2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very jealous! Won't have fresh peaches here for months.
hi jgj - nice garden!! tiller, too! will look fwd to seeing more of it. i got tomates on vine about as big as those peaches... 🤩

like those rolling green pastureland, too! đź‘Ť

thanks for the pix post up...

Got my first early fingerling potatoes planted last Saturday. Also have lettuce, spinach, and kale in the raised bed and the peas are just coming up.

View attachment 1081974

This was the first time I used my new rear tine tiller. Wow is it so much nicer than my old front tine machine!

View attachment 1081976
I have both a front and rear tine tillers. I use the front to bust up the ground first of the year and the rear tine for pulverizing the ground.

4 guys,1200 plants,2 hours, in the dirt. Laying drip lines in the morning.
20230511_173402.jpg

Got my first early fingerling potatoes planted last Saturday. Also have lettuce, spinach, and kale in the raised bed and the peas are just coming up.

This was the first time I used my new rear tine tiller. Wow is it so much nicer than my old front tine machine!
Yeah you don't have to fight the rear tines so much. Of course you pay the cost when it's time to turn them around in a tight space!

That is quite the pasture behind your garden. Is that something you have to mow?

Too late to plant Asparagus (crowns) in the MidWest? It's dry enough to work the new ground in my garden that was the reclaimed strawberry patch.

I was going to have two 10 foot rows in approximately a 8' x 10' bed to allow for row spacing. I've got an attachment on my FRONT tine tiller that lets me dig deep. I'd then excavate it down to around 10" and make my mounds with dirt/compost. Would you add sand? Do rows really need to be 3' apart? Can you get by with just 2' apart?

Too late to plant Asparagus (crowns) in the MidWest? It's dry enough to work the new ground in my garden that was the reclaimed strawberry patch.

I was going to have two 10 foot rows in approximately a 8' x 10' bed to allow for row spacing. I've got an attachment on my FRONT tine tiller that lets me dig deep. I'd then excavate it down to around 10" and make my mounds with dirt/compost. Would you add sand? Do rows really need to be 3' apart? Can you get by with just 2' apart?
Probably not to late to plant if you can get good Crowns. What variety? I'd go as wide as you can between rows. I have a single row that is almost 6' wide now. I'd only add sand if you have a heavy clay type soil. Lots of water once they break through the soil.

Probably not to late to plant if you can get good Crowns. What variety? I'd go as wide as you can between rows. I have a single row that is almost 6' wide now. I'd only add sand if you have a heavy clay type soil. Lots of water once they break through the soil.
I'm thinking Jersey Giant or Jersey Knight. Plants spread that much? Grow out from the sides of the crowns?

I'm thinking Jersey Giant or Jersey Knight. Plants spread that much? Grow out from the sides of the crowns?
Either one a good choice. Yes the crowns keep multiplying and radiate from the center and send up new shoots every year. They will need fertilizer 1 or twice every year. I usually give mine a dose after I'm done picking so the ferns grow and feed the roots for next year's spears.

Either one a good choice. Yes the crowns keep multiplying and radiate from the center and send up new shoots every year. They will need fertilizer 1 or twice every year. I usually give mine a dose after I'm done picking so the ferns grow and feed the roots for next year's spears.
Thanks, I generally use 12-12-12 because it's readily available around here. That'll work?

I had the tiller out, so I started to prep the bed. This is rock hard ground that I haven't tilled in 10 yrs? It was my original strawberry patch that became overgrown. Brother helped me clean it up this Winter. Full of those thorny saplings I call Hawthorne. Not sure.
I decided to have a single 20' row. Easier to dig for me. Tilled up a 6' x 20' area about tine deep (4" to 6" deep). I used singles at one time as a weed barrier (which failed) so I have to rake that all out. Then I can start trenching down the middle. As you can see in the 2nd pic, My new strawberry raised beds and the mess that regrew. Weed whip and weed killer will take care of that. Next on the list. Also the stumps of the saplings will get coated with stump killer and once dead, will be pulled out. Then just a mow every now and then to keep clean.
IMG_1805.JPGIMG_1806.JPG

Latest posts

Back