2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2101 top all time muscle saws.

As far as the roughly stock 6 cube saws go I would rate em as follows for brute power all around. 2100/2101/1100. These saws had massive low to mid range torque and when stopping in a cut to inspect tree they would always clear sawdust and take right off. Next sachs 153. These saws were brutes too. Pretty close in comparison but longevity seemed lacking as bolts were always vibrating loose and parts were always breaking. Next stihl 056 magII. This saw would not quite clear sawdust from cut as well as the other two so I would always make sure cut was clean before letting off throttle. Great mid to high end though. Next the stihl 066. This saw is great for anything 36 inch and below but when the bigger bar comes into play it seemed to fight itself a lot. The inverted clutch design really helped in some applications such as ripping but for brute power these were my thoughts. All of em great saws though and I suppose it all comes down to the job at hand.

I'd put the 98cc Pioneer/Poulan-Pro saws (Pioneer P-60/61/62, Pioneer-Partner P-65, Poulan-Pro 655 & 655BP) just behind the 99cc Huskys and well ahead of the SD152/153, 056MII, and 066 if we're talking 'brute power' output. I'd put the 650 Homelite ahead of the 066 too (of course you might as well run a 750 as it's the same saw with more beans).

For low end 'grunt' the 100cc reed valve Homelites (1050, etc) and 103cc Macs (790/795/SP105) are ahead of all of these newer saws, and will really move chips with .404 on big bars (and the 114cc/123cc versions even more so). They don't have the high RPM's of those newer designs however.

Last edited:
not a 2100, but worthy. 288 pulls a 36 just fine.
attachment.php

Ray, and Aaron good thoughts and input! Frasier the 288's put a smile on may face every run. Amazing the grunt! Is that about a 1993? lOOKS LIKE ONE of mine.

Hoped to get run this today and get some pics but all three jobs got postponed.
So I figured I'd take at least one pic before I put her away for another week...
IMAG2478.jpg

I'd put the 98cc Pioneer/Poulan-Pro saws (Pioneer P-60/61/62, Pioneer-Partner P-65, Poulan-Pro 655 & 655BP) just behind the 99cc Huskys and well ahead of the SD152/153, 056MII, and 066 if we're talking 'brute power' output. I'd put the 650 Homelite ahead of the 066 too (of course you might as well run a 750 as it's the same saw with more beans).

For low end 'grunt' the 100cc reed valve Homelites (1050, etc) and 103cc Macs (790/795/SP105) are ahead of all of these newer saws, and will really move chips with .404 on big bars (and the 114cc/123cc versions even more so). They don't have the high RPM's of those newer designs however.

Talking "brute power"

Hook them to a mill ripping some big hardwoods.

Although I have no experience with the big Partners, I can tell you the 6 cube SDs are ahead of the 6 cube Huskys. I have milled with several of both.

The Huskys have the nod on bucking since they carry a bit more speed and are lighter.

I like them both, but the SD is not lacking in grunt by any means. Your mileage may vary of course.

Ahh, love them Dolmars, yet to run one but gotta have one. Where you been little buddy:msp_biggrin: Held one of them 153's once hard not to want it.

Are the 153-166 able to achieve higher rpm than I think I saw listed 8,500? Were they just limited by carb governor like the early 1100-2100? Aaron I know I had not heard of Pioneer until maybe 6 years ago. Just not crossed my path or had much knowledge of em. But talked to some since that said they made some real horses partner too. One in the same right? Went from Canadian, to partner was Sweeden? I forget? One of those 6 cube pioneers was for sale on C-list you remember Im sure. Guy wanted 900 or a thousand. Never had seen that model. I wouldn't mind owning it. For milling then the dolmars have a longer stroke? Just wondering if they are stronger for milling, what would give them the edge? I would guess longer stroke.

Dunno about the 166, bet I'm sure the 8500 RPM is dogged in speed.

the 153s will turn 12,500 or more depending on the advance. (govenor defeated)

Remember the 2101 is 40mm stroke, 153 42mm and the 166 is a whopping 48mm stroke.

166@ 118cc uses the same bore piston as the 2101@ 99cc stroke= torque.

Oh I have been trying to play nice with the children, don't want to go to camp you know?

I figured there was a stroke difference. Yeah so that is what i wondered then, same as the early huskies. Just governed by carb, and we know yep easy fix. My 2101 is 10,500. And bet it's close dogged in, I know what you mean, you and me talked about these ols warriors before, they just keep chuggin. RPM's don't really drop like u well know:msp_wink: What about kids at camp? Your kids/

I figured there was a stroke difference. Yeah so that is what i wondered then, same as the early huskies. Just governed by carb, and we know yep easy fix. My 2101 is 10,500. And bet it's close dogged in, I know what you mean, you and me talked about these ols warriors before, they just keep chuggin. RPM's don't really drop like u well know:msp_wink: What about kids at camp? Your kids/

Naw my kids are grown and gone.

I was taliking about da chitlins around here.

You have no doubt heard of "BANNED CAMP?

Someone once said;
"Never argue with an Idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Are the 153-166 able to achieve higher rpm than I think I saw listed 8,500? Were they just limited by carb governor like the early 1100-2100? Aaron I know I had not heard of Pioneer until maybe 6 years ago. Just not crossed my path or had much knowledge of em. But talked to some since that said they made some real horses partner too. One in the same right? Went from Canadian, to partner was Sweeden? I forget? One of those 6 cube pioneers was for sale on C-list you remember Im sure. Guy wanted 900 or a thousand. Never had seen that model. I wouldn't mind owning it. For milling then the dolmars have a longer stroke? Just wondering if they are stronger for milling, what would give them the edge? I would guess longer stroke.

Norm the $1000 (and then $900) saw on our CL was a Poulan-Pro 655BP. Descended from the Pioneer P-60 through P-62 and Pioneeer/Partner P-65 saws. Poulan did a bit more engineering on it to make the 655BP. It's all North American. No Swedish blood in it. VERY strong saws that are light for the power output. I've ran a 655BP (was Ambull's saw.........ran it at the GTG last November). Felt a bit lighter than a 6ci Husky. Stronger than a stock MS660 by a wide margin.

PB030119.jpg

Last edited:
Talking "brute power"

Hook them to a mill ripping some big hardwoods.

Although I have no experience with the big Partners, I can tell you the 6 cube SDs are ahead of the 6 cube Huskys. I have milled with several of both.

The Huskys have the nod on bucking since they carry a bit more speed and are lighter.

I like them both, but the SD is not lacking in grunt by any means. Your mileage may vary of course.

I've never milled with a chainsaw. Ran an SD152 and wasn't impressed with it. Maybe it was tired...

Sachs got it:msp_biggrin: Aaron yeah some of those Pioneer and poulan's catch my eye. My first intro to Pioneer, was when Jeanne's cousins husband, needed parts to put his saw back on the road. I told Donnie to bring it over. It was a p42 or p45 I forget. I was really impressed with the build and design. All he needed was a clutch, bearing and some other odds and ends. I was amazded how obsolete the parts were at the time. Thanks to Cloverdale they got me everything, and we put it together one day. It was so worth it to see the look on Donnies face, he was an ex timber faller who used them for years. That was maybe six years ago.

Sachs got it:msp_biggrin: Aaron yeah some of those Pioneer and poulan's catch my eye. My first intro to Pioneer, was when Jeanne's cousins husband, needed parts to put his saw back on the road. I told Donnie to bring it over. It was a p42 or p45 I forget. I was really impressed with the build and design. All he needed was a clutch, bearing and some other odds and ends. I was amazded how obsolete the parts were at the time. Thanks to Cloverdale they got me everything, and we put it together one day. It was so worth it to see the look on Donnies face, he was an ex timber faller who used them for years. That was maybe six years ago.

Those are damn good saws. We don't seen them around here very often though. I don't think they had much of a dealer network in our area. Seen the occasional Farmsaw around here, but that's about it. I'd like to get ahold of a good P-40 series/PP 455, P-50 series/PP 525, or P-60 series/PP 655 someday...

Latest posts

Back