2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted the garden today. I had planted beans a week ago but nothing sprouted so I planted a new batch. Today I planted Brussel sprouts, purple Cherokee tomatoes, Brandy wine and some frying peppers my wife found, can't remember what they are called. I had planted seed potato last week only 4 lbs, 2 rows. I also planted another rhubarb plant , the other one we planted last year came back great but some bug is eating the leaves. I sprayed it down with neem oil.
Speaking of neem oil I was introduced to it as a better spray for Colorado potato beetles rather then harsher stuff. I got a big bottle that needs to be mixed with water. I did not see it in any box store or nursery I as at this year. Is it another banned spray?

I'm thinking Jersey Giant or Jersey Knight. Plants spread that much? Grow out from the sides of the crowns?
Farmer Steve would know. and in The Joy of Gardening D Raymond does an in-depth how-to to do asparagus.
1684072210126.png

I ordered 20 Jersey Knight crowns last night. When I first started to look, they had both kinds in stock, but when I went to order, only the one. Might get a 10 pk of the Giants next year to see the difference.

Got well-needed rain yesterday, so it's too wet to excavate my trench. I need to get more compost, which I get from the tree guy in 5 gal buckets.

Some vendors recommend 12" spacing, others 18". Does it matter? I was planning on 12" if it doesn't.

Planted the garden today. I had planted beans a week ago but nothing sprouted so I planted a new batch. Today I planted Brussel sprouts, purple Cherokee tomatoes, Brandy wine and some frying peppers my wife found, can't remember what they are called. I had planted seed potato last week only 4 lbs, 2 rows. I also planted another rhubarb plant , the other one we planted last year came back great but some bug is eating the leaves. I sprayed it down with neem oil.
Speaking of neem oil I was introduced to it as a better spray for Colorado potato beetles rather then harsher stuff. I got a big bottle that needs to be mixed with water. I did not see it in any box store or nursery I as at this year. Is it another banned spray?
My experience with neem oil by itself is it isnt very good for tater bugs. I find Spinosad to be much better and a mix of neem and spinosad to be killer for the beetle.

Yeah you don't have to fight the rear tines so much. Of course you pay the cost when it's time to turn them around in a tight space!

That is quite the pasture behind your garden. Is that something you have to mow?

Nope, that's actually the neighbor's winter barley crop. He will likely harvest that the first part of July and then plant sorghum as a forage crop to harvest in the fall.

That's one nice thing about where I live. Wide open farm fields all around. It makes for some windy days at times but the views can't be beat, especially the sunsets.

20201210_170315.jpg

Too late to plant Asparagus (crowns) in the MidWest? It's dry enough to work the new ground in my garden that was the reclaimed strawberry patch.

I was going to have two 10 foot rows in approximately a 8' x 10' bed to allow for row spacing. I've got an attachment on my FRONT tine tiller that lets me dig deep. I'd then excavate it down to around 10" and make my mounds with dirt/compost. Would you add sand? Do rows really need to be 3' apart? Can you get by with just 2' apart?

James, This has good references for most every garden vegetable. ~300 pages. New England Vegetable Managment Guide, 2020-2021 ed., It's put out by UMass Coop ext., for New England, but we have a wide variety of Plant Zones.

Asparagus is covered in the guide. Has soil prep, nutrition, planting, harvest, diseases, insects....etc

Loose well drained soil that's weed free. Put rotted manure and/or compost in the trenches, also phosphorous as it like phosphorous (I use bone meal/char), and pH near neutral.

Attachments

• New England Vegetable Management Guide 2020-2021 Edition.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
I planted my transplants on the full moon of June 5. Zone 6b. (No more frosts expected. And if it did I could just cover them for a night or two. Raised beds.)
As the moon fades and the nights darken, the gravitational pull increases and draws moisture downward lending a hand in root growth. Then, in a few weeks, as the moon begins to wax again, the increase in light will encourage leaf production. Hot peppers, okra, bush cukes, heirloom tomatoes and some better boys and super sweet 100's. I work so much I barely had time to put em in, but wish I had a coupe more beds for purple hull peas, potatoes and onions.

Evenin folks!
New to this particular forum, seen it and figured I might be able to pick up a few tips and have somewhere to ask questions if I run into anything!
New to the gardening and this will be our first year with the greenhouse! Which I finally got all fully wrapped and enclosed in plastic! Just have to build a door tomorrow!
I did work all summer last year at a fully hydroponic lettuce greenhouse and picked up a little experience there!
So looking forward to seeing the fruits of our labour this summer! Still a few odd and ends on the inside and she’ll be good to grow!
11D52113-9989-44E6-AD34-0C1454B08817.jpeg
E13FE2C6-E490-4501-B0CA-E8554D28A5D6.jpeg

This is the lettuce greenhouse I worked for! Growing Up to 5-7000 head at a time, 2000+ out in the long troughs, and annother 3-5 in the nursery, and of 6-7 different varieties!
BDBBD0E2-DFBA-4DAA-AC17-C25A67256E23.jpeg
EC8C697F-4FAB-4661-83CA-D9302E932273.jpeg

I planted my transplants on the full moon of June 5. Zone 6b. (No more frosts expected. And if it did I could just cover them for a night or two. Raised beds.)
As the moon fades and the nights darken, the gravitational pull increases and draws moisture downward lending a hand in root growth. Then, in a few weeks, as the moon begins to wax again, the increase in light will encourage leaf production. Hot peppers, okra, bush cukes, heirloom tomatoes and some better boys and super sweet 100's. I work so much I barely had time to put em in, but wish I had a coupe more beds for purple hull peas, potatoes and onions.

Your time zone is about 3 weeks ahead of me?

Your time zone is about 3 weeks ahead of me?
I usually plant early and cover, or cool weather crops first and then more temperate plants later. I still had some collards that wintered nicely for me even with 5 days below zero in Dec. But this year I waited til May and went straight to okra tomatoes peppers and the like.

Latest posts

Back