2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My few pepper plants are still producing, too. My green beans are going strong also. I picked 3 gallons a week ago Sunday.
View attachment 1120461
And picked almost another 3 gallons today.
View attachment 1120462
No pressure canner yet so everything except a few meals gets frozen. There will be another picking half as much in another week. Will a frost hurt beans?
Even if the frost gets them, it's not a total loss. If they're an heirloom variety you can let some dry out on the vine and save them for next year's seed.

20231018_171327.jpg
20231018_171312.jpg

Even if the frost gets them, it's not a total loss. If they're an heirloom variety you can let some dry out on the vine and save them for next year's seed.

View attachment 1120743View attachment 1120744
with the 69-cent and 99-cent seed packs now pushing $4.95 etc ea... we save as much as we can.
bluebonnets
beans
sugar snaps

english peas? no, got too many saved! lol

okras, too

with the 69-cent and 99-cent seed packs now pushing $4.95 etc ea... we save as much as we can.
bluebonnets
beans
sugar snaps

english peas? no, got too many saved! lol

okras, too
I get tired of paying that price for seeds and ending up with junk that doesn't even resemble what it's supposed to be. We grow several varieties of tomatoes every year, and it seems like we end up with one variety or another every year that's a bust. It requires more time and more space but I'm moving towards saving everything I can and buying nothing from the seed companies.

been baby sitting my sugar snaps. gave them an early start. bed not ready, so potted them past few days they have been ready. finally got them into ground. beautiful starts! many with plant-roots now 6-8", few over 12'!! counted 85 or so of them, but once planted had 95. of which 4 held in small pot as backups. one never knows... i kept them well hydrated once transferred to larger pot of compost. then into a bucket as ran out of time. they flourished as if in a tropical jungle. just kept growing... but finally started yelling! " Let us out!!"

P1010001.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG

i am anticipating 100% success in the transplanting. those few that did not germinate culled. i saved my own seeds and got about a 99.4% germination. unlike my brussels seeds that is running a maybe 40%!

this is now my english pea patch. 3 rows. 5 towers now. one row planted. close to 200 pea seeds in that row. will plant 2nd row once first row has peas popping up. well, that is the plan.
P1010017.JPG

still some detail work to do. but our home garden area has now been transformed from looking bit like an overgrown abandoned-like city lot... full or weeds - to a working home garden. got rest of my limas in today along with all the sugar snaps. i best be keeping an eye on the limas... already got some pods over 3" long! :surprised3:

no Fall tomatoes. yet. maybe. QB said mite be a profit center, each tomato costing close to or about $1.00 each now. so much for the 10-cent tomatoes we used to buy...

P1010021.JPG

i like to mulch with my mowing cuttings. set TB mower with bagger. i get about 50% in bag, rest mulched. mowed back yard and got about 6 gallons of the cutting mix. will put around the sugar snaps clusters and lightly on top of the ones i set today. they will push on thru. keep rain's mud drops off them... many were curved 90-degrees when planted. by time i went in most had risen about 45* up... i am not 29 any more - lol - and each one was carefully hand planted as i bent over. hope my back is happy in the morning.... 🤩

Well it's that time of year here when we put the garden to bed. We had our first frost, -2⁰ this week, and they are calling for snow next week so I took advantage of a rare sunny day and got the garden ready for next year.

Garlic planted and covered with straw.

20231024_144234.jpg

I got everything tilled up too. I didn't get this done last year so very happy to get it done this year. And the new rear tine tiller is so much nicer to run than the old front tine machine!

20231024_144225.jpg

20231024_144206.jpg

I'm going to leave my Brussels sprouts experiment and see what they do. Looking good so far.

20231024_144332.jpg

been baby sitting my sugar snaps. gave them an early start. bed not ready, so potted them past few days they have been ready. finally got them into ground. beautiful starts! many with plant-roots now 6-8", few over 12'!! counted 85 or so of them, but once planted had 95. of which 4 held in small pot as backups. one never knows... i kept them well hydrated once transferred to larger pot of compost. then into a bucket as ran out of time. they flourished as if in a tropical jungle. just kept growing... but finally started yelling! " Let us out!!"

i am anticipating 100% success in the transplanting. those few that did not germinate culled. i saved my own seeds and got about a 99.4% germination. unlike my brussels seeds that is running a maybe 40%!

I've never known anyone to transplant peas before. I'm assuming it's because of your climate?

I've never known anyone to transplant peas before. I'm assuming it's because of your climate?
not a climate issue directly. but this year, i guess maybe... indirectly. i normally plant my peas (3 varieties this season) seeds in soil. but this summer's heat bit offensive lol and so got behind with some garden chores. and put the seeds in pots to get a leg up on them, time-wise. limas, too. finally caught up, once cooler temps arrived and so...

i did find it interesting to see so many pea seeds doing their pea thing up close...

Nothing going on here. I picked all my cayanne and put it the dehydrator. 11 trays. I also dug my second crop of the year of taters. A little disappointing. No real big taters, lots of golfballs.
Taters needed a little more growing time, but they are hollering for a freeze and I dont know how well taters in pots will survive the freeze. a lot of the chits didnt do anything, didnt even rot. I could have peeled them and fried in a pan. Next year, I will start a second crop a little earlier.

Has anybody here tried growing jerusalem articokes, or eaten them. I am thinking about planting a few in pots just to see if I might like them.

got the artichokes here growing wild!!!! cant stand the things! tried cooking and mashing them, cant peel the damn odd shaped roots at all. They get 12 feet tall and I guess you are s'posed to chop the sunflower heads off so they put energy into the roots and not waste it on flower heads,----dunno for sure!

got the artichokes here growing wild!!!! cant stand the things! tried cooking and mashing them, cant peel the damn odd shaped roots at all. They get 12 feet tall and I guess you are s'posed to chop the sunflower heads off so they put energy into the roots and not waste it on flower heads,----dunno for sure!
Not exactly a glowing review, but I had rather hear it now instead of after I have planted a large patch. I plan on trying to find some in the grocery store to try before I plant any. I also plan on planting, what ever amount I do plant, in pots. I hear they are very prolific when it comes to spreading. I can remember when growing up those giant sunflowers seemed to grow wild everywhere. I didnt know what they where until just a few days ago. I dont know any of the old timers that harvested or used the artichokes, which leads me to believe they are probably not that good. And believe me, my family grew up very poor and isolated, hell they still have to pump sunlite into where they lived. I have thought about it and I cant think of anyplace around here that I see them growing wild or other wise, even tho I know they are supposed to be native to this area. At any rate, I intend to give them a try and If I find I dont like them, I either wont plant any, or dig up the ones I have planted and ,donate them to the wildlife.

Back