2094 vs 394

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still sounds like a bad thing. 660s/394s/395s and what not come and go but the 2094/5s seem to move in like they own the place.

Having said that, I use 660s the most and the 394s seem to hold up better and are easier to get parts for.

OP, keep them the both and get some more.

Consider it done!!!:rock:

I have noticed the parts are hard to find but my local dealer said they can still get parts for it. Only problem is they are sloooowwww as molasses when you need parts!

Last edited:

see if the 2094 has the z key in the flywheel.. Jonsered came out with it after the saw was out for a bit.. it give them a little more power and helps keep them from running backwards

Just acquired a 2094. New bar/chain at 30" in lenght... Has no trouble with hardwood that is dried being noodled!

Scott B

I just sold my 394 on Friday. Nice saw, ran just as strong as the 066's I own. I only had the chance to run a 2094 on one occasion, it also was a nice saw and pulled a 36 with authority. I haven't had a chance to run the 920 Super I recently rebuilt but I will have the chance coming up soon.

Keep them both for the time being, one can never have enough saws.

I just sold my 394 on Friday. Nice saw, ran just as strong as the 066's I own. I only had the chance to run a 2094 on one occasion, it also was a nice saw and pulled a 36 with authority. I haven't had a chance to run the 920 Super I recently rebuilt but I will have the chance coming up soon.

Wellll...LOL

see if the 2094 has the z key in the flywheel.. Jonsered came out with it after the saw was out for a bit.. it give them a little more power and helps keep them from running backwards

I heard about that. Its supposed to do something with the timing. Ill check for sure. Should be an easy way to get more power!

Just acquired a 2094. New bar/chain at 30" in lenght... Has no trouble with hardwood that is dried being noodled!

Scott B

You should like it. They seem to be great saws. And pretty hard to find nowadays.

True that!!!

Heres a couple pics of the 2094 in hard cottonwood!:msp_biggrin:

[video=youtube;wVbN1MJYC58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVbN1MJYC58[/video]
[video=youtube;kDlh1_8xP_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDlh1_8xP_8[/video]

Still need a av mount for it but otherwise shes ready to rock:rock:

I would say take the 2094 every day and twice on sunday. Mostly I say this cuz I have a 2094, but no 394.:hmm3grin2orange: You guys are right about what an adventure they can be to start without that decomp.

I agree with you on the decomp! What do you think of the 2094 since you have a lot of big saws? Jerry ported mine to be a real torque monster. I ask because it's highly doubtful I'll ever have a chance to compare myself.

I agree with you on the decomp! What do you think of the 2094 since you have a lot of big saws? Jerry ported mine to be a real torque monster. I ask because it's highly doubtful I'll ever have a chance to compare myself.

Well I can give a little input I think. I would say that the 2094 and stihl 066/660 are different saws. The 660 is higher strung and may be as fast or faster in standard bucking in moderate sized wood, but the 2094 is definately the saw (of these two) I would reach for if I were going to be sinking a 48" bar all the way in hard wood. An early dual port square top 066 magnum might hang a little better, but i'd still give the big sweede the edge with bigger bars. The closest thing to a 2094 aside from a 660 would be a Husky 1100/2100/2101 which I think would be pretty close with larger bars (maybe a slight edge to the Husky...maybe) or a dolmar 153 Which I would say is the most similar cutting experience for me to the 2094. Those153's have some revs too, but the thing I always liked about them (and the 2094) was their lugging power in larger wood. I would say of all of these the Dolmar has the most usable/comfortable handle arrangement followed by the J-red then the Husky with the Stihl bringin up the rear. I will add that the dolmar, all it's other virtues aside, is terrible on gas compared even to the Husky which is the same vintage. Also an advantage the Dolmar and husky have is the manual oiler backup which I think is important on saws this size.

Interesting Hoss. I never ran a j-red, would love too. I am a 66 lover though. I am glad you threw the 2101 in the mix, nobody would guess one of my favorite's LOL!:eek:uttahere2:GOT A PIC OF THAT j-RED HAVEN'T SEEN ONE IN AWHILE. Norm...........

I am certainly happy to hear your saw is up to doing what you wanted from it, it should still be gaining power until you get 10-12 hours of run time on it. As it was when it left here it could edge out all the 394`s I had built and could hang even with my 066 flat top that is ported to the edge, muffler modded, timing advanced with no decomp, and carb opened up. This test was done with the same bar and chain that I would switch to each saw and cut on a 36" beech log.

Well I can give a little input I think. I would say that the 2094 and stihl 066/660 are different saws. The 660 is higher strung and may be as fast or faster in standard bucking in moderate sized wood, but the 2094 is definately the saw (of these two) I would reach for if I were going to be sinking a 48" bar all the way in hard wood. An early dual port square top 066 magnum might hang a little better, but i'd still give the big sweede the edge with bigger bars. The closest thing to a 2094 aside from a 660 would be a Husky 1100/2100/2101 which I think would be pretty close with larger bars (maybe a slight edge to the Husky...maybe) or a dolmar 153 Which I would say is the most similar cutting experience for me to the 2094. Those153's have some revs too, but the thing I always liked about them (and the 2094) was their lugging power in larger wood. I would say of all of these the Dolmar has the most usable/comfortable handle arrangement followed by the J-red then the Husky with the Stihl bringin up the rear. I will add that the dolmar, all it's other virtues aside, is terrible on gas compared even to the Husky which is the same vintage. Also an advantage the Dolmar and husky have is the manual oiler backup which I think is important on saws this size.

I haven't run the Dolmar, but I have run the rest and would have to agree with everything here but one point. The J-red(mine is a 2095, almost identical to the 2094) seems to rev up and cut noticeably quicker even in small wood than the 066. I ran mine with a 30" bar in 30" dry white oak and in 18" cottonwood back to back with an old 066 red light, that was like new, both saws stock. The 2095 was noticeably heavier, smoother, and faster with much more low-end grunt. The ONLY thing that I am not crazy about with the J-red is that with long bars and a heavy hand the AV has a tendency to bottom out on occasion (however that may just be with my saw). I would like to get some stiffer springs for it.

I am certainly happy to hear your saw is up to doing what you wanted from it, it should still be gaining power until you get 10-12 hours of run time on it. As it was when it left here it could edge out all the 394`s I had built and could hang even with my 066 flat top that is ported to the edge, muffler modded, timing advanced with no decomp, and carb opened up. This test was done with the same bar and chain that I would switch to each saw and cut on a 36" beech log.

Thanks Jerry. You did a great job on that saw.

Thanks for the comparison Hoss,..that confirms my experiences with those saws and I respect your time and experience on these big saws.

I'd like to thank Hoss, too. My muffler modded 660 runs strong but the 2094 is on another level. Not a fair comparison since the Jred is ported. I'd love to run some of those other saws but I don't think there's too many hanging out on the Big Island.

Back