2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best I've had in years. 4 more plants just like it in front of this one. In between the cukes and greens.
View attachment 1096721
i like to pick mine at 2" or so. and then pan fry in bacon grease whole. ends trimmed. s&p to season. butter, too. tasty! đź‘Ť

Started freeze drying some of the onions. Takes 48 hours to do a batch of 25 pounds wet weight stuff. Makes 10 quart bags of dry fluffy stuff when done. A couple of the bags in the pic.
Next run will be an experimental mix of fully cooked green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet corn, beets, turnips, cooked fried squash then top off what ever space is left with squash or onions.
IF it does o.k. we will do more.

Attachments

• 20230711_155643.jpg
    20230711_155643.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_155714.jpg
    20230711_155714.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230712_191647.jpg
    20230712_191647.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 0
Started freeze drying some of the onions. Takes 48 hours to do a batch of 25 pounds wet weight stuff. Makes 10 quart bags of dry fluffy stuff when done. A couple of the bags in the pic.
Next run will be an experimental mix of fully cooked green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet corn, beets, turnips, cooked fried squash then top off what ever space is left with squash or onions.
IF it does o.k. we will do more.
How do you freeze dry them?

Big disappointment today. I decided to plant some Georgia candi squash. Took the weedeater and cut all the weeds down and then fired up the tiller to make a few hills. I was making the hills and the wife was planting the squash seeds. She yells at me to stop digging. It seems the seed packet only contained 8 seeds. We put two seeds in each hill. If they all come up, it will probably be enough squash for a few pies, but I plan on having a talk with my seed supplier. Tomorrow we plan to buy some beet seeds to fill in the rest of the bed.

Big disappointment today. I decided to plant some Georgia candi squash. Took the weedeater and cut all the weeds down and then fired up the tiller to make a few hills. I was making the hills and the wife was planting the squash seeds. She yells at me to stop digging. It seems the seed packet only contained 8 seeds. We put two seeds in each hill. If they all come up, it will probably be enough squash for a few pies, but I plan on having a talk with my seed supplier. Tomorrow we plan to buy some beet seeds to fill in the rest of the bed.
i like this seed co.

https://www.willhiteseed.com/

View attachment 1097292
Sometimes the clukes are elusive and get big and yellow and bitter. Chickens still like them yellow.
last year we had some bitter cukes! method of growing, pruning one site said. but i am not convinced. this year, same kind, straight 8s... and still producing delicious cukes. prob best i have ever tasted! just crunchy and nice...

We are getting more rain then we need, 3-5" today alone with more tonight. My Brussel sprout plants are all leaning over and the potato plants look like heck. I spray for bugs but it gets washed off and the soil may be to wet for them. Last of the sugar peas last night but at least we got some.
One year ago we had a drought, go figure.

My current tree is real old and splitting apart. The peaches that it does produce are being eaten now by the squirrels while still being quite green. No way that I know of stopping them short of lead posioning. Too dangerous for my area. The tree just got too big. I'll try to keep the new ones pruned so they don't get so tall and I can cover them with heavy netting I have.......
Recent rain storm broke off the main branch with most of the peaches.
IMG_1973.JPG

North Georgia Candi Roasters are pretty rare seeds. Mostly grown in Georgia, Tenn and NC. Not saying they wont grow in other places. The problem with finding seed has more to do with the people growing them. They can cross pollinate with squash and cukes from a mile away and you dont always get good seed. If you plan on growing anykind of squash, pumkins or cukes in your graden along with the candi roaster, dont bother saving the seed as it wont come back true.
https://marylandgrows.umd.edu/2017/11/17/north-georgia-candy-roaster-a-winter-squash-to-remember/

North Georgia Candi Roasters are pretty rare seeds. Mostly grown in Georgia, Tenn and NC. Not saying they wont grow in other places. The problem with finding seed has more to do with the people growing them. They can cross pollinate with squash and cukes from a mile away and you dont always get good seed. If you plan on growing anykind of squash, pumkins or cukes in your graden along with the candi roaster, dont bother saving the seed as it wont come back true.
https://marylandgrows.umd.edu/2017/11/17/north-georgia-candy-roaster-a-winter-squash-to-remember/
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetab...a-candy-roaster-hubbard-squash-seed-3912.html

Back