2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took a load to the food bank,----over 500 pounds of onions and over 300 pounds of summer squash. They were wondering if we were going to bring stuff this year! Last year we took in over 12,000 pounds of veggies during the year.

Attachments

• 20230706_122557.jpg
    20230706_122557.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_142432.jpg
    20230706_142432.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_122523.jpg
    20230706_122523.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_142427.jpg
    20230706_142427.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks!

I was just thinking of starting some brussel sprout seedlings. I start collards each spring and they often live up until January or Feb and am hoping to do the same with brussel sprouts, except starting later. In the summer brussel sprouts get buggy around here and the heat is hard on them just at the time that harvest should be beginning. As you probably know store bought brussel sprouts can be highly contaminated with pesticides.
in all the years of gardening, i have only seen 2 brussel plants down here with brussels. one small and one other day bit bigger. i have tried before, but get only tiny buds. never fully mature. an early start is important here. get the plant going, once high temps taper off and then have it setting the buds in cooler weather. we got some other day at store. $2.99/#. i got a handful... came to just under $1.40. make a nice side... hot or cooked cold from refer suit me just fine. i confess to taking a couple of the first plant's i saw some yrs ago. fresh, they tasted quite dif than store bot. frozen is ok, too. imo.

these seeds produced nice sized brussels for here. plan to start earlier than they did. give it a try. 🤞

brussel sprout seeds 2023
P1010001.JPG

Dang! I went and did it. I just planted two peach trees this Spring and I was out weed whipping today. You guessed it. I hit the stake and the line caught and hit the trunk of the sapling. scoured the bark half way around.

I don't guess there's anything that can be done? Wrap it in something or use pruning dope?
that is what i would do. extra water, too and some fertz. stimulate the cambium.

took a load to the food bank,----over 500 pounds of onions and over 300 pounds of summer squash. They were wondering if we were going to bring stuff this year! Last year we took in over 12,000 pounds of veggies during the year.
hardly what we produce from our down-scaled home garden. :) but i did stroll thru it a bit yesterday... some pix from the smaller side of gardening...
P1010007.JPG

P1010006.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010012.JPGP1010013.JPGP1010014.JPG
still plenty tomatoes. not sure if we will get 300 🤩 but who's counting? those 3 that look green had tinge of orange topside. mr Leek still doing well. cukes still producing, but ending soon. lots of green tomatoes and flowers, too. nites getting warm for setting...

we do have close to 500 #s of mayo, though! :lol: at store other day we had to have 5 items for store discount's $ savings. had 4, but decided on another BIG jar of Hellman's. prob last us into next century. 😋 reg price close to $6 and with discounts, aps and 5-fer... about $2 each! workx for me.... with tomato sams on the daily menu... the mayo goes fast.

tomato sliders
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG

hardly what we produce from our down-scaled home garden. :) but i did stroll thru it a bit yesterday... some pix from the smaller side of gardening...
View attachment 1095437
View attachment 1095436View attachment 1095438View attachment 1095439View attachment 1095440View attachment 1095441View attachment 1095442View attachment 1095443View attachment 1095444
still plenty tomatoes. not sure if we will get 300 🤩 but who's counting? those 3 that look green had tinge of orange topside. mr Leek still doing well. cukes still producing, but ending soon. lots of green tomatoes and flowers, too. nites getting warm for setting...
I still have 5 plants to plant. Grew too many seedlings for my needs. I'll rough them in today instead of throwing them away.

Dang! I went and did it. I just planted two peach trees this Spring and I was out weed whipping today. You guessed it. I hit the stake and the line caught and hit the trunk of the sapling. scoured the bark half way around.

I don't guess there's anything that can be done? Wrap it in something or use pruning dope?
we planted 2 few yrs back. 3 i guess it was. one produced first year. this year we had so many peaches had to make jam. other is still free-loading... has yet to even flower... thinking of replacing it...

don't 2 fruit trees make an orchard? lol ;)
🤩
:givebeer:

canned peach jam...2023
P1010016.JPG

we do have close to 500 #s of mayo, though! :lol: at store other day we had to have 5 items for store discount's $ savings. had 4, but decided on another BIG jar of Hellman's. prob last us into next century. 😋 reg price close to $6 and with discounts, aps and 5-fer... about $2 each! workx for me.... with tomato sams on the daily menu... the mayo goes fast.

tomato sliders
View attachment 1095445View attachment 1095446View attachment 1095447View attachment 1095448
Yum! With a little fried bacon :laugh: .

Yum! With a little fried bacon :laugh: .
that would be a BLT for me. i am a traditionalist when it comes to tomato sams. bread, home grown toms and plenty xtra mayo, too! 😋

i decided to get some Boston bib at grocery other day. bit smaller and more $ than iceberg... but a more delicate flavor and texture. $2.50. i can't grow it that fast or big. but i can grow it down here. it does ok in fall/spring garden. but never as big as that in store. too warm.
1688743905117.png

we planted 2 few yrs back. 3 i guess it was. one produced first year. this year we has so many had to make jam. other is still free-loading... has yet to even flower... thinking of replacing it...

🤩
My current tree is real old and splitting apart. The peaches that it does produce are being eaten now by the squirrels while still being quite green. No way that I know of stopping them short of lead posioning. Too dangerous for my area. The tree just got too big. I'll try to keep the new ones pruned so they don't get so tall and I can cover them with heavy netting I have.
Mentioning my weed whipping accident, my Brother years ago had weed whipped around one of my peach trees and had ripped the bark off all the way around. Killed it eventually. He thought he was helping me. I don't let him weed whip around my trees/plants any more. Then I go and do the same thing!

Any chemical detorants for squirrels?

My current tree is real old and splitting apart. The peaches that it does produce are being eaten now by the squirrels while still being quite green. No way that I know of stopping them short of lead posioning. Too dangerous for my area. The tree just got too big. I'll try to keep the new ones pruned so they don't get so tall and I can cover them with heavy netting I have.
Mentioning my weed whipping accident, my Brother years ago had weed whipped around one of my peach trees and had ripped the bark off all the way around. Killed it eventually. He thought he was helping me. I don't let him weed whip around my trees/plants any more. Then I go and do the same thing!

Any chemical detorants for squirrels?
none i know of, other than a .177! that was our problem, too... squirrels and birds first couple yrs of peaches. i had all but given up. but this year, for some reason they left them alone. and the tree really produced, too. we just let them fall to the ground. figured once it dropped a peach, the peach was ripe enuff! lol.... so daily we picked them up. pain to prep. i did not boil to remove skin. maybe nxt yr. but i came up with a speedy way to get them prepped. and i could do a bowl full in 15 mins or so. the jam turned out more like peach apple sauce. recipe called for cinnamon. but seemed too much. so i decided to mix it with a store peach jam. besides, i wanted more chunks. and it was an over the top winner. best peach jam i have ever tasted! sometimes ya just get lucky! and i have some frozen bits n pcs, too. so plan is for a peach cobbler. would be a good rainy afternoon project... 🤩

1688744701161.png

This reply is probably late but I would wrap the wound in plastic wrap than aluminum foil or brown bag etc. to keep the sap from drying out if its deep enough. As long as you didn't go deeper than the cambium breaking the sap wood it shouldn't be an issue. Half way around the trunck wounds are done in order to encourage fruiting in some trees/vines. So its not a death sentence.

I'm going to wound some peach tree rootstocks pretty soon to chip bud them into a white peach tree I have that's trying to slip away. It's over 25 years old so I guess its tired.

This reply is probably late but I would wrap the wound in plastic wrap than aluminum foil or brown bag etc. to keep the sap from drying out if its deep enough. As long as you didn't go deeper than the cambium breaking the sap wood it shouldn't be an issue. Half way around the trunck wounds are done in order to encourage fruiting in some trees/vines. So its not a death sentence.

I'm going to wound some peach tree rootstocks pretty soon to chip bud them into a white peach tree I have that's trying to slip away. It's over 25 years old so I guess its tired.
The next morning (today), I lathered it up with an old tube of triple antibiotic ointment and wrapped it with a non-stick gauze bandage. It works for humans right so why not trees :laugh: ? I did a quick search and a petroleum based treatment so that's what I did. In lieu of something else, it couldn't hurt.

It's a three foot tall sapling and I broke the paper thin top layer and nothing else. Don't know parts of a tree so I just assumed it was bad. It had already started to curl back.

we planted 2 few yrs back. 3 i guess it was. one produced first year. this year we had so many peaches had to make jam. other is still free-loading... has yet to even flower... thinking of replacing it...

🤩

canned peach jam...2023
View attachment 1095449

If you guys are into canning, give peach butter a try. I like it a lot more than peach jam. It has more peach flavour and less of a sugary feel.

I've started using several soaker hoses in my garden this year and next I'm going to get 1 or 2 totes for rain barrels. I was going to get a 1/10 HP pump from HF, but I can get a a 1/2 HP pump off ebay for the same price. Those of you using pumps, how do you control flow/pressure? 1/2 HP too big?

that would be a BLT for me. i am a traditionalist when it comes to tomato sams. bread, home grown toms and plenty xtra mayo, too! 😋

i decided to get some Boston bib at grocery other day. bit smaller and more $ than iceberg... but a more delicate flavor and texture. $2.50. i can't grow it that fast or big. but i can grow it down here. it does ok in fall/spring garden. but never as big as that in store. too warm.
View attachment 1095450
had some on burgers last nite. and garden fresh tomatoes. meal was over the top! :numberone: made ranch fries, too

P1010018.JPG
P1010017.JPG

Back