying that again.

Attachments

• 20230522_173341.jpg
    20230522_173341.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 0
Here's some pics of the base of the apple tree. I'll have to look into the variety more. Sounds like it's not cortland, no other trees around. And it's not Macintosh.

View attachment 1084567

View attachment 1084568

This is the largest trunk. I think about 24" diameter.

View attachment 1084569

The rot I'm most concerned about is that hole in the trunk on the left in the 1st and 2nd pics. It's been hollowed out by critters to be about 12" deep. Any suggestions on what to do there? I know my grandfather filled a hole like this one time with mortar mix, I was thinking about trying that again.
Man that tree is a healthy monster. I dont think you or I will be here when that tree dies off from that hole. I've seen mortar used on Pecan trees with success that was done 50 years ago. I wonder if there is something simpler now adays. First thing I thought of was expanding foam. Clean the hole best you can, fill it up and shape the top so water will run off.

Maybe some tree surgeons will suggest better.

put sealer on waterproof material and screw it over the hole,--keeps water and vermin out.
The onions are starting to bulb here. The small garden has carrots, beets, parsnips, dill, and 1 row of potatoes in it so far, ----might be all that gets planted it it this year.

Attachments

• DSCN1661.JPG
    DSCN1661.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1660.JPG
    DSCN1660.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1659.JPG
    DSCN1659.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Almost done with the asparagus bed. Did I say how much I hate to dig? Wish I had a tractor with a bucket. Made two 18' rows with a front tine tiller and took out two lifts of dirt. I'll let it dry out a little tomorrow and remove the rest. Ran into some clay (bottom layer). Some say to amend the soil with sand? Good idea? I'm already planning on 50/50 mix of top soil/compost. I have access to a ton of wood chips that are a year or so old. Is that still too new to use as compost? If it is I'll have to DIG (like mining... good stuff is buried) into a different area of the pile and fill 10 or so 5 gallon buckets. a lot more work.

IMG_1818.JPG

Next project is Sweet Potatoes. I started slips this year and transplanted them into 2"x2" peat pots. Setting on my porch for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of planting them in my tote raised beds I made for my strawberries that will be transplanted this Fall.

IMG_1819.JPG

They get filled with soil/compost.

Finished the trenches. Wouldn't include another pic of the trenches, but this is a better view. 8" to 10" deep.
IMG_1822.JPG

I had barrels of wood chips buried down in the tree line for years.
IMG_1825.JPG

Though it would be good compost. Dragged them out with my PU and found only one had usable compost in it. I'll start prepping the beds tomorrow and getting more compost, then plant on Sunday.

Hard frost Wed night. 27 oF below freezing 7 hours. My mother/grandparents said never put out tomatoes/peppers until memorial day.
We got lucky we had a night that was*30 but did not loose any tomato or pepper plants. Garden in 3weeks ago.
Evenin’ folks!
Picked up some soil for the new greenhouse this evening, where we are new to the growing, it’s our first time getting stuff for it so was wondering how seafood compost and composted sheep manure was in the mix for our veggies and stuff? And is it good used together? Any help appreciated!!
I use coast of Maine potting soil and it has Lobster compost in it. works well.

Well tomorrow I am going to plant butternut seedlings, last thing going in the garden. My MIL's husband was taking out rhubarb from his garden so I transplanted that. It is 30 years old at least could be more. It was wilted at first, not sure why but it is comming back.
My poor wife had critters diggin up her impatient plants from her planter so we put irish spring in there and they left it alone

Any spare rain out there, send some my way. It's so dry here even the camels can't fart.
Same here. No rain for at least 10 more days if the weather guessers are right. That will put us at around 25 days straight with no rain.

Afternoon folks!
Got a shelf of racks up in the greenhouse today! We’re ready to move some plants into her now! We just had what we hope to be the last of our cold mornings so full swing ahead for growing season now!!
Gonna make a few raised beds, just on the ground I think, they’ll be in each corner on each side of the door as you enter, should be enough room for a family’s worth or fresh goodies!
6E43BC0B-8236-4C69-8994-5BA2D607E2BD.jpeg

I'm very jealous right now of you guys with your lush green gardens. It's really dry here. We only had 0.6" of rain in the last 5 weeks and this is day 7 of 85+ degree heat. Things looked OK here until the last few days, then they starting going downhill fast, including my strawberry patch. I got the water wagon setup and running. hopefully I can save them. A week ago I thought we were headed for our best berry crop yet. :(

20230531_201540[1].jpg

20230531_201551[1].jpg

I still have half of the garden to plant yet. Normally I would have had it all done by now but I didn't want to set out transplants in this heat. I'm hoping to get them in the ground this week as it's at least supposed to cool off. No rain in the 14 day forecast though so it looks like I'm going to be hauling lots of water.

Back