2023 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ours is a small home garden. been on-going for many years. once was the entire backyard! now down scaled. my limas have done pretty good. learned a thing or two from them this season should i do more next. all the plants these pods n beans came from came from seeds i had saved over 20 yrs ago!

these were the first pods that filled out. not bad, imo. definitely nice lima beans!
P1010038.JPG
P1010037.JPG
P1010036.JPG

the plants are full of many pods. thinking another picking in about 10 days to 2 weeks or so. these, i will put in small pot of water, cook and put a dash s/p n some butter... they are a nice treat, garden fresh! ~

some okra and lima beans... garden fresh tomorrow w/dinner... 👍

found a couple of cilantro volunteer plants this afternoon. 3 also this volunteer tomato plant. had been wanting to get a couple fall tomatoes. got seeds, but din't grow any. so now i got one! i liked the price. days of 6/99-cents long gone! i relocated it to a new home spot. seems happy enuff... it will get a collar in the morning
P1010039.JPG
P1010040.JPG
P1010041 (2).JPG

Never could stand okra!! LOL! A lot of people like it! BUT not many people like parsnips either! personal pref. I guess. One year I grew a ton of okra here and gave it away. Takes a acre to get one little mess since you only get 2 small pods at the time from each plant!
LOVE your lima beans! They sure look good! We grow the baby limas here since they are bush variety. Used to grow the speckled pole kind and they were good too, just late maturing as most pole limas are.

Never could stand okra!! LOL! A lot of people like it! BUT not many people like parsnips either! personal pref. I guess. One year I grew a ton of okra here and gave it away. Takes a acre to get one little mess since you only get 2 small pods at the time from each plant!
LOVE your lima beans! They sure look good! We grow the baby limas here since they are bush variety. Used to grow the speckled pole kind and they were good too, just late maturing as most pole limas are.
I'm pretty sure I get 4-5 pods off each plant (near the same time). I'll have to make note next year.

I'm pretty sure I get 4-5 pods off each plant (near the same time). I'll have to make note next year.
Me too. I plant two 25ft long rows and pick every 2 or 3 days. Usually get a walmart bag full each picking. Thats enough for us to fry up a batch to eat and enough to put two or three freezer bags in the freezer. For the last few years I have grown nothing but the long pod variety. I have found pods as long as 6 ot 8 inches to still be tender. I have also liked the Star of David, but since my garden is small, I cant plant both varieties in the same area since I save my seed.

Me too. I plant two 25ft long rows and pick every 2 or 3 days. Usually get a walmart bag full each picking. Thats enough for us to fry up a batch to eat and enough to put two or three freezer bags in the freezer. For the last few years I have grown nothing but the long pod variety. I have found pods as long as 6 ot 8 inches to still be tender. I have also liked the Star of David, but since my garden is small, I cant plant both varieties in the same area since I save my seed.
I plant Clemson spineless and you have to pick them young or else they get tough. 4 or 5 inches max. What's the name of the long pod variety?

okra is a veg one can get tired of! lol, i mean how much New Orleans gumbo can one person eat! :rolleyes:

i like parsnips... a family tradtional cook: turnip, parsnip and rutabaga stew! very tasty!. includes beef and potatoes, also.

two pods per plant? not down here. prob is plant produces tons! especially in warm temps, sun and once it gets going! ~ i try to pick mine off at 2" or thereabouts... 2 1/2

the limas and okra were :numberone:. very tender, very tasty! i counted okra buds on my 7 plants this afternoon. from small, to flowers, to setting to growing. 39 in all! :blob2: i expect the numbers to go up fast! as a couple of the okra plants are now budding off the stems. i can remember 4 okras in the garden before and could not keep up with their production as to eating, etc... but first pickings of almost anything ripe is exceptional fare. no need to count the lima bean pods, there are just too many! and my peas are aggressively turning the pea patches area green... :)

dinner side last nite... okra, lima beans, onions, and bacon rolls... 👍
P1010003.JPG

pan fried and boiled P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPG

my okra grown from saved seeds. one thing is for sure, one pod can do a small garden quite respectively! i would say my seeds over 15 yrs old....

I plant Clemson spineless and you have to pick them young or else they get tough. 4 or 5 inches max. What's the name of the long pod variety?
I dont know what my okra is called. I got the seed from my uncle who had been growing and saving the seed for decades. I did a quick search and found two varieties that are called long pod. One is https://www.rareseeds.com/okra-louisiana-16-inch-long-pod, which I think is what I have, and the other ishttps://victoryseeds.com/products/perkins-long-pod-okra. I used to grow the clemson spineless, but My opinion is since I started growing the long pod, I will never grow clemson again. The Star of David,https://www.edenbrothers.com/produc...d)&utm_term=Vegetables&utm_content=Vegetables It is another good tasting okra. It grows short and fat. Only thing is you cant plant either variety close to each other as they will cross and not stay true.

So, who’s still growing things in their greenhouse?
we have a bunch of hot peppers, dug up and transferred to pots and some lettuce and spinach starters so far.View attachment 1128233

Is your greenhouse heated? I've had an itch lately to setup a greenhouse but like sonny580 I live in a windy area so I don't think a plastic one would hold up very well so I would need something more durable.

Is your greenhouse heated? I've had an itch lately to setup a greenhouse but like sonny580 I live in a windy area so I don't think a plastic one would hold up very well so I would need something more durable.
It is a small one so we got a heater made for a bit larger house. I set it for 40 degrees and so far all good.

Latest posts

Back