2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can just have ate something, look thru this thread and suddenly I'm hungry again.
lol, me, too! as i was looking for the tomato jpg... i passed over the one on the burger sliders we had last nite with garden tomatoes, too! and i started salivating... as in got hungry! 😋

this'll more than do it for me....
P1010007.JPG
P1010006.JPG

at the risk of :buttkick: how do u cook them?

We fry them on the stove with onions and avocado oil. We freeze a lot of them and cook the same way. Of course we eat a large number of them raw while they are on. Totally deep red is when they are at their peak flavor. Our mixed seed still hasn't stabilized yet and it's been at least 5 years of saving seed. You can see the various shapes and sizes of the peppers. We save seed from the pepper plants that grow well and produce the larger peppers. Jimmy Nardello is the smaller carrot shaped pepper and is known to be one of the best and sweetest of the Italian pepper family. We are hoping to get that sweetness into the larger peppers as they take way less preparation time. We will save seed from the 5 we like best. If you would like some seed just say so.

Peppers 7-25-23 009.JPG

Peppers 7-25-23 008.JPG

Peppers 7-25-23 006.JPG

Peppers 7-25-23 005.JPG

Peppers 7-25-23 004.JPG

Peppers 7-25-23 002.JPG

or the new guy, owner's son in HS sort of thing?
kid is young, but he is a damn good small engine mechanic. Learnt it from his daddy and he could take almost nothing and make it run better than new.

First thing I would have done is probably clean the carb thoroughly back when it first started acting up. If that didn't fix it, I would have tested the spark to see how that looked. After that if it checked ok, I'd go ahead test the engine compression since you stated it has trouble starting. If compression was ok, I would look toward the valve lash specs. Valves out of spec will give starting issues and it doesn't take much to give you trouble.
I have owned this tiller for probably 10 years, it has always acted up. Carb has been apart a dozen times at least, but like you I still think it might be one of the issue. Only thing is, the spark comes and goes. I havent compression checked it, but it takes some grunt to pull the rope, Valve lash I hadnt considered, probably worth checking. Anyways, I told him to roll it to the back of the shop until he has more time to work on it, and I ordered a new $20 coil so when it gets here, we can drag it back into the shop and see what we can figure out.

We fry them on the stove with onions and avocado oil. We freeze a lot of them and cook the same way. Of course we eat a large number of them raw while they are on. Totally deep red is when they are at their peak flavor. Our mixed seed still hasn't stabilized yet and it's been at least 5 years of saving seed. You can see the various shapes and sizes of the peppers. We save seed from the pepper plants that grow well and produce the larger peppers. Jimmy Nardello is the smaller carrot shaped pepper and is known to be one of the best and sweetest of the Italian pepper family. We are hoping to get that sweetness into the larger peppers as they take way less preparation time. We will save seed from the 5 we like best. If you would like some seed just say so.

View attachment 1099998

View attachment 1099999

View attachment 1100000

View attachment 1100001

View attachment 1100002

View attachment 1100003
thanks for the info, pix and offer. :) appreciated. they do look good fried and cooked!
1690310203879.png

kid is young, but he is a damn good small engine mechanic. Learnt it from his daddy and he could take almost nothing and make it run better than new.

I have owned this tiller for probably 10 years, it has always acted up. Carb has been apart a dozen times at least, but like you I still think it might be one of the issue. Only thing is, the spark comes and goes. I havent compression checked it, but it takes some grunt to pull the rope, Valve lash I hadnt considered, probably worth checking. Anyways, I told him to roll it to the back of the shop until he has more time to work on it, and I ordered a new $20 coil so when it gets here, we can drag it back into the shop and see what we can figure out.
hope u solve it. yours has a prob and millions like it don't! wonder what it could or will be?

I can't seem to grow potatoes. Only get golf ball sized ones. And I can relate to needing another freezer also.
We’re still new at this. Mostly experimenting… I built a small greenhouse toward the end of last winter so my wife played with growing all sorts of starters. Most did well but some died after planting. The rest we bought in starter form :p
tomatoes seem to be the best, crop wise. Carrots did ok but we pulled them too early. Celery was barely edible. Peppers not doing as well as they did last year. Corn looks good so far. Zucchini served this year. Strawberries, string beans all good again. Cucumbers not doing as well as last year, numbers wise. Radishes, meh, beets, meh…Broccoli and Cauliflower did ok, cabbage…3 usable heads. Onions are doing well, garlic still too early to pull.
we have about 200sqft of garden space on two levels.
it is pretty cool to pull stuff out of the garden for dinner.

I
hope u solve it. yours has a prob and millions like it don't! wonder what it could or will be?
Wish I knew. I always thought it was carb related. The fuel tank is plastic and everytime it would quit running, the carb bowl was always full of black crap. I couldnt take the tank off for cleaning because the thread insert in the tank was stripped and I couldnt get the screw out. Cant buy a new tank either. I blew it out best I could, flushed it with clean gas, blew it out again, installed new fuel line and a large inline filter to catch the crap. I am giving it one last chance and then I'm headed to harbor freight for a new engine. 8hp Predator is $269. I would rather pay that than the $242 dollars for the stator coil kit. I do think if the new coil I ordered dont fix it, I might go ahead and try one of those $17 china carbs. On another note, I have another horse tiller without a engine, (non pto), and I have a new 6hp predator engine, I can put on it. I converted it to a tater digger a few years back, but it wasnt heavy enough to pull the digger so its stripped of parts and just setting in my shed. I have all the parts to turn it back into a tiller.

View attachment 1100059
So far this year we’ve canned 24 pints and 7 quarts. Been a good tomato year compared to last year. We only had 6 tomatoes last year.
Blanch and peel, then blender? Immerse jars completely in boiling water for 10? minutes or pressure canner??

Mine haven't come in yet, but I have two or three times more plants than last year and no freezer space.

Blanch and peel, then blender? Immerse jars completely in boiling water for 10? minutes or pressure canner??

Mine haven't come in yet, but I have two or three times more plants than last year and no freezer space.
Blanch and peel and stuff into jars, squishing the juice out some. Not puréed, like them whole for stews or making marinara sauce. I just follow what the wife says, the book tells her boil 40 minutes in a regular canner. We have a pressure canner but she don’t use it. I dunno why not.

I

Wish I knew. I always thought it was carb related. The fuel tank is plastic and everytime it would quit running, the carb bowl was always full of black crap. I couldnt take the tank off for cleaning because the thread insert in the tank was stripped and I couldnt get the screw out. Cant buy a new tank either. I blew it out best I could, flushed it with clean gas, blew it out again, installed new fuel line and a large inline filter to catch the crap. I am giving it one last chance and then I'm headed to harbor freight for a new engine. 8hp Predator is $269. I would rather pay that than the $242 dollars for the stator coil kit. I do think if the new coil I ordered dont fix it, I might go ahead and try one of those $17 china carbs. On another note, I have another horse tiller without a engine, (non pto), and I have a new 6hp predator engine, I can put on it. I converted it to a tater digger a few years back, but it wasnt heavy enough to pull the digger so its stripped of parts and just setting in my shed. I have all the parts to turn it back into a tiller.
I was gonna suggest a predator motor instead of the expensive coil deal. My troy built horse tiller has the Tecumseh motor on it and its run very well for the last 4 years pretty much trouble free. I do have to clean the carb bowl on occasion but OTW no issues. This year I believe I lost a keeper on a valve so I had a spare briggs that I swapped out till I can open up the original Tecumseh motor. I dont know about your area but I see running 5hp briggs motors on craigslist all the time for 50 to 75 dollars, maybe that's a cheaper alternative.

Be nice to figure out yr problem as I'm sure that Kohler is a great motor.
Tom

I

There is a facebook troy bilt site and those guys are saying the 6.5 hp Predator performs as well as the Briggs 8 hp IC. There may need to be a new bolt to hold the reverse disc and maybe a spacing washer for mounting the pulleys. They talk about it all the time and are getting the engines for under $150. There is also a new Predator 6.5 hp that has a bit more torque I believe. I'm not embarrassed to say that I own 5 troy bilt horses.

them new luni motors are a joke!!!!!!! WAY too light to do any average tillin, not even any good for cultivating! Original 7 Kohler weighs around 84 pounds,---new luni's weigh 42 pounds,---well there went your traction and balance, you are now tail heavy and gotta actually push the damn tiller!! better off with a high wheel push cultivator to start with! Got 6 or so here I bought or was given to me with new luni motors on them and I did finally find some original cast iron motors to rebuild and put on a couple of them. Still looking for Kohler 7's or M-8's to rebuild and put on the rest of them.

Blanch and peel, then blender?
We used to make our mater juice that way. Several years ago I bought a Jack LaLane Juicer, Game changer. We just wash and cut the maters into quarters and run them thru the juicer. The juicer removes all the seeds and runs the pulp out the back. I then rerun all the pulp a second and third time and we end up with a fairly thick juice. Add a little salt, cook and then place in jars and waterbath canner. I can juice a 30lb box of maters in about 15 or 20 min and a box will make about 11 quarts.

them new luni motors are a joke!!!!!!!
I have never even heard of a Luni Motor, dont know what that is.
Dont see any of those high wheel tillers either, I seen one back when my dad was still alive, that was over 24 years ago. Dad bought it without a engine and never did get around to fixing it up. I think its still down in the woods and probably been ran over with a D8 a time or two. I did buy a high wheel push cultivator this year and I can say for fact, it aint the same quality as the old ones I grew up with. My dads rigged up a harness to his old one. He would put me and my brother in the harness and have us pull it thru the field, the whole time going Gee and Haw.

Back